advertisement

* Audiolab 8200MB - My Nightmare

You're sure they don't really mean a batch of "fake" transistors as illicitly substitited by their far eastern manufacturers?

Seems to me that Audiolab have rather more than their share of "duff" components of late!

I've suffered one myself. But where is the evidence for this. Anywhere?

Seems like the most common fault is that the MPSA92 transistors have some issue.
Just replace and readjust BIAS et.c.
Got mine working with that.

My other Audiolab has some strange hum issue.
It is like high frequency modulated with 50Hz.
It is only 16mV rms on the output, so audioble, but not terrible.
I measured all caps and found no bad one.
Before I changed the MPSA92s it was popping and sometimes in protect mode.
Now it is at least a bit more predictable :)

Just to check anyone is having or has experienced problem with 8200MB. Since Dec 2010, I am experiencing a saga of 8200MB problems. I am now awaiting my 6th 8200MB - to replace ANOTHER faulty 8200MB.

I got the same problems with my 8200mb... I got 3rd replacement now. Problem i had this problem inside 2 year warranty, then left it. Reported to audiolab after my warrenty expired, send back, they fixed for small price (not), but problem keeps coming back... Sending back 3rd time now... Is it honestly not better to just throw in the bin... Audiolab products really are rubbish

Chronologically:
1st pair - initially one without audio and then eventually both blocks 'suffered' LED blinking

2nd pair - upon receiving the pair of replacements, LEFT speaker started to produce sort-of intermittent static noise, which got me initially to suspect Interconnect or Mains cable or wall power supply.....I swapped Interconnects/Mains and even the MB to RIGHT - the static noise 'followed' with the MB. I tried 'to live with it'.
And then, the unbelievable happened about 2 weeks later, the MB LED blinking AGAIN! OMG!

Local dealer had loaned me 8000P and there was no problem. Similarly, previously when I had 8000A for this setup and there was no problem for >5yrs (!!!).

1x MB replacement - all seemed OK 2-3 weeks. And then, out-of-the-blue, intermittent static noise started on RIGHT speaker and then no audio. Having to understand from UK helpdesk, I isolated the MB with only Mains connected at 'Always On' -> only 2 clicks, and so suspected output relay fault. OMG!

Another 1x MB replacement - all seemed OK about 1 month. And then intermittent static noise on LEFT speaker, but louder than previously experienced. I withheld my frustration, until the intermittent static noise became louder 'blak-blak' like some electrical surge on speaker. This phenomenon was also replicated with delaer's speaker.

And so now I am awaiting my 6th 8200MB.

:mad::rolleyes::confused:

A scary thread for me, but for the record, I've been running 8200mbs for five years without a hiccup.

I have 8200mbs that I bought in 2011. There was a known fault with these, that Audiolab in the UK fixed. If I remember correctly it was some transistors they had to replace, as there had been a bad batch used in manufacture. They have been good as gold since....

Chinese-made does not necessarily mean poor quality. There are good and poor manufacturers as in most countries. Steer clear of the e-bay junk, and stick with reputable brands with UK based back-up. I have no qualms buying Chinese built Audiolab equipment, or other goods from other manufacturers also made in China. It's the reputation & back-up that's important.

The engineer who serviced my 8000A told me you wouldn’t get the same quality of components in a Far
East Audiolab.
He specifically mentioned the rotaries and switches.
I’m keeping my 8000A...

I bought a pair second-hand, so whatever hassles might have or have not been present, somebody else had sorted. They were absolutely OK here for the few months that I had them.

I then bought a pair of Avondale monoblocks - 750VA transformers using NCC200 board - from a fellow fishie. Swapped them out and the other half's jaw dropped - always a good test. Night and day.

It surprises me that Audiolab have problems like this, being part of IAG (Quad owner) who have an excellent back-up service. Clearly the faulty batch is the cause here but still surprising it was not identified & a recall made. Rob Flain is the long-serving service manager in UK & in my experience does a first class job.
The comments about Chinese made is a wild generalisation & I have quite a bit of kit made in China which has never failed over many years.

advertisement

Back