advertisement

Audiolab M-DAC: Volume knob issue

dcn13

So -- this is a bit of a shot in the dark. But I recently purchased a 2nd hand M-DAC with a non-functioning volume knob. The knob can be used as a selector -- i.e., the "push" functionality works -- but it does not work when you turn it to adjust the volume or change settings. The remote works fine, so I have full functionality, except... I am unable to disable the amplifier, as you need to be able to turn the volume knob to do that.

My question is: Does anyone know whether this is a relatively easy fix? I have a local repair guy who could likely address it, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on time as I'm fine (and actually prefer) just leaving the volume set at 0 db and using my integrated to adjust the volume.

Are you sure it’s not just a case of the volume being disabled? It’s a setting.

As above.. worth checking.. I believe there is something in settings that 'fixes' the output so that the volume doesn't operate - this suits some users.

Thanks. It is not a case of the volume/amplifier being disabled, as the volume may be adjusted by the remote. In fact, I would prefer the the internal amplifier be disabled, but (ironically) it's impossible to access that function without a properly functioning volume knob.

Just checked - mine still works, this is probably the second time I've used it, as I use the remote all the time. The DAC isn't positioned where the knob would be useful, and I also realise now that I don't like the feel of it much anyway.

Just use the remote and enjoy the music.

Thanks. It is not a case of the volume/amplifier being disabled, as the volume may be adjusted by the remote. In fact, I would prefer the the internal amplifier be disabled, but (ironically) it's impossible to access that function without a properly functioning volume knob.

Although some people may disagree, the MDAC enabled me to get rid of my Naim NAC82, and two HiCaps, and was one of the biggest upgrades I've ever experienced. No preamp - in my experience, is as good as no preamp, and although I thought I'd never say it, over my normal listening volume range the digital volume control betters any analogue pot (and switched vishays) I've ever used.

Are you sure it’s not just a case of the volume being disabled? It’s a setting.

Indeed the 'DAC only' mode only sets the volume at 0dB and stops the knob working, it doesn't disable the output stage itself.

Thanks. I've been really enjoying the MDAC. I was just wondering whether disabling the internal amplifier would provide any additional sonic benefit, such that it would be worthwhile to have the knob fixed (so I could access the setting).

advertisement

Back