advertisement

Audiocom Superclock

mcai7et2

pfm Member
Has anyone used one of these, it looks to be a pretty complex unit compared to the Trichord Clock 2 I currently use. Is there likely to be a big upgrade in terms of sound quality over the Trichord clock?

The reason I ask is that someone is selling them for £60 on Ebay at the moment (current price on Audiocom for the replacement - the Superclock II is £165).

If anyone is interested, they are at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3062831627&category=295

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It is Audiocom that are selling them. I have a bid of £41.00 on an auction sale they are doing at the moment for this clock. Last week they sold one for £60.00. The reserve price was £60.00. I read a review the other day of this clock; the reviewer found the first 2 clocks he tried had faulty transistors. The extra components are probably for additional voltage regulation. I don’t know whether to buy one of these or a Trichord2 for £49.00.
You may be better fitting a power supply to your Trichord2

wonder if they are as good as his Tri-Braid, symmetrical construction featuring multi-sized stranded 6N 99.9999997%

Hmmm, to many 9's me thinks

I reckon that compared to most of the aftermarket clocks, whose prices have rocketed in recent years, this offers good VFM for the improvement its likely to bring.

It's certainly a more advanced unit than the Trichord clock 2.

Think I may buy one for my DVD player...

Andy.

I've ordered a 27MHz one for my DVD player, which may be here today / tomorrow.

Will report back on the quality, but it looks a neat, tidy unit for the money. If the performance upgrade is anything like that I've experienced in CD players it will be money well spent.

Andy.

Yes. I sent my cheque on Friday. I just hope I get mine by Christmas. With all the Christmas post I wish I had paid by paypal. Those inconsiderate bastards that send Christmas cards have no right interfering with our melding. Still they may have inadvertently extended the life of my CP player.
:rolleyes:

I found a review from the States for superclock 2, it implies that the previous version. (The one we have bought takes up to 200 hours to burn in).

I have had a thought, does the speed of the clock effect it overall accuracy.
Would a 11Mhz clock accurate to 5ppm, be more accurate than 27Mhz clock accurate to 2.5ppm.

I bought one

Paid for it by paypal :)

Going to replace the Trichord clock 2 in my CDP, will report back on my findings.

Let us know what you find.

What frequency is your clock? If it's 16.9344 I'd be interested in buying the one you decide not to keep.

Regards,

Andy.

It is indeed, I will let you know once I have had a chance to audition the Superclock. I found a review of the Superclock against the Trichord clock 3 and the review came out in favour of the superclock, so I have high hopes!

Very speedy delivery, not checked it's function yet.

It's probably worth the money for the 14 Black gate caps on it ;)

The circuit has three on-board 3-terminal regulators, plentiful decoupling and three active stages.

At a guess these are oscillator, buffer and output circuit / squaring, each fed by it's own regulator.

Very neat and tidy, compared to the LCAudio board in my main CDP.

We'll see what wonders it can do in a DVD player!

Andy.

Prehaps Andy, you should compare the Super clock II with the Trichord clock 4, a more useful excerise I feel although, even when using a far superior clock than the to one on either board of the 2 mentioned, I usualy find the quality & regulation of the power supply tends to be more importantance. Sm

Time to mod: 15-20 mins.

Whilst I totally agree with the Monster's comments above, the clock is a potentially simple fix to improve the DVD performance with little effort and reasonable cost.

The LG player I have is an excellent unit, using one of the C-Cube Ziva decoder chips, and uses a 27MHz clock. The intention was to mod it without taking the whole thing apart as the main motherboard runs the full length of the unit and needs a total dismantle in order to makes changes to the PSU side of things.

As is common in most commercial players they all use switching supplies, followed by some linear regulation. The LG uses a large number of 4-terminal Fairchild reg's, the fourth terminal being a logic-level input to disable the main regulator output in standby mode.

These reg's have pretty poor specs, and will no doubt benefit from some improvements (in particular line rejection is some 30dB worse than even an LM3x7). To implement super regs will require extensive modification since many of the reg's run close to dropout so there's not enough 'head' for this technology at present. Since I have no desire to add external boxes for PSU's a more elegant solution will proabably be to use some low-dropout adjustables, later on.

Anyway the existing clock is a classic Pierce oscillator design, built with a seperate buffer chip, that then feeds the decoder.

There's loads of room inside and the existing crystal and its support components were removed in a few seconds, and the clock was able to be located right next to where the crystal was removed from. This allowed very short output wiring from the clock to the main decoder board (literally a few mm).

A quick scan of the board found a 12V regulator I could tap to provide power to the clock board. With the SMPS technology involved there is likely to be some residual switching noise on the raw supplies, so tapping a regulated supply will help reduce this and reduce noise induced jitter in the clock. The on-board regs will further attenuate this. The power feed runs the full length of the DVD player, so some additional decoupling in the form of a 120u Oscon was added at the clock PSU input, the long feed acting as an inductor to make the input filter, in effect an LC filter circuit. This will further help attenuate any high frequency noise and ensure the 12V reg doesn't 'see' the Oscon and suffer as a result.

In order to determine the correct input for the clock I connected a 1K resistor from the clock output to one of the vacated crystal holes - this limits the current so that if I feed the clock into the output of the buffer chip it won't do any damage. The SMD technology used in the LG is tiny, and component ID's hard to read in order to work out the correct connection from first principles.

Upon powering up I was greeted by a distorted picture indicating that my luck on the 50:50 chance of getting the right input had run out today - obviously I was trying to feed the clock to the output of the buffer chip.

A quick swap to feed the clock into the other input and all was well, so the 1K resistor was removed.

Was it worth it?

Well, yes, athough I must admit the sonic benefits seem much greater than the visual ones. There is more detail within a good DVD (a totally digital production like Monsters Inc. is a good example of this) and there is more tonal detail in some elements. I'm not sure if it's just a question of limited TV performance, whether we are less sensitive to subtle visual improvements compared to sonic ones, or some other factor, but I wouldn't have said it was an astonishing improvement, although it is better. Maybe the difference will become more apparent with time?

The sound though is dramatically better, the DVD player wasn't a patch on the CD5, to the point where I couldn't listen to a CD for any period of time. Post modification the sound is better across the board, to the point where it's very enjoyable. The bass is tighter and better controlled and treble is so much more detailed and less splashy.

Music DVD's sound much more engaging too, the copy of Muse 'Hullabaloo' I have on loan is much better, bass lines that where previously a little muddied by the live acoustic are easier to follow, drums are more dynamic and subtle cymbal work becomes more apparent within the acoustic of a live gig.

It falls down still, on CD's, in terms of low-level resolution, the CD5 digs way more detail from the CD, with subtle changes in the acoustic surrouning a recording being laid startlingly bare. The DVD by comparison misses this totally, but get's the heart of the rythmic elements right, allowing one to tap and sing along easily.

Worth £60 in my opinion and it's made me VERY interested in looking at more music DVD's as the audio/visual combination can prove very engaging, in a way I'd not thought possible, previously.

Andy.

I'm not sure if it's just a question of limited TV performance, whether we are less sensitive to subtle visual improvements compared to sonic ones, or some other factor, ...
I'd say it's a bit of both.

TV pictures are nowhere near as convincing as the 'real thing' - when compared to a decent audio system, and anyway most people are very unfussy about picture quality in the home (even more so than audio!). With video, you would struggle to see 35ns jitter on a domestic tele; with audio, you can hear 100ps (I believe).

Depending on the quality of your TV, the video bandwidth is probably not fantastic either, and in addition the TV signal is designed to be fairly robust wrt timing errors.

However, the combination of pictures and well reproduced music can be very compelling. Even with my humble JVC toob telly stuck between my speakers, I find myself enjoying incidental music and adverts (well some of them anyway) much more than before. The only problem is that I've noticed background audio noise (traffic) on some programmes, that I'd not spotted before.

Many 'music' performances these days, include a projected image element - so there's no reason to suppose that artists couldn't make full use of both the A&V elements of the DVD medium in their compositions ... and I don't just mean 'pop' videos either!

With video, you would struggle to see 35ns jitter on a domestic tele; with audio, you can hear 100ps (I believe).

That's interesting as I know you have experience with video. I believe that jitter at <100ps is audible, depending upon application.

Interestingly in audio the spectral makeup of that jitter / phase noise is also relevant, intuitively that is likely to be true in video too.

I'm certainly pleased with the result for the minimal effort expended.

In fact my thoughts turn to Freeview - I guess there's no reason (up to the limits of the data reduction methods involved) why similar improvements there couldn't bring benefits too - anyone tried it?

I may buy a cheaper STB for the bedroom soon, if I do an investigation of it's internals could be called for, my Netgem is out of bounds due to a 3 yr warranty.

Andy.

Alan

How was your clock packed. Mine arrived wrapped in bubble wrap in a small Mail Lite envelope.
The crystal and a nearby capacitor have been bent back. I am a bit concerned about the crystal, as the pins are now visible, I can only assume they have been pulled out of the crystal body.
Does anybody have any knowledge as to how they are constructed and an opinion as to possible damage caused.
Thanks in advance.

Interestingly in audio the spectral makeup of that jitter / phase noise is also relevant, intuitively that is likely to be true in video too.
Yes, the 35ns I quoted is line to line (ie vertical). Because the TV monitor syncs to the line syncs, and the pixel clock is locked to line sync (or line sync is derived from the pixel clock), you don't tend to notice horizontal errors anyway!

The video signal is a brilliant piece of engineering design (it's incredibly robust), but hi-fi, it aint.

Mine was packed similarly - the pins in a crystal are a very tight, hermetic seal, so I suspect that it's more likely to have not been fully seated when assembled. My Xtal had the case soldered to the ground plane, IIRC, so it shouldn't move much.

I doubt it's damaged, same for the cap, in my experience crystal leads break, but don't pull out - check the solder joint into the PCB though.

If it works it will be fine, I'm sure, if you have a 'scope it's easy to power up and check.

Now you chaps have had them up and running for a while, how are you finding them? Wondering about chucking one in to my Marantz CD17 - they're still up on ebay for £60....

Please eveyone... don't compare the latest Audiocom clock to a Trichord Clock 2. The 2 is now 10 years old and sold as a cheap upgrade.

The Clock 4 with a "Never-connected" power supply is the benchmark that you should use for comaparason, and really, there isn't one;)

Regards,

Colin

advertisement

Back