advertisement

audionet sam g2 v audionet sam 20 se

jan tomczak

pfm Member
i have now been listening to the sam 20 se for 2 weeks now and have to say, this amp really is on another level to the g2. the g2 is a great amp but the 20 se...well, it's kinda like a supercharged turbo version of it!

i have no idea why new capacitors or gold/silver wiring or whatever other trickle down tech from their top 'watt' amp has done to the performance of the 20 se but it most certainly has...as a synonym 'in spades' comes to mind.

iv'e not really been one for the 'the first 30 seconds' is all it took, but on this occasion it's exactly what happened. the sound was so fresh and alive, so musical with a gorgeous tonality with a perfect skimming of warmth. dynamics, details,transients...any adjective you wish to challenge it with, it responds with aplomb.

the sound of percussion instruments being struck or the strumming of strings are rich and so well bodied and full. female vocals are one of my favourites for listening to...just sublime. my speakers have a ribbon tweeter and it feels like i have more vertical sound emanating from them as well as the over all sound stage, much more enveloping. this amp is crazy good! listening to nana mouskouri's 'amazing grace' wow! hairs standing up on arms moment. ok enuff gushing! forget measurements and graphs...it's a world class amp that'll give you an electrical orgasm. pure joy...if your budget allows i highly highly recommend this beauty!

@salamader The WATT and the DNA (2.0) are near enough the same. They basically made the WATT into a pure analog version by removing all the digital tech and room correction, which now lives in the DNP/DNC

The DNA/EPX is the DNA to the WATT/AMPERE/PLANCK combo.

And so is this: https://www.audio-markt.de/market/audionet-dna-20-1309801826
Was £11k in 2017 when they stopped making this model. If you add the EPS G2 the combination of the PSUs and the way it’s works is very similar to the HUMBOLT which is £50K ish!!

Reckon there's a bit more that's gone into the Scientist series than bolting together existing pieces. I heard the Humbolt in Munich this year and it sounded a lot like the Stern / Heisenberg combo that I'm currently listening to. How close only a back-to-back would tell.

Yes I’m sure there is, I didn’t mean it would be in the same league, just from the same roots. If you look into the PSU of the HUMBOLT it basically is the same as the DNA+EPS, I’m sure the rest of it has much improved. The power amps are completely different as in the preamp section. The similarities I refer to are in the PSU architecture.

Reckon there's a bit more that's gone into the Scientist series than bolting together existing pieces. I heard the Humbolt in Munich this year and it sounded a lot like the Stern / Heisenberg combo that I'm currently listening to. How close only a back-to-back would tell.

how are you finding the new amps in comparison to the max monos?

@salamader The WATT and the DNA (2.0) are near enough the same. They basically made the WATT into a pure analog version by removing all the digital tech and room correction, which now lives in the DNP/DNC

The DNA/EPX is the DNA to the WATT/AMPERE/PLANCK combo.

Are you sure on this, I thought the WATT was a new amplifier, price alone one would think there is a difference to the DNA 2.

yes - I’d say they are 90% the same.
Try google and look at a pic of both internally.
The prices of the DNA was c£11k in 2017 (inc phono option @£500). The WATT is c£12k currently. It’s more of an evolutionary product development.

Folk seam to find digital integration into hi-end amps an issue, so they moved the digital inputs side into an equivalent CDP (PLANCK) Which created an evolutionary version of the VIP G2. Then they created the AMPERE (a beefed up version of the EPX with 2x 300va transformers instead of 2x 200va) to complete the trio

Last edited:

advertisement

Back