advertisement

AVI Laboratory Series CD Player transport/laser

vrazji

pfm Member
Quick question - anyone knows what transport/laser this uses and if it's still available/serviceable?

Just noticed one locally for a good price and like the compact(ish) form... Was well regarded in it's time if I remember correctly?

It was well regarded and I have its older brother, the CD2000. The 2000 uses the Phillips CDM9, mine is coming up to 20 years old and it did wreck its drawer opening mechanism. A £10 part from Japan fixed it with an hour of my time. I don't know if the same one is in the Lab. I doubt it as AVI reported problems getting spares for the CDM9 within the warranty period on their 2000 series gear.

Watch out for AVI gear, they DO NOT service older models. I have asked them re 2 models and got the same reply. You will need an indy repairer. This does have the effect of lowering second hand prices, the stuff goes for loose change and it's fantastic quality. So not all bad news.

Thanks.

I'm well aware of their unwillingness to service older models. Pretty poor show IMO.

Being outside of the UK, I would probably get it serviced locally anyway if/when it ever needed - the postage costs both ways would probably be higher that the value of the machine itself. If only I could make sure what the transport was and maybe getting a spare.

For ~200GBP I guess it's worth a try?

For £200 ish I'd just buy it!

A great player. As you say Avi's servicing of "legacy models" (their words) is non existent and a very poor show.

For £200 ish I'd just buy it!

A great player. As you say Avi's servicing of "legacy models" (their words) is non existent and a very poor show.

That's not true. The AVI website gives clear information on service and repair of their legacy products (see contact details page).

For servicing of S2000 Series and Lab Series Products please contact PG Electronics who are accredited repairers for all early AVI electronics up to and including the Lab Series.
Email: [email protected]

JC

Well, that's a change in their philosophy. I got told to stop wasting my time and theirs when I wanted a S2000CD player repaired, so I did it myself with parts over the net. I rang up and asked the same re a 2000 stereo power amp I was thinking of buying and was asked "why would you bother? It's superseded technology". I used this to lever down the price, nobody else here was interested in buying it as AVI was so poorly received on here at the time.

Is there a link between PG Electronics and AVI, or have AVI simply given the diagrams to phil and agreed to recommend him? I don't call it AVI servicing if they simply say "talk to Phil Good, he'll fix it".

OK, so I've tried contacting Mr. Good and the answer was that there are no more spares available for any of the AVI CD players, but that he still repairs the amps. I didn't get any answer regarding the transport / laser used.

I didn't try to contact AVI directly but found a thread on another forum in which this direct from AVI reply to a similar question was pasted: "I'm very sorry but there are no spares nor technical information for CD players now. Production ceased June 2006 and the last machines were sold with spare mechs because Philips had discontinued them.
They are scrap now, they cannot be repaired.
I'm sorry "

Some further digging found this though:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=281259139780

And the model nr. the PCB lead me to this: http://www.daisy-laser.com/downloads/products/CD/modules/slspec.pdf <- looks very much like the Ebay link

The document states that the CD mech used is the VAM1201, which, apparently, can be obtained from various sources.

Don't know what to think of all this - is it likely that the CDP is indeed repairable if the mech/laser fails or better not risk it?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Swapping the VAM mechs over in anything is quite straightforward, just 4solder dabs for the sled and disc motor wires. The only 'gotcha' is that the quality control on the (chinese made) laser mechs available esp. the VAM series now Philips no longer manufacture available is awful - buy at least two. MJS has posted in this in detail in the DIY room.

Just-Tone is excellent to deal with; I've also had good experience via Dalbani in the UK.

Here's what follows - a photo guide to dissassembly of Philips mechs:
http://www.diyparadise.com/cd46/cd46repair.html

Only one note to add - on the new drive, keep any 'shorting' clips on the laser mech flexfoil connectors as long as possible to prevent the risk of static damage to the photodiodes, which are much more sensitive than the laser itself (Don't worry, it'll make sense when you have the parts in your hands)

Since it is a CDM12.1 /also called VAM1201 mech then you don't even have to set-up the player's servos - ie do not touch any preset potentiometer you find!

I have to say I was very disappointed with AVI's response a few years ago when I asked them about servicing my 2000 series CD and Amp. Each unit was over £1000 each new yet they weren't interested. They cited EU regulations on lead in parts as to why they couldn't help. I thought it was pathetic and would never buy anything from them again. It has made me very wary and sceptical off smaller Hi-Fi manufacturers.
I have had similar problems with Micromega the Philips CD mechanisms are hopeless. The whole Drive range was flawed because of the Philips mechanisms. I wouldn't want to buy a CD player with a Philips mechanism now.
I am budging to wonder if CD will go the way of VHS. Lee

Micromega was nearly killed by that fault and the fix was so simple - it was the wrong grease used on the sled motor worm drive. It hardedened with age and made the laser positioning sticky (= discs becoming unreadable). Easily cleaned off with alcohol, a permanent fix.

Micromega had a a batch of mechs delivered to them like this, only for the issue to emerge later after sale. It so nearly sank them.

I am budging to wonder if CD will go the way of VHS. Lee
Quite possibly. I can sell you a fragile plastic disc in a case with a booklet or you can download the whole lot from the 'net and if it later fails you can resubmit the codes and get another copy.

just a little siliicone grease, e.g. Servisol or similar. But once you've cleaned off the existing with alcohol, you only need the very merest trace amount of new lubricant.

Just to end this story. The AVI Lab CD player add disappeared a few days after I started the thread as I was trying to get some more info regarding the laser/transport used from approved AVI repairman - no luck from that.

Well... the CD got relisted (from the same seller) at a further discounted price again. So I decided to give it a go and for sure I don't have any regrets. It's a lovely little machine, great build (apart from plasticky CD tray) and sounds really stunning for the outlay. Singing it's heart out currently with a Nait 1 and Snell K/II. Not the most common combination, but it certainly doesn't disappoint...

The price in the end? 125 GBP :D Was grinning ear to ear all the drive home :)

advertisement

Back