advertisement

AVI ADM40's then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
They cannot possibly be described as good value when the same product exists at 1/10th the price. The best that can be hoped is that they are a good luxury version of the product.

With respect, I don't honestly believe you can buy the same thing for a tenth of the price. Sub £1K 20l approx monitors will almost certainly be made in China for very little money, will have moulded plastic enclosures which, despite doing the job, will not be veneered - and nicely veneered wooden boxes from a UK supplier won't be cheap in batches of ten pairs or so at a time I feel.

Maybe I'm still stuck in the domestic market and have yet to start working on pro prices. A good few people have now come to ADM9's after experience of well liked pro monitors under a grand and have found the ADM9's better sounding and better looking to them. Now, I'm not in the slightest bit saying that the ADM9's are as good or better than say, £4K to £5K Genelecs, or the latest version of the ATC 20ASL pro (my early ones sounded scrappy to me), but Ash aside, I bet the new ones have finally been tweaked for driver damping and tonal balance in the basic ADM box.

Best for me to duck out here. It's such a shame that this brand garners such bad feeling among many here, but the man brings it on himself and they're his battles to fight. If I had three grand to spend on amp and speakers I know what I would buy, and it would be "BBC Legacy" derived in the first instance, because I know how musically satisfying the components can be at the lowish volume levels I play at these days, they're beautifully made with stunningly good speaker finish and construction inside and out and they'd easily see me out I reckon and with the minimum of messing around.

The ADM9s appear to have lost some inputs in their latest incarnation, making them not an option for many.

The newer Dynaudio Xeo series are far more flexible, have the advantage of being wireless and use drivers from one of the legendary makers.

I'm thinking the AVIs are getting close to end of life.

The ADM9s appear to have lost some inputs in their latest incarnation, making them not an option for many.

The newer Dynaudio Xeo series are far more flexible, have the advantage of being wireless and use drivers from one of the legendary makers.

I'm thinking the AVIs are getting close to end of life.

Two optical digital inputs and one pair of analogue phonos for several years now.

What have they cut? :eek:

They cannot possibly be described as good value when the same product exists at 1/10th the price. The best that can be hoped is that they are a good luxury version of the product. But are they a good luxury version? It isn't going to be on technical performance grounds given the absence of the features one would expect at this price point like bass drivers, dispersion control, etc... Perhaps it is on life-style grounds in the manner of, say, B&O?
Hmm... £325 active floorstanders - what make and model and where can I buy these?

Two optical digital inputs and one pair of analogue phonos for several years now.

What have they cut? :eek:
There were some photos on another AVI thread that seemed to indicate they've lost some RCA inputs, but, assuming you're right, then they've always been more limited than I've thought.

The Xeos command module has a full range of inputs, unlike the AVI speakers.

They cannot possibly be described as good value when the same product exists at 1/10th the price. The best that can be hoped is that they are a good luxury version of the product. But are they a good luxury version? It isn't going to be on technical performance grounds given the absence of the features one would expect at this price point like bass drivers, dispersion control, etc... Perhaps it is on life-style grounds in the manner of, say, B&O?

You're an amusing chap now.

arthur, any reason for your multi thread AVI thing?

I think the Xeos are the future, that's why, and way ahead of the competition. AVI seem a dead end by comparison.

And, before you ask, yes, I'll be buying some as soon as funds allow. They sound excellent, and you can't argue with the flexibility.

So you admit to trolling? Fair enough, nice to see an honest person every now and again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back