1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Audiophiles v sound engineers

Discussion in 'audio' started by Knipester, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

What part of that, beyond saying you are wrong, I am not going to discuss it as we've been there before, do you not get?

2. Arkless Electronics

Back then and with the "amateur" kit you describe unbalanced was more common... go to remotely pro gear and it's balanced and these days even most of the amateur/home studio gear is balanced.

3. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

So you are saying that you keep being just as wrong as you were then? :)

4. Arkless Electronics

That ain't fully balanced if it uses a single LM3886 as it's a single channel amp IC! Beyond that, your point is?

5. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

From Tom's description.

Though Tom is the electrical engineer, I only go by what I read.

6. Arkless Electronics

It may have a balanced input through a balanced receiver IC (ie not natively balanced) but to be "fully balanced" a power amp must be bridge mode. I believe some of the models higher in the range are....

7. Julf

Seems the Modulus-186 has differential (balanced) inputs, but not a "fully balanced" circuit topology from input to output.

8. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Both Si and myself run in bridged mode so we are sorted then :)

9. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I find this interesting, coming as it does from this forum’s principal proponents of the ‘the science is settled, don’t argue with the physics’ viewpoint, usually on cable threads and the like.

It seems to me, the science may be settled, but there is no agreement as to where and how it has settled...

darrenyeats likes this.
  10. camverton

camverton pfm Member

That’s nice, perhaps you can find a bridge to connect Jez and julf!

11. Arkless Electronics

Nah it's just that Julf is CEO of "Pedant's R' Us!" and and was awarded a lifetime subscription to "Semantic's Weekly" magazine :D:D

12. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Every piece I had in my studio in 2012 came with XLR ins and outs apart from a couple of pieces of vintage stuff. Monitors, compressors, amps, desk, everything.

I avoided hardware that did not have them, as the chain seemed quieter with XLR. Not sure if there is any theory that stands up there, maybe my jack input components were just old and shit.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  13. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Well I haven't read the previous exchange you're referring to, but surely if it was just a matter of semantics and pedantry, it wouldn't generate quite so much heat. It certainly appears as though there's a pretty fundamental difference of view between you, about matters technical. That's the interesting thing, because even if we accept the view that the science is 'settled', the engineering might not be.

14. mjwolf

mjwolf pfm Member

As far as I can tell, they're arguing over what the word 'balanced' means in the context of electrictronic signals.

15. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Ah, interesting, thank you. That's plausible, but hardly explains the evident heat in the disagreement (perhaps Jez' participation is all the explanation we require, however ;) ).

It doesn't invalidate my point, that if engineers aren't in agreement about implementation, especially of 'core' concepts like balanced operation, then perhaps they should wind their necks in a bit over other engineers' implementation of other technologies (and yes, there are plenty of real-life, honest-to-goodness engineers designing cables and support systems).

16. Julf

Sorry to take the wind out of your argument, but the disagreement between me and Jez is about terminology, not about core concepts. Debating the terms we use and their definitions is an important part of science and engineering - it helps us clarify the terms we use, and ensure a common understanding.

17. Arkless Electronics

/\ Indeed. Julf and I get on well.. it's just "engineers joshing about" and now't more than that:)

18. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Julf and Jez,

I know it's all in good fun and to gain a better understand, but when you two joust I can't help but hear this music...

Joe

r0dd3r5 likes this.
  19. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Yep that's exactly the purpose of balanced cables.

[​IMG]

richgilb likes this.
  20. Arkless Electronics

Julf like pedantry alert :D but it's the balanced amps themselves that are the important concept here, not the cables... in fact in some respects any old cable, not even screened, will do BECAUSE it's balanced.

Oh and whilst nothing to do with the posts here, can we bring back capital punishment for referring to balanced as "XLR".... which is of course a type of plug and nothing else.