advertisement

Audiolab love or hate?

Galty

Been on this forum for a couple of months and i'm enjoying reading and learning loads. Also i end up sometimes envying some of the kit talked about! I use an all audiolab 8200 setup of 8200cd direct to 2 x 8200p bi amping some Proac D15's. I'm generally happy with the sound and the performance. I was just wondering are there any more audiolab fans out there?.....looking forward to hearing your comments and if you've moved away from audiolab what to? and was there a big improvement in sound or are you sticking with audiolab?

There does seem to be a fashion for knocking Audiolab these days. I've never owned any, but I've heard plenty and never been less than impressed.

I've never believed in received wisdom. Trust your ears.

I used an 8000A Integrated for many years, and when the phono sockets gave way after too many plug/unlugs, I did the conversion to power amp, and got an 8000C Pre to connect to it. I now have a Musical Fidelity Power Amp, with the 8000C Pre still in service. Must have had the 8000C for .... oh, 15 years or so.

1. Have used an 8200CDQ for the last three years or so, hooked up to ATC100 actives, sounds great and so far has been reliable, the range of inputs are superb and most are in use. One of the inputs is a Naim CD1 with digital or analogue output, it is difficult to identify that input from the CDQ disc player, and streaming from Media Monkey when switching between the same tracks So far it has been good for me.

Always liked Audiolab stuff, started out on my hifi journey with a second hand 8000A about 20 years ago!!

I currently use an Audiolab 8200ap as a processor in my cinema system, but the only Audiolab is a 8200p driving the rear channels.

I run NS1000x speakers and the original 8000A is amazing with them, but the later (Chinese I think?!) 8200 doesn’t have that same intimacy and insight. It’s a cold, very - “Here’s your music, now go and find something else to make you feel warm and fuzzy, coz I’m not going to bother...” type of amp. I moved onto Cymbol (Exposure) and then a Yamaha B-2 V-fet amplifier, and both of those (especially the power behind the B-2) creating very involving stereo.

I’ll always have some Audiolab around.

I ran a proper British 8000A for many years, great amp, but the criticism of it being a bit boring is not exactly unfounded - it's not unique to the later Chinese made ones. It was best partnered with somewhat excitable/bright/aggressive sounding kit to achieve a balanced sound, but as that described most CD players at the time that was no bad thing! Also had the RCA sockets comming off thing, but was an easy fix with some £2.50 Maplin ones that I am half convinced are the same ones Naim use (they certainly look the same) and a bit of cat5 cable - sounded better too.

I have had Audiolab for a long time . FIrst 8000c + 8000P then 2x8000M then 8000q ( also have the TagMclaren PA10/60P versions which are a but darker sounding) then 8200cdq replacing the 8000q. But I still have the 8000q incase the 8200cdq goes bang as it is a complicated bit of kit. I have sold the 8000c + 8000p. The 8000m's have better bass than the 8000p. And the 8000q is a big step up from the 8000c but doesnt have in built phono.
I think they work well with classical and vocal music and work well with my Monitor Audio R852MD and later Epos M5/12is. They look very nice - the size and proportions of the case is some kind of beauty?

Had only one- the 8000T and what a thing! Their '20bit' two box cdp was great in its day, 18 years ago.

I had an 8000a but a burglar took it away. My insurers gave me Cyrus stuff to replace it which I then replaced.

I was indifferent to the 8000a

Audiolab is part of the IAG group which also owns Quad which I believe is their brand leader with Audiolab marketed as a more affordable brand. I have been a continuous Quad user for 30 years but my only Audiolab purchase has been an M-DAC+ in April last year. Ironically it was to go with my Arcam system which is silver but Arcam only do black these days, however the M-DAC+ is a good match both sonically & colour. I had considered the Chord 2Qute but went for the M-DAC+ because of its greater range of inputs & its good reviews. My only criticism of it is the shape which is quite high but only just over half standard width, so it was more difficult to accommodate in my cabinet. It is closer to the Quad 2/3rds width kit than the Audiolab 8300 series size/shape. It also seems to have a lot of technology shared with the Quad Artera Play CD player with built-in DAC inputs but fewer than the M-DAC+. My Quad system is the 99 series which was very much an earlier version of the Artera functionally but have retired my CDP2 in favour of an Oppo 105 universal player.

thanks for all your comments.....like a few of you I first bought a second hand 8000a about 10 years ago, the time will come when I get upgradeitus which I suspect happens to everyone! i'll stick with what i've got for now but will carry on reading and no doubt envying some of the classy kit talked about on here?

I've been using Audiolab kit in some form or another since the late 80's, previously I've used an S, SX, P, CDM, DAX...

My current Audiolab setup in my main system is;

MDAC (JW upgraded L2 'Toy'), used as DAC/Pre
8000Q (Audiocellar upgrade), used as analogue Pre (TT etc.)
3 x 8000M (Audiocellar upgrade, ballanced and tuned, one spare)

I still have the CDM and DAX, but I've ripped all my CD's to flac and stream via LMS, so they're on the 'bench' as it were...

I've been using Audiolab kit in some form or another since the late 80's, previously I've used an S, SX, P, CDM, DAX...

My current Audiolab setup in my main system is;

MDAC (JW upgraded L2 'Toy'), used as DAC/Pre
8000Q (Audiocellar upgrade), used as analogue Pre (TT etc.)
3 x 8000M (Audiocellar upgrade, ballanced and tuned, one spare)

I still have the CDM and DAX, but I've ripped all my CD's to flac and stream via LMS, so they're on the 'bench' as it were...
you sound like you'e
Happy with audiolab kit.Can I ask why the upgrades and was there a big improvement? What speakers do you use?

Currently have the 8200CDQ and 8200A with some AE301's in a system and it's a fine sounding set up. The CDQ replaced a lovely Arcam CD92 and the Audiolab betters it but not by much and as we all know the CD92 is a fine performer. The original Audiolab stuff always sounded good but over time issues arose with connectors etc but the sound was always there. I fancy adding a streamer to the system but not sure what to go for yet.

I lost interest when TAG McLaren took over
The British build were fine kit, a bit sterile not really engaging the listener
Solid amplication and a tuner hard to beat
8000S & T and you were running, 8000P had endless power
Unfortunately UK Audiolab had some connector Quality Issues
Nowadays the older 8000M seem to increase in value

One mistake it seems the old 125 watt 8000m/8200m now discontinued into the 8300 series? only the monster 250 watt things available? who needs them? ( I have seen quite a few for sale on EBay maybe that says sometning?) The 8000P is now the 140watt 8300XP

advertisement

Back