advertisement

Auralic Aries G1 Question

Robby

pfm Member
Afternoon,

I recently bought one of the above on the basis that I would be able to install an internal hard drive with the kit Auralic sells.

It seems on further research this is not possible but it is not 100% clear. Can anyone help with this if they own one please?

Thanks,

Rob

Had the Mini with SSD and G2 but not seen a G1. USB works fine just hang a big SSD in an adapter off the back.

These guys seem to think it does take a drive, have you asked on the Auralic Forum?

https://ripcaster.co.uk/node/20
The Auralic Aries G1 is capable of housing a storage drive within the unit to hold all your music. The Auraili Aries G1 accepts standard 2.5" SATA drives - either Solid State Drives (SSD) or conventional hard drives (HDD).

Looks like it’s not an option
https://community.auralic.com/t/internal-hard-drives/4547
  1. Buy an Aries G1 but strangely unlike the G2 this won’t take an internal drive so I’d have to keep the Mini or buy an external drive (and PSU?) so I’m only swapping 2 small boxes for 1 big box. I realise internal hard drives are sub optimal for sound quality but an SSD can’t be that detrimental and it makes for a very elegant solution.

Can you get a refund? Altair G1 might suit but no digi out if you want to upgrade to a DAC later, a used Aries G2 is not far off a new G1 price wise, opens up the LLink to a Vega G2 later on. Took a dCS to better that combo for me.

Can you get a refund? Altair G1 might suit but no digi out if you want to upgrade to a DAC later, a used Aries G2 is not far off a new G1 price wise, opens up the LLink to a Vega G2 later on. Took a dCS to better that combo for me.

Thanks for all the replies. The dealer knows about me wanting the internal drive kit (he even suggested I look to order one from another dealer as he didn't have them in stock) and so I will be able to get a refund. I have distance selling protection too.

I did look at the Altair G1 but this doesn't have digital USB out so not suitable for my needs

I shall get it boxed up ready to go back to them. Oh well. I am back to the Aries Mini.

Thanks for all the replies. The dealer knows about me wanting the internal drive kit (he even suggested I look to order one from another dealer as he didn't have them in stock) and so I will be able to get a refund. I have distance selling protection too.

I did look at the Altair G1 but this doesn't have digital USB out so not suitable for my needs

I shall get it boxed up ready to go back to them. Oh well. I am back to the Aries Mini.
I’m not sure how much of a difference there is between a Mini and a G1, it’s ridiculous value for money, beat a ND5XS in my system. Why not try a DAC or even a LPS on the mini and use the analogue out.

I’m not sure how much of a difference there is between a Mini and a G1, it’s ridiculous value for money, beat a ND5XS in my system. Why not try a DAC or even a LPS on the mini and use the analogue out.

I am using the Mini into the DAC-50 in my Accuphase E-480 via USB and it sounds great. There definitely isn't a night and day difference between the Aries G1 and Mini.

The differences in streamers/dacs is often just a small change/difference in sound if anything at all, occasionally something stands out as a good bit nicer. In lockdown I’ve swapped around a lot of kit and tried out different combos, not a lot else to do, I borrowed a Bartok and did think that was a step up. I plan to hear some Accuphase gear but probably won’t happen until next year.

advertisement

Back