advertisement

Audiolab 8200DQ - heat

Hcanning

pfm Member
Hi all,

I have my 8200DQ in a cabinet with a closed front but completely open back. On top of my 8200DQ sits my bluray player.

I noticed last night that the 8200 gets quite warm. Far warmer than the Meridian 557 it feeds :D

Am I going to kill it by having the bluray player sitting on top of it, or is it not an issue? I seem to recall the manual states that warm operation is normal. Annoyingly due to the layout of my cabinet, moving the bluray player isn't particularly doable.

Thanks!

well you aint doing it much good. I have the 8200cdq and I was worried about heat so took the top off and use a small fan to blow air over the heat sinks inside - What amazes me is that the main heat sinks are very close ( maybe 1mm or less away from) a bank of large capacitors which are so close that one or two do get warmer than the others, all it needs is for any to be put on the circuit board skew and you have hot caps. Maybe I am needlessly worrying but I keep my gear a long time and dont want to buy another equivalent product soon. One reason why I wouldnever buy a demo version of this item unless I knew it had spent its life mostly off - I have seen demo 8200cdqs in show rooms on, in close fitting with little ventilation cases running presumably 6 days a week working hrs ugh!" I cant help but feel this proximity of heatsinks and caps is a serious physical design flaw, they had to cram so much inside the case? As for the manual saying it does get hot, well I remember old Musical Fidelity amps that "got hot" and didnt last well, also my Roksan Xerxes psu that "got hot" and fried the chips and dried out the caps ( mine ok as I took the case top off )

In all 4 of my systems I have to stack some of my kit due to space limitations. I use B&Q tap washers of various sizes depending on the size of the feet on the kit to create gaps to improve air flow. I use a bit of blu-tack to stick the tap washers together & to the bottom of the kit which makes it much easier to position them. Where possible I put things which get hot on top of kit which stays relatively cool & have bigger gaps where kit has ventilation slots on top to prevent heat build-up. Only 1 cabinet is enclosed & I knocked the back out years ago as doing so did not weaken the rigidity as it has a fixed "turntable" shelf at the top. I also leave the door ajar when in use to aid airflow. I have only a few pieces of kit which get quite hot, the main offenders being my Rega Elicit-R amp which gets very hot but has a shelf to itself, & my Audiolab M-DAC+ but being narrower than other kit it has plenty of space around it. What I find a bit surprising is that I have to stack a pair of Arcam P1 power amps (170 watt per channel) but they barely get warm.

I think the time to be concerned is in the summer time if your rooms get hot, then maybe direct a fan on the casing to remove the heat

advertisement

Back