advertisement

'Audiophile' Ethernet cable

I've got some audiophile ethernet cable. Well thick, is it. Offers?

I've got some audiophile ethernet cable. Well thick, is it. Offers?

I can offer to help you with your illness. Every time you go near a hi-fi cable shop I can beat you soundly, but caringly with a 2 metre piece of cat 5e cable, flayed at the end to cause maximum pain. Sort of cat of eight tails.

What a pun, I am a genius.

I was going to add one for sale at 20000, but amazon's max sale price is 10000. Explains the sellers selling it at that price. :)

This is what the sellers have to say:

"burnt in to enhance your listening experience. the discerning ear will know the difference! "

"Minor deformations due to time warp"

"Some of the warts have been removed due to the skin effect. There may be one or two frequencies missing, which can be checked by using the Fraunhoffer test. DO NOT CONNECT THIS TO your FLUX CAPACITOR (or anyone else's, as well!) This is the last of my "Audio Kilohertz Delay Line One's so make haste in ordering!

There is someone from UK selling it for $400. Maybe you should offer them $1 and see what happens.

god i could make a fortune... i make up cat5 cables all the time for work. I should just think to put some nice braiding on, and heatshrink the ends up before terminating. Could easily make £100 a pop

The real trick is to develop an audiophile verson of an ethernet packet, which I've dubbed 802.11RA. What the packet has is an extra header which adds a hex number to each data packet, typically F00, which in turn adds or subtracts phantom numbers to each data packet in inverse ratio to the cost of the cable. Typically a cheap cable has 10000 times the amount of artifacts thus created compared to one costing 10 times the price.

Oddly enough several cable companies have expressed interest in the idea.

The real trick is to develop an audiophile verson of an ethernet packet, which I've dubbed 802.11RA. What the packet has is an extra header which adds a hex number to each data packet, typically F00, which in turn adds or subtracts phantom numbers to each data packet in inverse ratio to the cost of the cable. Typically a cheap cable has 10000 times the amount of artifacts thus created compared to one costing 10 times the price.

Oddly enough several cable companies have expressed interest in the idea.

Can you imagine if Kimber Cable (their 'Black Pearl' (?) speaker cable retails for about £12000 for 8 ft. lengths) got into making Ethernet cable . As it's only short I expect it wouldn't be more than £1000... MGM.

'Critical Twist Geometry", they all have this. Pull apart any CAT5 cable and you will see the different twist lengths. There is a newish development in CAT5 (and 6) which better fixes the position of the pairs within the cable to keep them at a known distance from each other to make the performance of the cable at fast data transfer speeds more reliable and predictable. Nothing to do with audio of course but the "audio cable industry" is constantly on the lookout for king's new clothes to baffle the unwary.
Shrink, I would go for it mate. the deployable CAT 5 stuff I got from Canford would look very sexy and Belden do a similar product for a name which rings bells with the cable fussy folk. Get Canford to produce heatshrink with your name on it and you have a product which you could sell for silly money but not to us eh! Best to produce "tailored lengths to order" I would say.

I can offer to help you with your illness. Every time you go near a hi-fi cable shop I can beat you soundly, but caringly with a 2 metre piece of cat 5e cable, flayed at the end to cause maximum pain. Sort of cat of eight tails.

What a pun, I am a genius.

Quite a few MP's would pay handsomely for that sort of treatment..:)

advertisement

Back