advertisement

Avondale NCC300 amp project ..

I thought I'd post some pics of my 300 build. I was laid off at Easter and as I was going to get the enclosures made at work that idea went out of the window. As funds are tight I needed to get creative so I decided to build both amps in one box. I prefer monos but needs must and I just happened to have an old defunct Mac G5 gathering dust so it was duly gutted and cut down.

I had a large heatsink which I cut in half so one each side.

The transformers sit on a base plate on the bottom of the enclosure.

Loudspeaker binding posts and input sockets fitted.

This is the mains inlet panel that sits between the heatsinks.

Drilling and tapping the heatsinks to take the T section extrusions.

Back panel more or less finished.

With the heatsinks removed you can see how I've stacked the active stuff on top of the transformers. The two upright back to back boards are the LS protection boards.

I also spun a couple of knobs for the two on/off switches.

That's it for moment. I've stripped it all down for painting and the amplifier boards need finishing. All being well I hope to have it up and running some time next week :)

Beautiful! I've likewise been eyeing a defunct G5 for a dual mono NCC300 build. Yours is an inspiration! Thanks for the build pix!

Cheers flashgo. I'm leaving the front panel silver but painting the rest satin black. I've applied a coat of stonechip to the rest of the case to hide the damage its suffered over the years. Not sure that was such a good idea but hey ho. There's not much left of the side panels when you remove all the junk so I cut aluminium panels and bonded them up to where the perforations start to curve round. Looks ok.

Here's a couple of the case after applying stone chip. The first one shows the solid panels I bonded to the sides to fill in all the holes after removing all the unwanted stuff.

The front panel is masked off so it'll stay silver. I'm not sure yet if I've done the right thing but the case was a bit battered and bodged up and the stone chip does at least give the exterior an even overall finish.

I'll post some more pics later today after I've sprayed it black.

Thanks chiily. If you're serious about a case for your KSA PM me and we might be able to sort something out.

I've been thinking for a while about making enclosures. I've been talking to someone who may be able to laser cut the panels and then it's just a bit of drilling and tapping and some painting or anodising maybe. The market is awash with Chinese stuff but it seems to be getting more and more expensive. Maybe I'm just daydreaming or talking bollocks:rolleyes:

Thank you for the kind comments. They keep me going. I just wish I could apply myself with equal measure to the renovation work at home :eek:

Anyway I’ve gone and done it and the case is now satin black with a silver front. I think it’s looks fine but I’ll post a few pics later to see if it gets PFM approval;)

advertisement

Back