advertisement

Audiophile snobbery...?

I bought a CT1010 tuner from eBay about 4 years ago.About £60. It was lovely. Beautifully built, beautiful sounding and very near to the CT 7000 IMO. Bloke I sold it to was blown over by it. If they sound great, who cares what’s in them. I’ve listed to a few so called high end amps with quality parts that didn’t even take off. The tuner was over 40 years old and still sounded delicious. Good longevity for cheap parts with complex layout.

I've been reading a few old mags from the early 70's recently and it is striking just how much bigger the market really was back then... The vast range of different makes and models at all price brackets, except the comparative lack of a "hi-end" as such. The lists of just carts in dealer adds that take a column and a half of the full length of a page...
Loads of "hi fi supercentres" with huge glass fronts....
A predominance of ads for complete systems at different price points but mainly for "cheap" gear that was cheap in performance and often build but cost a fortune in todays terms! Loads for things like "Garrard SP25 with Goldring G800 cart, Metrosound 8WPC amp and Wharfedale Denton's only £92!" That was 1973 and that's £1100 today!!
A pair of Celestion Ditton 15's was £620 in todays money! There were no carts worth more than about £400 - 500 today though...
It didn't seem to be a geeky hobby for old men in any way back then.

I think there's a certain hair shirt mentality going on. In the old days, we had balance and tone controls, and loudness buttons. Then suddenly there was this ascetic movement in hi-fi that I think the Japs (and maybe the Americans) just didn't understand. Somehow it was just better to have angle iron and rusty bolts instead of polished brushed aluminium.
In fairness, the top end Pioneer of the late 70s eschewed much of the knobbery excesses of the 80s. My Pioneer C-21 preamp has no tone controls, loudness button, or even a conventional balance knob.

I've been reading a few old mags from the early 70's recently and it is striking just how much bigger the market really was back then... The vast range of different makes and models at all price brackets, except the comparative lack of a "hi-end" as such. The lists of just carts in dealer adds that take a column and a half of the full length of a page...
A predominance of ads for complete systems at different price points but mainly for "cheap" gear that was cheap in performance and often build but cost a fortune in todays terms! Loads for things like "Garrard SP25 with Goldring G800 cart, Metrosound 8WPC amp and Wharfedale Denton's only £92!" That was 1973 and that's £1100 today!!
A pair of Celestion Ditton 15's was £620 in todays money! There were no carts worth more than about £400 - 500 today though...
Just looking at some JPW Sonatas on the net to replace the Minims I gave to my future SIL for his new surround system.Im so unbelievably generous. It really hurt to give him them. He had to prise them from my gifting fingers! Grrrr.....

Spot on about the market being so much bigger. Although I didn't like much of their stuff, the day Technics pulled out of the hifi market was a sad one as it was an admission that the market had disappeared and portable, low quality digital had won. Whilst many of us here have little interest in real budget kit, it's easy to forget that that's where we started. It was a Denon DRM10HX, NAD 3020e and Goodman's Maxim 2 that got me into all this. That market has largely been replaced by Sonos and the like.

"Garrard SP25 with Goldring G800 cart, Metrosound 8WPC amp and Wharfedale Denton's only £92!"

Everybody I knew had an SP25 and G800! What was it, £20 with plinth and cover, or there abouts! I decided to be different and bought an AP76 with an M75ED! The Metrosound was known to be a pile of crap.

While at the time not fully taken with the sound of an elegant Yamaha CD player I once owned, I still have an excellent Yamaha cassette deck, bought new in the late 80s. I have an ancient Yamaha drumkit as well.

Friends have a Yamaha amplifier feeding Wharfedale Diamond 8.something floorstanders. Can't remember the sources but they ain't boutique by any means. It all sounds fantastic. The hi-fi just melts into the background.

They also have a Bose bluetooth speaker. Once, on entering the room, my immediate thought was that the music was playing on the main stereo. It was running via a Samsung S7.

Currently I run Diamond 9.1 speakers. I don't much like their appearance and aspects of their construction leave something to be desired but they must be among the most honest speakers I've heard. Drinking straws in the ports remove a pronounced bass hump in my room. Hugely popular, untold pairs were sold new so they're ubiquitous and cheap. Brilliant vfm imo.

Another thing. Here in AO/NZ vintage Japanese gear usually fetches higher prices than British.

Oddly enough that's one of the things that put me off amplifiers. Not enough that I wouldn't buy one if it sounded good enough though.

My first amplifier was a silver Technics SU-V3. It had an elegant front panel, my favourite of any Technics. The horizontal red LED VU meter had two switchable scales. It fit the Japanese design zeitgeist of the time and was well implemented aesthetically. It also proved I rarely needed more than about 5 watts of power.

The old Technics had a good phono stage, too. Sometimes I think of buying another. A dicey proposition as they have an irreplaceable processor inside known to fail - unfortunately as happened to the next owner within months of buying my amp.

By the 80s in the UK I think the Japanese had realised that the top end of the market was completely dominated by Linn/Naim groupthink. Even in the mid market they had other fish to fry: In 1987 I visited West Berlin. Shortly before that trip I had bought a decent 3 head Denon cassette deck. In West Germany the replacement model had already been launched and I saw it on dealer's shelves. It wouldn't turn up in the UK for another 6 months or so. Sticking with Denon there were also huge pre power amps and NS1000 style speakers we never got a sniff of over here.

This all started in the 1970/80s and seemed to be a peculiarly British thing. Excellent Japanese kit, and even British stuff like QUAD, was totally ignored or slagged off by the UK hi-fi press in favour of shonky British stuff which looked and sounded as though it had been knocked up in someone's garden shed. Much of that Japanese and QUAD kit has now become highly collectible.

This all started in the 1970/80s and seemed to be a peculiarly British thing. Excellent Japanese kit, and even British stuff like QUAD, was totally ignored or slagged off by the UK hi-fi press in favour of shonky British stuff which looked and sounded as though it had been knocked up in someone's garden shed. Much of that Japanese and QUAD kit has now become highly collectible.

There was a drive to minimalism and keeping the signal path as simple and direct as possible that extended further than the UK, e.g. Conrad Johnson, Mark Levinson, all but the first couple of Audio Research etc, but they always kept the aesthetic design and case quality high.

FWIW I distance Naim from the rest of the ‘80s UK stuff as the quality of their casework beyond the very early years (i.e. once they started using very solid extruded aluminium sleeves) was of exceptional quality and highly durable. The internal build was superb too; at least as neat as Quad or Leak and with very high quality glass fibre boards. There is good reason why it has lasted so well and retains a high second hand value as it was just built so much better than so much of the kitchen-table junk that came onto the market on its coat-tails. This is one reason I never get in on the internet pile-on against Linn, Naim or Rega as they all produced very high quality, well made and reliable kit. It was the other stuff around at the time that tended to look like crap after a year or two or blow up, suffer from dry joints etc etc. I could reel off a list of so many examples of really badly made crap in the market at that time. I remember seeing piles of certain brands stacked up for return in one shop as they were so unreliable, so shonkily made.

There was a drive to minimalism and keeping the signal path as simple and direct as possible that extended further than the UK, e.g. Conrad Johnson, Mark Levinson, all but the first couple of Audio Research etc, but they always kept the aesthetic design and case quality high.

FWIW I distance Naim from the rest of the UK stuff as the quality of their casework beyond the very early years (i.e. once they started using very solid extruded aluminium sleeves) was of exceptional quality and highly durable. The internal build was superb too; at least as neat as Quad or Leak and with very high quality glass fibre boards. There is good reason why it has lasted so well and retains a high second hand value as it was just built so much better than so much of the kitchen-table junk that came onto the market on its coat-tails. This is one reason I never get in on the internet pile-on against Linn, Naim or Rega as they all produced very high quality, well made and reliable kit. It was the other stuff around at the time that tended to look like crap after a year or two or blow up, suffer from dry joints etc etc. I could reel off a list of so many examples of really badly made crap in the market at that time. I remember seeing piles of certain brands stacked up for return in one shop as they were so unreliable, so shonkily made.
I have to agree with you about Linn, Naim and Rega although for reasons of inverse snobbery I've never actually owned any.

Excellent Japanese kit, and even British stuff like QUAD, was totally ignored or slagged off by the UK hi-fi press in favour of shonky British stuff which looked and sounded as though it had been knocked up in someone's garden shed.

The kitchen table was a popular alternative. For a number of brands, sample variation was as big an issue as dodgy construction and reliability issues (ultimately all linked of course).

There were a number of products which with the right sample, on a sunny day, downhill with the wind behind it, could punch way above their weight. But they couldn't do it consistently or reliably, which is anathema to a dealer, no matter how much you want to support the product.

What Hi-Fi is a weird name for a magazine. Shouldn't it be Which Hi-Fi?

How Hi-Da-Fi would also be acceptable.

Joe

I guess the issue is ‘Which’ is a long established consumer review magazine and will have a Trade Mark in that class, though why What Hi-Fi didn’t just pick another name entirely is beyond me.

I think I'd go with 'You call that Hi-Fi?'

I’d have called it ‘Five Star Hi-Fi’ as everything always got a five-star review as I recall.

I’d have called it ‘Five Star Hi-Fi’ as everything always got a five-star review as I recall.
Recent Sonos 'connect' product only received 3 stars, they also downgrade products over time in favour of newer gear. Large pinch of salt required.

What Hi-Fi is pretty poor these days. The main purpose of the other mags seems to be to remind me just how low-end my system is!

What Hi-Fi should review Star Trek episodes.

City on the Edge of Forever

city-on-the-edge-of-forever-star-trek-kirk-spock-guardian-777x437.jpg

What Hi-Fi? Awards 2020 winner. This episode from classic Trek compares favourably to anything the franchise has ever produced including much more expensive episodes with better special effects.

OUR VERDICT

When Dr. McCoy accidentally injects himself with an overdose of powerful medicine, he becomes paranoid and beams himself down to a planet sending out temporal waves. Sounds like a crazy premise for an episode, but watch it. Seriously. It's awesome!

+ FOR
Excellent episode
Time travel
Mr. Spock builds a computer using nothing but a bar of platinum and some triodes
A poignant, tragic story with brilliant performances

— AGAINST
The time machine is a glowing talking doughnut / bagel
McCoy changes the past by stopping Edith from getting hit by a car like she would have if he had not gone back. However, it was the presence of McCoy and Kirk that led to her being in the road to get hit by the car, so if they hadn't gone back in time she would not have been hit by the car.

advertisement

Back