advertisement

Audiolab 8200DQ occasional "control software update" message on power-up

Hcanning

pfm Member
Hi folks,

The other day I powered up my hifi and noticed no sound coming out. I looked at my Audiolab and noticed a message about 'control update' on the screen. That didn't seem right to me since it hasn't got any connectivity and so it can't check for updates. If I pressed the 'enter' knob it started a countdown, but I didn't want to proceed with this so I stopped. Pressing the 'menu' button allows the unit to continue to boot up and then work perfectly.

Bit strange, but I put it down to a one-off.

Today it happened again. This is what appears:

PFNxY2u.jpg

Again, pressing the 'Menu' button allows it to proceed as normal.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this odd issue? @JohnW ?

The only thing I can think of is there's some strange IR combination being sent by my Logitech Harmony remote system. Can this feature be invoked by certain button presses?

Thanks,
Howard.

cant help you about that but I would allow better ventilation on top as they have a bank of capacitors front right within 1mm or less from some very hot heat sinks. ( in the 8200cdq so probably dq also)

cant help you about that but I would allow better ventilation on top as they have a bank of capacitors front right within 1mm or less from some very hot heat sinks. ( in the 8200cdq so probably dq also)

Thanks - I have been thinking about raising up the Bluray player to get some air space around it - I'll do that this evening I think.

You wont believe me how hot the capacitors inside get there. too hot to touch. I was so worried I took the top off and run a small fan there. I read that capacitors dont like running really hot and the bank of large ones there dont seem any thing special. bad design I think. I cant afford to keep replacing gear every few years due to failure.

My confidence in Audiolab has taken a knock - see my woes with the Audiolab 8200T dab tuner below. Seems to be a very bad bit of gear in the long run

I had a similar problem with my Audiolab 8000AV. If I left it switched off for too long then it would refuse to come back on. I'd have to take it to the dealers to get the software reloaded. I think there must be an internal battery which maintains the software presumably on a chip.

I guess in your case it could be that there's a rechargeable battery that's beginning to fail. I would try leaving it switched on for a while and, if it doesn't happen over that time, that might be it.

advertisement

Back