advertisement

Audiolab Mdac filters

brab

pfm Member
Always struggled to hear much difference amongst these, and quite a while ago on the basis of not much settled on the Optimal Transient DD filter. After some recent equipment changes was listening to the LP and CD versions of the same recording with the latter coming out a poor second, and decided to change the Mdac's filters to see if that could improve things. After flipping around stayed with the Slow Rolloff in comparison with which the OT DD sounded dull, and off in timbre. Just had a quick listen to the Minimum Phase filter, and again, the SR timbres sound truer. Sometimes these impressions have a tendency to vanish but thought it worth a quick post since these filter options are available in a variety of ESS dacs and I'd be interested in other opinions.

I had a quick listen to filters on all my DAC's when I bought them & quite honestly could not tell any difference - but I will admit to being very poor at A-B testing & soon get bored. Prefer listening to music over long periods to get a feel for sound but never vary from standard settings - just enjoy the music.

advertisement

Back