advertisement

Avondale TPR4

Gaius

pfm Member
After reading YNWOAN’s write up and very helpful guide to fitting Les’s new TPR4 reg I called Les on Friday and I will say he is such a delight to speak with.

The TPR4 has been on my radar for a while, anyway Les popped it in the post and it arrived today.

Ewen 1970 was due over for a catch up and we put the afternoon aside to have a play with the new toy.

Very easy to fit but I thank Ewen for his soldering skills which have become quite accomplished.

We took a mark of how my system was sounding as is and used tracks form Agnes Obel and Tom Waits.

The TPR4 was destined for the HiCap which is currently driving a NAC 62 (olive), this pre is a sweet one and displaced my last 72.

The difference was quite clear straight away, the sound of a striking match on the Waits album caught our attention and there was an alright then moment!

I Never Talk to Strangers was the Waits track; a duet with Bette Midler, crisp and clean, better separation between the notes and a bigger sound over all. With the Agnes Obel her voice had such presence, it IS how she records her music but this rendition showed much more nuance.

Tonight then; I think it’s getting even better. Allison Kraus & Union Station, New favorite, details in the way a chord is played, a more complete sound and as I judge everything on, the vocal, and the emotion is very well portrayed.

Timing is superb, I have AC/DC’s Black Ice playing, tight as you like.

In summary, a great little upgrade that makes a lot of sense. It’s very clean; it makes the pre better but does not change the signature, which for me is very important.

Hats off to Les for a fantastic product.

Mark

PS: Krall's Girl in the Other Room is sounding stunning!

System was:

Naim NAC 62/ Hi TPR4/Naim CDi/Witch Hat Audio Moonlight Monos/ SBLs

I listened to the XX's first album tonight and the bass focus and texture were quite remarkable - zero overhang! I'm really very impressed by the TPR4.

Yeah this is a real no brainer to me. The improvement was immediate to notice. Cleaner, crisper, deeper more defined bass.

Its well made and easy to fit.

Simply put, if you have an olive or CB Hi Cap, you should fit one of these.

Excellent value for money upgrade

How does this relate to the Avondale ASR module? That was a very worthwhile upgrade but required substantial mods to the HiCap. Is this something different altogether?

(You will gather I have no idea how all this stuff works, but I know what sounds good).

As I understand it the ASR module essentially turned the Hi-Cap into a class A amplifier and hence ran pretty hot. As I understand it the TPR4 is a different approach altogether and I can confirm that it doesn't run at all hot. I should add that I haven't heard an ASR equipped Hi-Cap (don't think I have anyway) so can't comment on how the ASR and TPR4 compare sonically.

I'm not sure if the ASR module is actually available anymore - but I don't recall it needing 'substantial mods' to fit.

The ASR was a drop in replacement and had the same pinouts as the TPR4 and hicap regulator. Its method of operation was very different - being a shunt regulator rather than a series regulator. It had the most open and detailed soundstage I've ever heard from a hicap. I haven't heard the ASR and TPR4 side by side yet but I've fitted both and they're far better than the LM317 regulators and a no-brainer for those of who whose hicaps are too old for the Naim DR despite the box being the same shape for the last 30 years.

I've owned 2 ASR Hi-caps until recently one I used on a 32.5 pre and the other on a CD 3.5. They have been in my system for 3 years and I found them way above the standard Hi-cap. The first ASR one I had modified I was going back and forth between a standard Hi-cap and the ASR.
I found it so dynamic notes were so sharp and crisp, vocals were effortless, went back to the standard Hi-cap it seemed lifeless in comparison.
I've moved onto a Grad 1 and TPX2 but still retain the ASR Hi-cap on the CD 3.5.

Regards,

Martin

Has anyone tried the TPR4 mod and not been happy? I am tempted to try this in my HiCap but have had my fingers burnt in the past with 3rd party upgrades that have had glowing reviews but have not lived up to the hype. I have generally come to the conclusion that the manufacturers version is the best.

What is tempting me this time is the people that have had positive experiences and the fact that Naim brought out their own DR upgrade, which I assume does the same sort of thing as the TPR4.

My system is LP12, Ittok, Adikt, TAPS, CD3.5, 72, HiCap, 250, SBL - all on Mana

Mike

I think you'd love it Mike, it does a lot of good things but does not screw up the Naim house sound. It will still sound like a big bouncy full fat HiCap, it will just do a better job.

I will be putting another one in that Hi that drives my NAXO.

Anyway, in the odd event you don't like it, it is very easy to undo and I think Les has a returns policy.

Mark

Well, the TPR4 has been in a couple of weeks now, I had a good listen Monday evening and I think it has run in, the whole system sounding much better than it was both on CD and vinyl.

Highly recommended.

Mark

Seeing as my humble little Naim combo is likely to stay put for a while now - especially since I invested in a service for the HiCap - I may well put the TPR4 on my radar. Nice that it's also possible to put the HC back to original state in the future if needed.

Very much considering this upgrade. Unfortunately I have absolutely no soldering skills whatsoever, is this the sort of work i can entrust to my local tv repair man?

Anyone considering installing the TPR4 in a Supercap should be aware that six modules are needed. At the time of writing this isn't made clear on the Avondale web site.

I have 6 modules here waiting to go into a Supercap that never turned up. We can service and fit them within a week.

I have just finished the Ryan Sound Labs loner trial. All I will say on that is - Wow, these cards are very good and I will be buying the transform kit plus the MC cards.

Now, I am thinking that perhaps I should consider getting the TPR4 installed in my olive HiCap. The RSL cards take the music replay to another level. Will the TPR4 bring further improvements?

Colin

advertisement

Back