advertisement

"Audiophile Grade...." - WTF?

By coincidence I was just looking at iphone 14 vs 14 pro specs for my daughter, and apparently the 14 pro uses "Surgical-grade stainless steel". Er, ok, great. I think.

By coincidence I was just looking at iphone 14 vs 14 pro specs for my daughter, and apparently the 14 pro uses "Surgical-grade stainless steel". Er, ok, great. I think.
It's just good old 316L stainless. Also approved for food contact, which is where I see it used by the yard. The stuff crops up everywhere. Chemicals, marine, jewellery, everywhere. It scores because you can weld it with normal (TIG) gear.

It is, as we can mostly agree, marketing bullshit. There are some areas, military, medical, aviation, food, etc, which have materials standards which do mean something. And sometimes there may be valid technical reasons for adopting materials made to those standards, or just practical ones around quality assurance and traceability perhaps.

Studio grade cable? Everyone knows studios use usually use cheap cables
They use good quality cables that aren’t expensive, such as Van Damme. I use it too, at home and in my live PA setups, it’s great stuff. I recently made some cables for a friend, a significant amount of the overall cost was shipping… he’s tried various cables at crazy (four figure) price points. He’s settled on the ones I made at £9 a meter pair (materials cost, they would be more with overheads, but still lower two figures).

Yes, unfortunately the word Audiophile is all to often used to charge considerably more for an item that may be available elsewhere in a similar form but without the tag.

I am not knocking them though. The demand must be there.

If I can come up with a 'red tortellini' and charge audiophile prices ...

The irony being when you see audiophile grade,you can virtually guarantee no measurements or measures like a Alexa,and more distortion than a 80s ghetto blaster!

The public don't understand that military grade can sometimes mean worse performance than consumer. An example of this is LCDs with special chemistry to work below -20C.
At room temperature they are slower and obviously inferior contrast to a cheap consumer equivalent

'Military Grade'. Is that when a the spanner supplied with the kit costs about 10 times more than an ordinary spanner doing the same job?

And, before any snide remarks. I'm ex military.
Military grade is clearly below audiophile grade then, as that same spanner would be 100 times more expensive if it was audiophile grade ;)

Studio grade cable? Everyone knows studios use usually use cheap cables

Studios tend to use Van Damme Star quad which is not cheap it can be £20 for a 2M cable, it’s known as the best.
Seen any audiophile grade cables lately? Here’s one: “Supreme Reference for top-of-the-range audiophile equipment”. 2m with special burn-in and contact enhancer that’ll be £48,393.00 please https://www.futureshop.co.uk/nordos...kkk-raxjBnITOWbnqxJ1xW0TChY_uh8BoCBdQQAvD_BwE

Not in a studio no, you cannot risk using audiophile cables - just a very reliable top quality cable like the quad core, we use them at British Grove, Air etc and always with soldered connections.

I've heard the term audiophile since I've known about better quality kit (quite a while).
Always hated the term and avoided using it as it screamed "pretentious" to me.

My personal preference always falling under the "music lover" as something more meaningful.
I can never understand two themes that regularly appear on PFM. One is marketing: I dont get the problem - if a product arouses your interest you can look a little further. If the marketing turns you off you can ignore it. We are all functioning, reasoning adults. I actually like learning about new products that I might like.
The second thing is this shyness, almost embarrassment about being an audiophile. Some of us are even in denial and run to to hide behind the 'music lover' label.
But that's not what we are is it? Beyond loving music we actively spend our spare time and income seeking out the very best sound. We do this because we know that our appreciation and musical pleasure will be enhanced by having a fantastic, realistic, stunning sound at home. Manufacturers know this too and may direct a product towards our needs. They might even label it 'audiophile'. I like that - it might be something I'm interested in.

A few of us are even brave enough to admit that we love the kit almost as much as we love the music....... or is that just me? I mean..... this is a hifi forum, its not really a music forum.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back