advertisement

Avondale CD3 opinions

Jim

pfm Member
Having heard one some years back ,and thought at the time it was very good, i was wondering if there are any other players out there that better it or equal it for the money.

I nearly went for one from a PF member but the distance was too far and i just don't trust the post.

Hi Jim, I use an Avondale’d CD 3. It’s got all the mods apart from an external power supply. I bought it off a PFM member, sent from Britain the Germany without any problems. So far it’s the best sounding CD player I’ve owned especially taking the price I paid into account (I think it was around £300), peanuts! It easily out preformed the previous set up, Naim CD 5 with Hicap.
Hope this helps.

The logisitics of after-sales service at some 2,000 km from home and the horrors of haulage firms explain why I did not get one.
I was very impressed when I heard the Avondale revamped CD3 (I had a standard CD3 at the time alongside an Arcam CD36). The sound was extremely realistic on the discs I brought with me to the demo.

Hi Jim,

I have an ACD3 - to my ears it's the most analogue sounding CD player I've heard. It seems to convey to music and the sense of musicians playing together rather than just a record of the performance.

Frankly, you're not that far from Les in Chesterfield, why not pay him a visit?

I have and ACD3 but live in Kent near the M25 (if you're passing)

Hi Jim,

I have an ACD3 - to my ears it's the most analogue sounding CD player I've heard. It seems to convey to music and the sense of musicians playing together rather than just a record of the performance.

Thanks for the invite but it is a bit far.

I did pay a visit some 6 years ago but didn't go ahead with the purchase. Still haven't heard anything like it but then i don't demo much.

That does not sound like a proper Avondale CD3 you have there.

I believe that you can get the Naim CD 3 partially Avondale’d, mine is such a player, like I said the only thing that hasn’t been done is the external PSU. Nevertheless, it does sound proper good.

Hi Jim,

What players would you say came close to the ACD3. Sorry if you didn't compare. Just wondering how it stacks up to the big boys.

What players would you say came close to the ACD3. Sorry if you didn't compare. Just wondering how it stacks up to the big boys.

I bought my ACD3 in preference to a Naim CDS2. At the time it was much cheaper than the CDS2 plus power supply but had similar though different properties.

I had to spend a huge amount of dosh to get a clear improvement. At s/h prices the ACD3 is a steal. If you can find one.

Cheers,

DV

In all honesty I haven't heard anything that comes close CD player wise. I went from an Acoustica.org.uk modded CD3.5 to the ACD3. There was no going back and im so satisfied and content I stopped listening and comparing CD players.

The nearest I've heard recently is a local Pinkfisherman with his MacBook and Weiss DAC. it was very good.

The thing is with cd showing its age and who knows how long it will last, i see players coming out with usb to connect your laptop. I suppose i could download the files and convert them to aiif and burn them to cdr.

Does the ACD3 plays cdr's ok with no problems?

CD3 as it came out of the Naim factory is rather underrated. Mine (1995) still sounds superb without any modifications.

Mentioning the dac input earlier on new cd player's i just found out the Densen 420XS has one.
How would one of these compare to the Avondale CD3 sound wise?

advertisement

Back