advertisement

Avian Flu.

It's tragic for the birds, and, not least, farmed birds. There have been massive kills of farmed birds, some in the US by turning off ventilation and allowing the birds to die of heat stroke. Unspeakable cruelty underlies our meat consumption.

It's tragic for the birds, and, not least, farmed birds. There have been massive kills of farmed birds, some in the US by turning off ventilation and allowing the birds to die of heat stroke. Unspeakable cruelty underlies our meat consumption.

That rather horrible example apart, you presumably know very little at all of UK meat production.
Sheep meat is 100% free range.
The huge majority of cow meat is free range, although farms with land that will not take cattle over-winter, will house stock for the worst of the weather.
Pig meat - buy UK freedom standard. Farrowing crates have been illegal in the UK for quite a considerable time.
Chicken meat - plenty of options, from intensive to free-range.

Free range is not as cute and cuddly as it sounds, especially for poultry. In many egg units, the hens choose to stay in the shed, especially in rubbish weather. They are also open to every disease possible, and predation.

There was an indiot on R4 this morning, from the National Trust. Apparently, the ltest strain of bird flu evolved in intensive poultry units in China. I should love to see the proof of that. It may well have been IDENTIFIED first in poultry units................... Here in the UK, wild birds have brought various strains into domestic stock. The also went on to suggest that there were various things that could be done to stop spread in wild birds - total fantasy, very sadly.
Different species involved, but I strongly suspect that the mortality rate in wild birds due to bird flu, is WAY less than that during the 1964-65 winter.

Free range is not as cute and cuddly as it sounds, especially for poultry. In many egg units, the hens choose to stay in the shed, especially in rubbish weather. They are also open to every disease possible, and predation.
I used to work on a free range egg farm & what you say was absolutely true of the place. The main predators were rats, cats, & hawks. Cannibalization of weak & injured birds was common, as was suffocation caused by too many birds crowding into nesting boxes. In infectious disease outbreaks - generally introduced by wild birds - a shed's flock would be culled, by hand. It was the worst job I've ever had.

I used to work on a free range egg farm & what you say was absolutely true of the place. The main predators were rats, cats, & hawks. Cannibalization of weak & injured birds was common, as was suffocation caused by too many birds crowding into nesting boxes. In infectious disease outbreaks - generally introduced by wild birds - a shed's flock would be culled, by hand. It was the worst job I've ever had.

Thanks for the reminder why I shouldn't eat eggs. My other half hasn't for decades but I sometimes get lazy when I need to grab a sandwich or something.

Farm gate eggs are the go if you live in or close to the rurals. :)

Years ago we'd get the odd box from my Mum's hens but we never have eggs in the house now so it really is just when I'm out and about. Increasingly easy to find a vegan sarnie these days.

advertisement

Back