advertisement

B&O worth it and pricing?

JimmyB

pfm Member
Well my very first system was a B&O thing from a relative with terrible speakers (that started my first DIY attempts with plaster damping) and a turntable which I eventually bypassed with my Planar 2.

Since then though I haven't heard any B&O but have now been offered a set of Beolab 3's and a Beolab 2 subwoofer.

Anybody heard these and willing to give a summary of good and bad points?

Any idea of the value (looked up eBay but it's a bit sketchy)?

Last edited:
I’ve always wanted to listen to a pair of Beolab 5s. The design is intriguing, but they do seem a bit pricey

From what I've seen, design and build awesome but speakers always very compact so can they keep up? Especially at the huge prices new.

Best for their tv’s with great sound in one box. The rest of the gear - better sounds for less elsewhere.

I like the headphones. Exceptionally comfortable and well made.

I don't think B&O have ever competed on being "best sound for the price."

Tim

To me, B&O is iconic stuff that sounds good (or very good) to boot.
I have a sizeable vintage collection and it all sounds great after careful restoration. Just listen to those lovely M70 speakers…
Yes you can obviously get as good or better for less outlay, but then it’s not B&O – just ordinary stuff in ugly boxes with tasteless design.
People often ask me where and how much, thinking they are watching and listening to modern components you can buy new. Well you could always buy a new Beogram 4000C of course, if you wanted to. ;)

Adam will put this with better words I’m certain.

Last edited:
Have been very pleasantly surprised - Beocord 5000 (drawer type) is very good for a 2 header and Beolab 6000's are good for small scale music (which given I live in a 1 bed apartment is all I can play at realistic volumes anyhow).

I would baulk at paying new B&O prices but when bought second hand B&O gear starts to become excellent value for money.

Recently sold a pair of active ATC 19s as I preferred my Beolab 9s both sound wise and aesthetically.

Last edited:
Ah, B&O. It’s all style over substance isn’t it? Posh externals stuffed with cheap components. You can buy far better for less money.

Well, that’s what some would have you believe and, the problem is that B&O sits out on it’s own and doesn’t really plough any common furrow. Yes, it all looks nice and design has always been a core philosophy behind the company’s products, but let’s remember that the company has always had serious technical abilities to back it up.

After all, they had one of the first commercially available linear tracking turntables, invented the HX Pro system for cassette recording and licensed it back to Dolby, the ‘Pramanik’ stylus profile is named after the engineer Subir Pramanik, who invented it whilst working for B&O and they had one of the largest largest loudspeaker design and development facilities in Europe in the 1970s. You think a fully integrated round-the-house audio and video system is a new development of the Alexa generation? Afraid not.B&O were doing it in the early 1980s.

In addition, they always offered starter ‘Audio’ ranges as well as the high end ‘Hi-Fi’ models. If your experience of B&O is the former then you might indeed wonder what all the fuss is about. Indeed, they haven’t always got it right, like many companies. For every Beogram 4000 there was a Beocenter 2200!

As to the components mentioned by the OP, I love the Beolab 3s. Yes, they’re small enough to sit on the palm of your hand and so have their limitations but I’ve watched audiophiles’ jaws drop when they listened to a pair behind a sonically transparent curtain and they were then revealed! Price depends on condition and colour (white and blue are rarer and so command higher prices, for example) but a good pair of the more regular colours on floor stands are worth £500-600. I don’t have a pair currently but they are definitely on my list.

The Beolab 2 is a different kettle of fish. It was B&O’s first subwoofer and, as far as I’m concerned, is a bloody awful thing. If you like your bass delivered in a series of huge monotonous thumps half a second or so behind the rest of the music then by all means grab it but, if not, give it a very wide berth. Then again, they’re still popular so if it’s cheap enough then grab that too and flog it on - going rate is anywhere between £300-600, although I have no idea why.

This should be fun, B&O fans make Linnies look casually disinterested.

No, we really don’t! Although, obviously if you keep saying stuff like that I will have to come round and give you a severe Chinese burn…

Having had some very positive results with ICEpower amps, I think we have B&O to thank for their initial development.

Problem with B&O you never know.

Some of their products sound excellent
Some of their products sound terrible
Some of their products are difficult/impossible to repair
Many of their products are very expensive for what you get.
Most of their product style looks the business.

I sold on a pair of B & O speakers for a friend.
They looked good, the grille and cabinets looked ‘expensive.’

On closer examination, I discovered the speaker cables ( with DIN speaker plugs ) were permanently attached.
( I’ve never been impressed by speakers whose cables go through a hole in the back panel )
The two drive units both had paper cones.
They looked like Philips’ units to me.
I didn’t try them out.

A B & O Collector in London travelled 60 plus miles to pick them up, and was very pleased
to have them.

On closer examination, I discovered the speaker cables ( with DIN speaker plugs ) were permanently attached.
( I’ve never been impressed by speakers whose cables go through a hole in the back panel )
I didn’t try them out.

A B & O Collector in London travelled 60 plus miles to pick them up, and was very pleased
to have them.

They certainly use other brands units allround, doubt they make their own.
Old 5700 had both Celestion and Philips units, if memory serve.

Ah, thanks for the write up Beobloke, I was looking at the sub for using with my TV primarily but sounds like a hard pass on it.
The Beolab 3s have peaked my interest as I didn't click that they were so small (palm of your hand small) so I may have a look again at these minus the sub.

Hoping to get some floorstanders soon too so it looks my non-hoarding resolution has failed!

I didn’t try them out.

to have them.

It's true - not all of their speakers were great. There's even one version of the Beovox S55 that commits the unforgivable sin of putting a huge soft dust cap on to a cone midrange driver so that it looks like a dome unit!

advertisement

Back