advertisement

Audiolab 8000c Phono stage compared to standalone units

richie60

pfm Member
I recently picked up an Audiolab 8000c preamp to use as a Phono stage and to switch between sources in my system.

I'd be interested to know how people rate the Phono stage compared to standalone units as I've heard it isn't bad.

I know Audiolab generally gets a bashing here but I like their amps.

I used to use an 8000A for this purpose, which I believe had an excellent phono stage, this was switchable for MC/MM. I did get a dedicated stage later (musical fidelity, forget the model) this was just to save space and to be honest I don't think there was any improvement in sound quality.
Audiolab don't get a bashing from me by the way, excellent amps.

I've not heard the 8000C phono stage but like the previous poster I have an 8000A and the phono stage on that is very decent. Compared to standalone phono stages I've heard it's certainly better than some of the cheap ones.

Definitely better than the cheap standalone units. I borrowed an older Project unit from a friend as an experiment and going back to my 8000A's internal stage was like pressing a stereo wide button!

However, moving to a Naim NAC72 was a clear improvement, like pressing stereo superwide!

Listening was with a Denon DL-304 MC, 8000A used as pre-amp feeding a Radford STA15. Same cartridge and power amp with NAC72.

The 8000A and 8000C phono stages are essentially identical, but the C has a theoretically better bias scheme for its transistors.

One thing about the 8000C ( and maybe 8000A) was the MC input could take the lowest of low output MC without the need for a transformer

The TagMclaren PA10 ( more or less the 8000C in a better box) also has a nice phono input

I recently picked up an Audiolab 8000c preamp to use as a Phono stage and to switch between sources in my system.

I'd be interested to know how people rate the Phono stage compared to standalone units as I've heard it isn't bad.

I know Audiolab generally gets a bashing here but I like their amps.

I think the phono stage is very good on the 8000a. I use the MC side.
The Audiolab is a very good amp. in my opinion. I’ve just had mine serviced.
Why people are so strongly opinionated about it I don’t know...

Why people are so strongly opinionated about it I don’t know...[/QUOTE]

I can answer that one: some people prefer a more up beat presentation.

I have never understood have an amplifier can be 'upbeat.' Surely it's the music ?[/QUOTE]

You need to get out more, Martyn. :)

To take an extreme example, play the same piece of music through an average tube amp, then through a Naim (etc), and I can't believe you wouldn't notice the difference in perceived tempo.

I have never understood have an amplifier can be 'upbeat.' Surely it's the music ?

You need to get out more, Martyn. :)

To take an extreme example, play the same piece of music through an average tube amp, then through a Naim (etc), and I can't believe you wouldn't notice the difference in perceived tempo.[/QUOTE]

One of my systems has a tube amp (Audio Note), one is Naim and the other has a big Krell integrated. They all sound different, although all sound good!

I also have an 8000A, which my daughter is getting for her vinyl led system. and it's also a very good amp.

advertisement

Back