advertisement

B&O worth it and pricing?

I'm a little late to this thread, but some years ago I had a demo with my own music (CD) to a pair of Beolab 3's, coupled with the Beolab 11 subwoofer. I'd agree with Beoblokes summation of the Beolab 2 for music, as it was primarily designed for AV purposes, but the Beolab 11 is much more aligned for music and provided a nice underpinning of bass without drawing undue attention to itself.

I thought the combination of Beolab 3's and Beolab 11 sub was exceptionally good. At the time I was running a CDI/72/Hi-Cap/180/SBL all Naim system, and thought that the B&O combination pretty much equalled what I was getting from the SBL's in terms of detail resolution and transient response (hence 'musicality or PRaT)

Of course this is somewhat subjective as it was not an A/B blind comparison, or anything passably objective like that, and I was on holiday interstate. The environment was also tricky in that there was a lot of glass in an very open showroom, and the speakers and sub were effectively in the open with no wall or boundary re-inforcement etc.

Still, I was very impressed, and perhaps like a Trojan horse, the experience of both elegance, lack of aesthetic and physical clutter, and a very convincing and musical sound, started a train of conspiratorial thought against long held audiophile beliefs, which culminated years later, in my becoming a B&O owner.

It's surprising what one can discover when we put long held audiophile viewpoints and opinions aside, look at the objective evidence as to the technical ability of a product, and with an open mind, discover new ways of finding musical and ownership satisfaction with the kit we choose to purchase and use in our homes.

B&O hasn't been worth considering since the early 1980's. Over-priced and under-performing.

The system:

1900 Receiver
2400 Turntable
S45 speakers (or something better, which would not be hard to find)

B&O hasn't been worth considering since the early 1980's. Over-priced and under-performing.

The system:

1900 Receiver
2400 Turntable

it seems many would disagree with you!

Also, that system you’ve listed came firmly from the ‘audio’ range and, whilst perfectly decent, falls short of what the company’s best products are capable of.

I have a local B&O shop in my town. Some stunning stuff in there. The TV's are mostly rebadged LG (as are most/all OLED's) but I think unlike others ie. Sony, Panasonic etc B&O don't develop their own Panel driving software and hardware and mostly use LG's.

I was in Harrods and heard, seen B&O's latest floor standing speakers, the ones which have a wooden, slated front side and open up automatically. Sounded very nice and are probably worth their money just as a Work of art.

My recent experience with Class D has been a little mixed so I can't say if I could live with a pair of those for music though.

I always love to own a beoSound 9000 CD changer, though I only play files... It looks gorgeous!

Those Beolab 28's are awesome in the theatrical sense, just as awesome is the price however.

I passed on the Beolab 3 offer in the end due to car issues mostly, but after hearing an A9 recently I wasn't that bothered. Granted the A9 was in John Lewis and playing something terrible, it still sounded pretty ropey for £3k

In light of my own B&O thread, I’m going to say yes, they’re worth it. Spot on after sales service, after a product I bought a couple of years ago failed, they’ve replaced it with a new, upgraded product and given me a new warranty with it… you wouldn’t get that from Apple!

The system:

1900 Receiver
2400 Turntable

When the assessment of audio reproduction of music is largely subjective within the audiophile community, your opinion thus formed, is easy to understand. And it must be said, can be applied to many makes and models of audiophile kit.

However when it comes to B&O, I think your opinion is likely to be in the minority amongst music lovers.

For me personally, as a classical musician first, and audio enthusiast second, it's the best kit I've ever owned by a large margin and brings musical and ownership satisfaction far exceeding audiophile 'brands' and models with the audiophile stamp of approval, that I've owned in the past. As such, ten years on, I'd say it's worth every penny I paid for it and then some.

advertisement

Back