Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[IC] Avondale RMS Revelations

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by divedeepdog, Jul 30, 2019.

1. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

I'll try and find some pics tomorrow.

IC as there are some options as I have 2 pairs I'd sell, but one set of crossovers.

Some background, Les and his band of engineers built these speakers with rolled steel cabinet, fully welded with integrated stands and external cross-overs in the 90's. As well as unconventional material, they are ported down the stand.
    They have a certain industrial style, function over bling which you'll either love or hate.
    There are 2 versions, Ones with tweeter (Focal 120K) over 4.5" woofer, Two's woofer /tweeter /woofer.
    I have both, plus another pair of 2's I'll keep.

Ones f/s are complete, all drive units are in good working order. Black ash wood tops with natural ash external cross-over.

Two's are early versions, need some TLC. The foam dispersion around the drivers needs replacing, and a pair of woofers (there's 4 in total) are rubbing. They look B110 *sized so there are alternatives that'll fit? The Focal Kevlar tweeters work, salvaged from Impulse H2's. No external cross-over, however I have a pair that can be measured/copied, or an opportunity to go active with a Mini DSP (or similar)

Sound quality, I'm rubbish at description, so for some idea, they usurped SBL's (foo PXO too), deeper bass and holographic image. Very similar to Acoustic Energy AE2's, but again deeper with wider soundstage. The lack of cabinet colouration becomes obvious after a few familiar tunes.

I'll do my best to answer questions, and get some pics up ASAP.

*There's at least 1 pair with Monacor t135c carbon fibre woofers, but mine will need structural mods for them to fit.

2. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

The outer pairs are up for grabs. Those keen eyed will see the woodwork is familiar to Stands Unique .

[​IMG]IMG_4487 by mark leatherland, on Flickr

Belgian Sub-woofer not included...

mickyricky likes this.
  3. Paddy

Paddy pfm Member

I have a pair of the Revelation IIs with CF mid bass drivers and they are stunning speakers. Currently I'm using NS1000s with custom built cross-overs from RFC. When the cross-overs were being built i was without my NS speakers and bought out the RMS's to run while waiting. Having set them up, I was immediately questioning whether i had made a bad decision to have the work done on the Yamaha's, as the Revelations were exactly that. They are superb sounding speakers and i plan to invest in the cross-overs with RFC at some point as Paul does such a superb job.

Good luck with the sale, these are rarely seen.

divedeepdog likes this.
  4. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

5. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo I prefer spots.

What prices do you have in mind? Location?

6. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

I’d like £800 for the Ones, difficult to price as I seem to have bought the last pair of Two’s (£900), open to reasonable offers.

Two’s even more difficult to price as they’re incomplete, but so much potential, £500? Again I’m open to negotiation and will assist as much as I can getting them working.

I’ve spoken to Les, his records of cross-overs are lost. I’m not sure how difficult measuring inductors is to replicate crossovers.

I’m in Derbyshire, travelling to north London on the 10th if it helps

7. Ewen1970

Ewen1970 The Ocean Doesn't Want Me

Better than my SBLs and PXO then??.

8. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

Short answer, Yes!

They go deeper and they image far beyond the cabinets, similar in that there's little cabinet resonance but as with all ported speakers there's an element of chuff/one note bass. I've used subs (with SBL's too) and feel the bass is tuneful.

Ewen1970 likes this.
  9. Ewen1970

Ewen1970 The Ocean Doesn't Want Me

Now you’re tempting me.....

Someone buy these plz!

10. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

Piece of piss to measure the inductors just desolder one leg first. I can stick my lcr meter in the post if required

divedeepdog likes this.
  11. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

I’m rubbish at describing, but to add a little context, ATC40’s mk1, and Shahanian Arcs have been and gone in preference to the Revelations.

I’m attempting to clear space to move house.

12. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

Wrong time of year, priced too high or too rare ?? Price is probably more flexible than my space constraints

I used the Ones at the 1st Keggy wam show, and the Two's at NEBO 9. Both well received in difficult environments.

13. deanf

deanf pfm Member

Dunno, I wish I could afford them though. Have a bump.

divedeepdog likes this.
  14. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

Still here, still need the space :D

15. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

Bump the tumbleweed. Took a pair to a bakeoff yesterday, sounding fantastic with Canary valve amp.

jonnoshore and mickyricky like this.
  16. candleman

candleman pfm Member

Can the crossovers for the ones be used on the twos?

jonnoshore likes this.
  17. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

Not sure, first pair I borrowed off Les the woofers were both connected together and run 2 way. The pair I’m using and keeping are 2.5way.

It’s been suggested replicating/measuring isn’t too difficult, just needs a bit of time and a guiding hand.

18. zener

zener fluff

do you still have the Rev 1 speakers?

19. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

Yes, still here...

20. zener

zener fluff

yes .. sorry was busy. Heres my plan. If you can drop them off at Avondale and Les will pay you , I will send him the money .