advertisement

B&W CM1, a powerful amp modest costing

A short question: owning the B&W CM1 (new model) I want to pair it with a powerful amp, however I can't compare the fallow products I have in mind.

CM1 + Naim nait 5i (later + CD 5i), CM1 + Cambridge Audio 840 A or the cheapest solution: Denons PMA 1500 AE.

I know you perhaps would prefer not to, but if you could force yourself to go second hand, then your options become much wider.

For instance an MF A3.2 integrated would do a fine job indeed. Did with my B&Ws for a good long time and I'd have the same again too.

Exposure, as already mentioned, are a funky match and you could do worse than seek out a s/h Naim122x/150x. But to my ears the already sharpish Naim sound is not flattered by B&W's metal tweeters.

I think someone mentioned Creek earlier, Bloody marvellous, and plenty of current drive too.

Loads to choose from s/h. Perhaps give it some thought.:eek:

Good luck.

Ok since Arthur reiterated the Creek I'm going to re-reiterate this. Honestly the Destiny 2 is really something and I heard it with the B&W range that you have. Ok the speakers were 10 times the size but the same tweeter and no metalic harshness. Easy to demo so give it a try. The Naim entry levels are all good, and 152/155 is fab, but I reckon with those speakers Creek is your destiny. ( but then what is your budget, actually?)

3 Grand to do better.

Really?:rolleyes:

How about the NaitXS?

Leema's integrated offerings?

Exposure's mighty fine efforts?

And dozens more. It's all very well this excessive hyperbole, but you may influence what a fellow spends his hard earned on, so some rational appraisal may be more appropriate.
Tried the XS. Nait better. Leema amps tend to be a bit on the lean side and lack the mojo (thanks, Kuma) of the 5i.

Didn't try the Exposure, but have heard it recently and, I agree, it's good.

I did find a better amp, but the ECI-5 is more than thrice the price.

Incidentally, hyperbole implies excessive.

I think we've been wasting our respective breaths. Nico was last on this forum a couple of years ago. I suspect he has an amp and is happy.

Tried the XS. Nait better. Leema amps tend to be a bit on the lean side and lack the mojo (thanks, Kuma) of the 5i.

Didn't try the Exposure, but have heard it recently and, I agree, it's good.

I did find a better amp, but the ECI-5 is more than thrice the price.

Incidentally, hyperbole implies excessive.

Indeed. But ''excessive hyperbole'' nails it down. ;)

Couldn't drive it properly.

It was a freshly recappd Nait 2. If it had an option to add on a HC, it would have been better probably.

I heard the much bigger CM9's powered by the new Creek Destiny 2, and it had total effortless control. The combination was both transparent and, when the music demanded, surprisingly lush. Ok, the Destiny 2 is over budget, but I think that its a good bit better than a Nait 5i or a Cambridge 840i (or a Nait XS). I think it doesn't get appreciated on forums, perhaps because they use to have the tag of being the poor person's Naim, and they are now made in China. The outgoing model won't be quite as good but available cheaper now. I would stress that if I was blindfolded and I'd been told the Destiny 2 was a £3k pre/power combination I wouldn't have been surprised.

Elephantears

How would you describe the difference between the Destiny 2 and Naim XS?
I have a pair of B&W CM8 and are thinking about getting the Destiny but have no dealer that sells creek in my region. The Naim sounded good when I auditioned it with a pair of focal speakers. Maybe a little to forward at some times but very good balance with in the different instruments in the music.

I've had the Denon PMA 1500 AE with a pair of B&W 683 for over three years now. I've also tried the PMA 1500 with the 603s, 685, 703, 704, 685 and CM1. They gell together vey well. Surprisingly good synergy. I heard the 683 with the CA 840A, but for me the synergy was not there. Although the sound was detailed and there was clarity, the whole presentation was a bit on the thin, slightly edgy side. At least to my ears and given my taste in music. Add to this the versatility of the PMA 1500 - you can use it as a pre, power, phono or integrated. That would be my choice.

P.S. I have not heard the Naim with B&W speakers. It could be worse or way better.

advertisement

Back