advertisement

AVI ADM40's then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd estimate that by far the majority of our customers are young professionals with families who buy ADMs to go with TV and Apple's TV and iPad etc. These are where our sales effort is concentrated and fortunately most share my views of the legacy stuff.

The other group of customers are older, long time hi fi enthusiasts, often shedding foo. Too many boxes, poor sound and not dovetailing with TV/Movies and photos are all factors. We've had three now who sold £30,000 systems to buy ADM9.1s for example, but most are replacing over £5,000 worth and all getting big improvements in sound quality.

And then there are Tony's richer PF's who use them as a third system in the outside toilet. :rolleyes:

but active analogue, not passive analogue, which gives much clearer sound, since each driver has its own dedicated amplifier with no 'out of band' signal presented to the driver.

Well, that's the theory; but the subjective results do not always support the predicted benefits (in fact, in my experience, they rarely do).

Well, that's the theory; but the subjective results do not always support the predicted benefits (in fact, in my experience, they rarely do).

TBH MOAN old thing I'm not sure you have the right references. I remember your visiting us at Bristol in 2008 and doing a review on PF, which showed a complete lack of understanding. You even used audiophile jargon, presumably hoping no one would pull you up on it

I think you know what you like and that's that. And you've hated AVI for six years now. Time to move on?

Originally Posted by jcbrum
"but active analogue, not passive analogue, which gives much clearer sound, since each driver has its own dedicated amplifier with no 'out of band' signal presented to the driver."

A passive crossover is there to ensure no 'out of band' signal is presented to a driver, that's not limited to active crossovers.

Originally Posted by jcbrum
"but active analogue, not passive analogue, which gives much clearer sound, since each driver has its own dedicated amplifier with no 'out of band' signal presented to the driver."

A passive crossover is there to ensure no 'out of band' signal is presented to a driver, that's not limited to active crossovers.

Agreed, Andrew, but that is where passives generally fail. They're just not good enough as passband filters. It's a matter of degree. You can make a much better crossover using active technology than passive methods.

Of course, I suppose you can always dump any crossover, and just bung in a capacitor in a 'blingy Hi-End wrapper', like YNWOAN does, - claiming that his epos drivers don't need a crossover.

JC

Agreed, Andrew, but that is where passives generally fail. They're just not good enough as passband filters. It's a matter of degree. You can make a much better crossover using active technology than passive methods.

Of course, I suppose you can always dump any crossover, and just bung in a capacitor in a 'blingy Hi-End wrapper', like YNWOAN does, - claiming that his epos drivers don't need a crossover.

JC

JC I was more making the point that you had incorrectly stated that only an active crossover can avoid sending the wrong frequencies to a driver and that's not so, passive ones do that too. I made no statement about the effectiveness of either method but to suggest ONLY actives do is misleading.

I use the same speaker as YNWOAN and the bass/mid does not need an external crossover, it was a bespoke design. The tweeter does and hence the bling capacitor.

JC

As usual, you post bears little relevance to reality, or the facts (but then your primary interest, as always, is actually in promoting your friend Ashley's company). So, now for the real facts, I don't recommend expensive capacitors in 'blingy Hi-End wrappers' as you put it, and I never have. I don't claim that Epos ES14's don't require a crossover, they are (properly) engineered so that they only require a capacitor to protect the low end of the tweeter - this is not some spurious 'claim' I make, it is a fact (though completely irrelevant to this thread - I also suggest you do better research before making such unfounded criticisms).

I have heard adm9's a number of times now and whilst they perform adequately, you would never know they are an active design from their performance; there is certainly no sign of the extra clarity you refer to!

TBH MOAN old thing I'm not sure you have the right references. I remember your visiting us at Bristol in 2008 and doing a review on PF, which showed a complete lack of understanding. You even used audiophile jargon, presumably hoping no one would pull you up on it

I think you know what you like and that's that. And you've hated AVI for six years now. Time to move on?

Pathetic Ashley (I won't bow so low as to bastardise your user name)! I'm surprised you remember my visit to your room at Bristol because you clearly do not remember the subsequent events. I did not write a pfm review, I wrote a short post (as part of another AV* marketing thread) that stated that I had heard the speakers and they sounded OK, but that they didn't redefine my expectations at their price point (as you were claiming). I realise that this isn't what you wanted to hear (perhaps you should have used more appropriate source material), but I felt it was fair, and I don't see how it could be interpreted as showing "a complete lack of understanding". I haven't a clue what you are talking about with regard to "audiophile jargon", presumably you mean this as some kind of esoteric criticism - if you don't understand my posts, ask JC or Darren to explain. I have heard many active, and passive, speaker systems; some of these I thought were excellent, some of them average and some of them poor. However, you are correct in stating that I know what I like, I'm sorry that I am not prepared to devalue my standards to be more in line with your own

I don't hate your company, in fact I have no interest in your company. What I don't like is the way that you, and your merry band of shills, choose to promote your product with a combination of half truths and outright lies, coupled to sweeping criticism of other manufacturers products that displays very little understanding of that which you criticise. I honestly can't imagine where you got this 'talk bollocks' marketing strategy from and it is more than a little rich that you criticise me for a "lack of understanding". I see, in this thread, that you are keen on making technical statements that imply you have some kind of grounding, or experience, in such issues - the truth is you have no such experience.

Any way ,now that you and yours have decided to lower yourselves to name calling and misrepresentation of both the past and competitors equipment (though long discontinued), I will leave you to it! I have no issue with the company you currently work for, or the product they produce; I just wish their marketing department was a bit better informed and had higher moral values.

Where can I get some of these blingy hi-end wrappers? They sound ace.

When it comes to hi-end rappers, the bling makes all the difference.

blingx.jpg

You can, but in practice it's seldom done. These days most passive systems include compensation and EQ for drivers' pass-band response errors, but one often still can find standard Sallen-Key filters in active systems.

Saurusses are a precursor to ponies. Colour me impressed. But you need to have ponies instead of dinos when you finally get some grown up speakers.

Greg Bear reader as well, this is best not commented upon... All speakers do look better without the grilles. Even the fugly ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back