advertisement

Audiolab 8200cdq gone quieter at same volume setting

As I suggested above, you might want to make a virtue of your problem and find a way of adapting your system to using your Audiolab in fixed mode. If your 8200CDQ is designed like my Mdac, the preamp sound quality is not the best, at least to my ears. Using an external preamp in my system improves the SQ considerably.

Brab
I'm suprised to hear your opinion on the pre-amp section of the CDQ.To be honest most of the reviews and people on here seem to think that going direct from CDQ to power amp was the best configuration,as Audiolab seperate pre-amps do not seem very well thought of.I know from the comments on here that JW didn't think much of the standalone pre unit-maybe he didn't work on that,i don't know.
I am presuming,you are talking about using an Audiolab Pre and not another brand.
To be honest i have never owned a pre-amp,as i have always had integrated before i bought the CDQ.What pre-amp are you using?

I've done some reading and it looks like your unit is not designed like my Mdac, whose "preamp" is actually just a passive digital attenuator with no gain, whereas your CDQ seems to have a proper active preamp with gain. You may disregard my comment above since I know nothing about the quality of your preamp section. FWIW, my preamp is just a passive analog attenuator.

Yeah the CDQ is a great preamp!

personally I don’t think that what you are experiencing is problematic.

advertisement

Back