advertisement

Auralic Aries Mini

Gosh, that $298 SonicOrbiter looks very similar (identical) to the Cubox ($89 - $169). So between $130 and $200 odd for the software, depending on which version of the Cubox they are using.

...or am I missing something?

Well I've just ordered one so I'll report back.
AFAIK, it is Roon Ready, has AirPlay (ShairPlay), squeezelite for LMS, UPnP/DNLA, acts as an NAA for HQplayer and 2 other option I don't really understand - USB and optical out.

And strangely enough I don't mind paying for all this.

SJB

Well I've just ordered one so I'll report back.
AFAIK, it is Roon Ready, has AirPlay (ShairPlay), squeezelite for LMS, UPnP/DNLA, acts as an NAA for HQplayer and 2 other option I don't really understand - USB and optical out.

And strangely enough I don't mind paying for all this.

SJB

I had the SoTM SMS-100 made by the same people on trial. I found the software unreliable and it drove me mad. Sent it back. Now use Aries and is absolutely brilliant.

I have more or less the same thing with my Vortexbox/Touch set up. Only Roon missing though I believe it won't be long before this is available and the Touch can be used as an endpoint. Besides, I'm not really interested in Roon until it brings Qobuz on board. I mostly listen to Classical and Jazz and Tidal doesn't really fit the bill.

I had the SoTM SMS-100 made by the same people on trial. I found the software unreliable and it drove me mad. Sent it back. Now use Aries and is absolutely brilliant.

Hopefully they've improved then!
I'm mainly interested in the Roon RAAT implementation which from reports seems to work and as it is Roon "certified " Roon support will help with issues.

SJB

Hi everyone ,

I'm interested to put Auralic Aries Mini into my system as a temporary solution with its integrated DAC plus external LPS .
The amplifier is KARAN KA I 180 MK2 and speakers are Spendor A6R.
Later I will bought some better DAC and MINI will become only streamer.

I wonder how good is internal DAC compared with competitors such as m2tech Young or maybe Hegel hd12 ?

I know that comparation is ridiculous but if somebody has tried something like that I would be grateful if he will share experiences with me ...

A long time lurker, but this is my first post on here so I'll start by saying hello.

I'm thinking of getting an Auralic Aries Mini with a fitted SSD drive which would be connected to my system DAC, but would be independent of a NAS and would be controlled by an iPad using wifi.

I'm assuming in this arrangement my 8 year old Sky router should be OK for wifi control?

I'd greatly appreciate someone posting an idiots guide on how to copy my iTunes library of ALAC music from my MacBook Pro onto the internal SSD to be fitted in the Aries Mini. I'd like to do this in a way that will transfer the album artwork so this will appear on the Auralic controlling app on my iPad.

Thanks in anticipation of a helpful reply.

A long time lurker, but this is my first post on here so I'll start by saying hello.

I'm thinking of getting an Auralic Aries Mini with a fitted SSD drive which would be connected to my system DAC, but would be independent of a NAS and would be controlled by an iPad using wifi.

I'm assuming in this arrangement my 8 year old Sky router should be OK for wifi control?

I'd greatly appreciate someone posting an idiots guide on how to copy my iTunes library of ALAC music from my MacBook Pro onto the internal SSD to be fitted in the Aries Mini. I'd like to do this in a way that will transfer the album artwork so this will appear on the Auralic controlling app on my iPad.

Thanks in anticipation of a helpful reply.

I am not sure about the sky router. It is total dross. Aries do provide advice about routers. I assume it will be OK for 16/44. I had issues with mine streaming HD. I replaced by sky hub with the ASUS RT-AC68U and it works a treat. Incredible range. Took seconds to set up. The only trick needed is to run an app to find your sky password (not the same as your router password). Sky will not give it to you. You have to use something called Wireshark.

http://www.auralic.com/download/aries_quick_start.pdf

I have Aries and Aries mini and use Lightning Server no problem with a 1TB SSD. I connect the SSD externally by usb. This makes it easier to attach the drive to my laptop if I want to adjust any tags. It also allows me to attach it to a QNAP server by usb for quick backup.

p.s. Sorry, even though a mac user, have never used iTunes.

Ok.

Install the SSD and set up the Mini and format the SSD (this is all very easy via the iPad - just follow the instructions). Once set up the Mini will be visible on your MBP in a Finder window (if your options are set up properly). Open the HDD folder that you will find when clicking on the Aries Mini. Open the Music Library folder that contains your music files. Drag and drop the files over in batches to the HDD folder (do not try to do your entire collection in one go). Once all done, on the iPad select your library in Lightning DS and rescan (may take a while depending on size). Job done. Enjoy. Repeat each time you add new music. (May need to reload cache as well).

Actually, just do one batch and scan to make sure that it is doing it ok.

Hope that helps. It is really easy.

Thank you for the speedy and helpful replies.

I like the idea of using an external SSD which I can connect to my via USB cable to my laptop to transfer the iTunes music files and then connect to the Aries Mini. Seems a convenient way to do the initial copying and then top up as I add more music.

Please can you recommend a suitable 1TB SSD that will work?

Some drives recommended on the support page. Click on the Mini icon.

Most of your Qs will be answered here.

support.auralic.com

When I first got mine I used an external USB hard drive.

I now stream wirelessly direct from my laptop, works better for me.
Though I'm using Win 8.1 laptop/JRiver.

I hate Apps.....I see someone is working on a vibrator, controlled by an app (wtf).
How romantic..

An alternative to any router problem is to set your Sky one to Modem mode and add your own dual band Router.

The Wi-Fi in the Aries is Tri Band.. now theres future proof.

Thank you for the speedy and helpful replies.

I like the idea of using an external SSD which I can connect to my via USB cable to my laptop to transfer the iTunes music files and then connect to the Aries Mini. Seems a convenient way to do the initial copying and then top up as I add more music.

Please can you recommend a suitable 1TB SSD that will work?

Drive
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00P738MUU/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

External case and cable
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K5TJHXM/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This is the webpage you need.

http://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us

I think it is the 2 right hand buttons.

Thanks misterdog. I will do it once I return to DK from Tenerife. I am currently listening to karaoke/dj-music from a so-called "English family pub" just across from our balcony. Yesterday we listened to a karaoke version of Lukas Graham's "7 Years" and today we were fortunate enough to listen to the real deal.

I would love to hear the AURALiC via my Gold Note DAC-7, a great tidy little combo this should be.

For the heck of it I tried the new Schiit Bitfrost Multibit DAC and the Gold Note is still head and shoulders above the Schiit when it comes to expressive musicality.

So with my thoughts now away from trying out different DACs - I can concentrate on improving the front end with something like this AURALiC Mini seeing as I stream just about everything nowadays.

I was so tempted by the Aries mini route, but instead have gone down the mac mini with Roon Server route.

Ultimately my problem with the Aries is the same issue I have with iTunes remote, the control interface isn't all that well thought out, and to do multiroom audio I'd need to still have iTunes running to use the aries as an airplay endpoint with my other airplay devices.

Utterly delighted with how well roon cooperates with the mac mini to create an easily manageable interactive experience with my music collection, whilst making direct audio out both bit perfect and seamless with my USB DAC.

I was so tempted by the Aries mini route, but instead have gone down the mac mini with Roon Server route.

Ultimately my problem with the Aries is the same issue I have with iTunes remote, the control interface isn't all that well thought out, and to do multiroom audio I'd need to still have iTunes running to use the aries as an airplay endpoint with my other airplay devices.

Utterly delighted with how well roon cooperates with the mac mini to create an easily manageable interactive experience with my music collection, whilst making direct audio out both bit perfect and seamless with my USB DAC.

Yeah, it's hard not to love Roon.

SJB

Thinking of the same option myself. Which model of the MAc Mini did you go with?

I have a current generation base model. i5 1.4ghz with 4gb of ram.

People tell you to have the highest spec machine you can, but TBH I think that's as much bollocks as audiophile USB cables! (and I work in IT for a living).

My little mac mini, running Roon Server, pushing different audio to four zones, while I browse through albums on it, consumes abut 3-4% of my CPU power and about 260mb of RAM.

Its very resource light, and will run on pretty much anything really. You only need bigger power and graphics if you want to run the GUI. The actual backbone of roon is amazingy light an well put together.

It has simplified so much about what I do. I had previous tried the following:

ITunes on its own - no bitrate switching, and I had to keep changing audio source when I wanted to watch Netflix / movies through the HDMI and my TV.

Amara - not free, so expected better, but gapless audio didn't work, bitrate switching needed huge buffering and the whole experience was buggy and laggy, with no decent remote function.

Audirvana - decent sound and bitrate switching, but in exclusive mode it totally took over my system, meaning that to watch movies through HDMI I needed to actually come completely out of audirvana and iTunes to get my audio core back.

Roon - takes ownership of my DAC in exclusive mode, gives me instant bitrate switching with no lag or delay. My default mac audio source of LG-TV sticks and I can just open up a browser and start watching movies, with absolutely no penalty for having Roon running as well.

In fact you could actually be in another room playing music on Roon, while watching a movie on the mac mini through a TV, and this all works utterly seamlessly.

Add to it, a sublime interface through the remote app and I think Roon is a no brainer at the moment. It is by far the best solution for my needs that I've found yet, and the least buggy. It allows me to get the best audio performance out of my mac mini with no real effort, and still lets me carry on using the mac as the centre of an entertainment system.

Its not cheap, but its worth it!

advertisement

Back