advertisement

AVI CD repair

eevo1969

pfm Member
Hello all,

I hope this counts as a old enough item (20+ yrs) for the classic room.

Does anyone know of a repair service for a AVI S2000mc Reference cdp?
I remember there was a man that was happy to service and repair the brands older equipment
but cannot find any details.

If anybody has any info or advice it would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

AVI didn't repair any of what they called "Legacy" kit when I had one develop a fault a few years ago. Since then they have found a 3rd party repairer. The s2000 is a great player, I have one and it has seen off all comers. However the mechanism (Phillips CDM, erm, 4, I think?) is obsolete. You can't get a new one from Phillips. The only chance of a repair is finding a secondhand player with the same mech or finding a NOS item floating about. If you get the latter, buy a lottery ticket to see if it's your lucky week and be VERY careful crossing the road just in case you have used up all your luck for the month in one go.

CDM 9 it is on mine.

Has your drawer mech broken up yet? There are replacement gears from Japan if/when that happens. As SQ says, the drive belts pack up after 20 years.

What's wrong with it?
CD can skip occasionally or often.

I believe there are two versions, one with a CDM9/44 and another with a CDM12.1
I’ve asked him to see if he can confirm which type of mech contained.

First replace any belts.
I’ve asked him to check the belts and see if there’s any dirt or grease
within the cdp that could be hindering play.

Thank you for all your replies, he was a Bosch/Siemens Engineer and a 17th
edition Electrician so he understands the basics at the very least, it never even occurred to him to have a look himself!
He has a complete AVI S2000 system so it would be nice to see it repaired and everything fully functional again.

I will post a update once he has taken a look.

Thank you.

The CDM9 swingarm & laser mech is very robust, if it works at all, it is likely good. The laser movement is driven by voicecoil type actuator - so no traverse wormdrive mech to stick/slip/need the rails cleaning; and the laser position and focus positioning is servo-controlled by a Phillips IC, so none of the old-style focus/gain/offset pots to adjust.

Also, while it is apart, wipe-down the tiny turntable to check it's not the cd just slipping.

The later CDM12.1 uses a linear drive sled (again, servo-controlled - nothing to adjust) - in which case the prime suspect for incidental mistracking/glitching is to wipe the sled, rails and worm drive clean with alcohol on a q-tip and try it again.
The temptation is to re-grease but IME over many years of dicking with cdm/vam12+ mechs they last longer/stick less with no lube (the sled worm & gearing is nylon, so lube has to be silicone and very sparingly applied if at all - not any old grease, esp not oil-based)*

From the OP's symptoms, if the disc is loading properly, but mistracking randomly and in an irritating manner - I'd guess this is a CDM12.x based player. And I'd definitely try to fix the orig mech in terms of cleaning sliding parts scrupulously before trying a current 'new production' vam1201j replacement or sim - they are mostly cheap, and bad, copies and you may need 4-5 to get a good working one :/

*ETA: It's an old story, but a large batch of CDM12.1 mechs delivered by Philips to Micromega with the wrong grease applied is essentially the thing that killed the first incarnation of that company - the mechs all 'stuck', and as a small op they didn't have the capacity or margin to repair/replace all and maintain production, while allegedly Philips shrugged it off. Of course I read this secondhand...

Last edited:
Spot-on advice from Martin there. I'll just add that it's always worth cleaning the laser lens too. I've fixed several 'faulty' players just by cleaning the laser lens.

Hi,

my friend has given up on the Avi cdp altogether and sold me the whole system, said he wanted a change in direction.

I sold it to him initially over 10 years ago so I’m familiar with the setup.

He has chosen a new Audiolab setup and is very happy with it.

So I now have:

1x S 2000 pre-amp
2x S 2000 monoblocs
1x S 2000 Tuner
1x S 2000 reference cdp

I will remove the CDP cover and have a look-see (under supervision) when he drops the Avi equipment off tonight.

If I cannot see the problem I’ll take a few pics which will hopefully
be informative to another member.

Here’s hoping for a quick cheap fix!;)

Tony

:oops:Last night I opened the casework up and done as much as time allowed re:suggested above, cleaned laser etc, 12 CDs later the S 2000 seems quite happy to chug along playing discs minding its own business;)

Seems to not have a problem with cd-r etc either.

Lovely bold, solid feel to the music just as I remember.

The look still reminds me of the old Blaupunkt car stereo’s you
could pull out of the dashboard, most likely just me as I’m sure I’ve seen Lee Dixon(old Arsenal defender)doing the weather on BBC recently.:eek:

Well done, the 2000 series of AVI gear is lovely. I still have my CD player, I sold the paving slab stereo power amp because it was susceptible to mains hum in the old house. The new owner has no such problems, clearly he has a decent mains supply with no offset. My CD drawer retraction gear packed up because they used the wrong grease.

advertisement

Back