advertisement

Audiolab MDAC with external PSU vs Audiolab MDAC+

Hermanson

I'm curious if anyone has compared the original Audiolab MDAC using an external PSU (like the one from MCRU) with the newer MDAC+

Just wandering if best option for me is to sell MDAC and buy the MDAC+ or buy the external PSU for MDAC. This is not a question about what should I buy instead! I like the Audiolab sound and will stick with it.

You seem confident in your own convictions, how is anyone else’s opinion relevant?

I am not confident in my own convictions at all. I am unable to find anywhere to demo the external PSU for the MDAC.
I own the original MDAC and am considering either the external PSU, or selling up and buying the MDAC+
My mind is a very long way from made up with these options. The only thing I want to stick with is Audiolab - it's a question as to which product!

I had the MCRU psu for the MDAC, in my experience it made next to no difference (apparently the MDAC power is heavily regulated internally). The MCRU psu is very well made though, as it should be for the price.

You can do far better, SQ wise, by moving away from these old designs.

Last edited:
You can do far better, SQ wise, by moving away from these old designs.

I would second this. I had an MDAC. From the SQ point of view it is significantly bettered by the Mytek and RME DACs I now use. The Myteks are more expensive but the RME ADI-2 is in the same ball park as the MDAC+ and it is a whole lot better than the original MDAC.

Also, many MDACs suffered from build quality issues (leaking poor quality caps), so now the option of changing horses to another make is one I would take. RME DACs are made in Germany not China and appear far better made than MDACs.

Last edited:
What’s wrong with the sound of the mdac as is?
Nothing; I had the RME ADI-2 but preferred my Benchmark DAC 3L to it so sold it. I have just recently acquired a good example of the the m-dac from eBay (for a very nice price:)) and think the sound superior to the ADI-2 and near the Benchmark.

Re bettering older designs:

I've had a number of the recent superbly measuring Chinese wunderdacs in the house for a second system. I've compared all of them with my main system original mdac. None has bettered it.

Re bettering older designs:

I've had a number of the recent superbly measuring Chinese wunderdacs in the house for a second system. I've compared all of them with my main system original mdac. None has bettered it.
Yes, I'm putting an SMSL D300 ROHM BD34301EKV DAC on eBay today; the m-dac walks all over it.

Ah, so, my eBay acquisition is full of Lelon time bombs; no wonder I got such a good deal; and, an inspection inside shows that they're about to go off. Ah the déjà vu moment: five years or so ago I got an Arcam rDAC (spares or repair in that instance) on eBay also full of time bombs (can't remember if they were Lelon) and ended up replacing every one of the ~30 electrolytics. Just as well electronics is one of my hobbies; have just ordered 25 assorted Panasonics.

advertisement

Back