advertisement

Audio time travel: what would you do differently?

My lessons:

- product support/reliability can be more important than absolute sound quality

- avoid kit I can't lift by myself such as 32kg power amps

- avoid anything to do with 6922 (and equivalent) valves - they seem to always go noisy rather fast

- convenience is a major element in actually listening to music. If I were to start over today, it would be all Roon and local files on a NAS, no vinyl, no CDs.

I would add the importance of keeping my ears in good health.

After a long absence I took my kids to their first gig in 2018 and fortunately decided to take ear plugs with me; I often cover my ears at the cinema if the sound gets too loud, same with ambulances passing by.

Steve, what speakers do you use and what,if any, would you like instead?

In profile, Art Emotion Signatures which I've had for years no desire for change. I should have added that sorting the room response made by far the biggest improvement to enjoying any gear.

I never had so much fun as I did with my LP12, Exposure X and Royd A7s (1989/90) whatever the limitations of a speaker that small are. Subsequent systems have all been improvements and whilst I’ve now reached a level where things don’t really improve, they just change flavour, I wish I’d stayed with that system with the beautiful Stilton Audio TS10 cartridge and gone to more gigs. I possibly could have drunk a bit less beer, too.

I would add the importance of keeping my ears in good health.

After a long absence I took my kids to their first gig in 2018 and fortunately decided to take ear plugs with me; I often cover my ears at the cinema if the sound gets too loud, same with ambulances passing by.

I’m with you on the ambulances. I find that really painful.

I wish I hadn't bought so much 2nd hand classical vinyl, most of which turned out to be unplayable.

Also I do sort of grudge the amount of strange and interesting "off-repertoire" classical CDs that I've bought which will never have been listened to more than once. Now with streaming and my wife's Spotify I can try just about anything before buying!

Kit wise... I wouldn't waste time & money on valves again.
I wish I'd kept the SME 10 deck I had 15 years ago instead of wanting hear more and different things as I'm sure it was as good/better than all the others.

Actually, I would buy kit once, stop, be happy....and have a bigger pension pot.

I don’t think I’d change much (I’m discounting financial value as a motive, e.g. going back and buying shed-loads of TL12.1s, LS3/5As etc isn’t what this thread is about for me).

I view the whole thing as a journey, a learning curve, and one framed by some very precise context. Even if I knew 40 years ago that huge vintage Tannoys or whatever were where I’d end up, which I certainly didn’t, I was living in a succession of tiny flats and the Kans I used for so many years were vastly more suited to that environment. The only thing I maybe wish I’d known earlier is how much I seem to like vintage idler-drive turntables. I could have done that aspect of my journey far earlier had I say heard a really good well setup 301 or 124 back before I went off down the ‘80s belt-drive route. The irony here is I did really like my first GL75, but I hadn’t learned enough to articulate quite why. I just knew that whilst I’d gained something by ‘upgrading’, I’d also lost too.

I think we live in a very different and vastly more democratic time now in that huge swathes of information and opinion are now in the public domain for instant access. A magazine review or dealer sales pitch is vastly diminished in stature now. They are far more easily assessed as what they are, and just sink back into a whole sea of opinion from which, given enough time, the better products and thinking will always emerge. That’s where I now live. I have pretty absolutely no interest in current trends or rave reviews. I’m obviously in the position that I created a job out of it, so maybe I value the journey/learning-curve aspect more than some. I never thought I’d ever get quite as hands-on with servicing etc, but again that is the power of shared knowledge and interaction.

To throw a political perspective on it I view where we are now to be back to the early hobbyist/pioneering days of the 1950s and ‘60, but with vastly improved information distribution, exchange and free interaction. I really like where we are now. It is the same with music (the major corporations are marginalised and music is back in the hands of creatives). For audio the 1980s, at least in the UK, were probably the most marketing-led/Thatcherite in spirit where the focus was so strongly on ‘the new’ and was a far more consumerist and mass-trend mindset. It gave a lot of small businesses a break, but it did end up too ideological, too ‘flavour of the month’, too dismissive of good products both old and new that didn’t ‘fit’ IMO. I see things now (at least here in the two-channel enthusiast/hobbyist arena) as being a far more democratic, green and sustainable thing with vintage/classic audio finally finding its correct place and respect in the market. I hope this mindset will shift into other areas of consumer electronics hence my firmly backing Right To Repair etc.

The amusing thing is I’ve pretty much done a full-circle. I started out with a GL75, 33/303 and JR149s in the late-70s, and I’ve ended up owning a fair bit of that again along with other stuff that conceptually and historically sits happily next to it. Obviously digital has been a huge thing too. I very much enjoy the instant access to new music modern technology brings, and it seamlessly integrates into classic audio systems. I still prefer to buy physical media, but it is all good. One of the things I actually like the most is my iPhone with its 100GB music library that I can take anywhere. The 16 year old me would have viewed that as better than Star Trek technology!

tl;dr: buy the tried and tested classic stuff second hand, ‘Linn tight’ is a lie, do not trust anything with spikes!

Buy:
  • More records, and not sell/trade any
  • Keep the Beogram 4000
  • Buy all the NOS MMC cartridges from the shelf in Morgan Radios, Sunninghill
  • Jump in to Naim at 72/hicap/140 and stick there

TBH my biggest "hi-fi regret" is that when I sent the 700s off to be 'reviewed' I should have stuck a note on the lid saying: "It's the *FUSE* you e**ing idiot!" on the lid.

Thanks for giving me the chance to say that! I kept it short. :cool:

If I could go back and give myself one piece of advice, I'd tell myself to question everyones motives.

Last edited:
I wish I hadn't got so deep into home cinema. Constant cycle of upgrade/sidegrades of kit and DVD purchases only to come to the eventually conclusion I only watched most things once and spent most of the time turning the sound up and down as the dialogue was mixed low and the sound effects so high.

I could have had a decent system much earlier and also bought much more music in the late 90's and 2000's. I rarely watch movies now at home and don't miss the projector and surround kit.

No regrets, but I lost valuable time on silly placebo accessories at the time when I read glossy audiophile mag reviews.
That was long ago though.

I would have made sure I had a proper demo at a dealers.

I wouldn't have bought half of what I did if I'd listened properly first. I suppose it's a down side of buying second hand.

Andy

1) Realised at the beginning of my journey that the number of flashing lights and shiny chrome parts did not necessarily equate to sound quality
2) Bought the Sansui SR222 MKII rather than the Technics SL B1
3) Realised the mismatch with Naim 102\180 and B&W 804 - this combo never sounded good
4)Not sold my Bow Technologies Wizard/Wazoo - after this I lost interest in hifi until I bought an Atom in 2016 which kick started phase 2 which I benefitted from a better understanding of what makes a difference and why, leading me to where I am today…
5) Not sold my Rega Planar 3

i read time and time again here how much overspending leads to regret. I would always suggest keeping hobby spending proportional to your income. Dont ever make the foolish mistake of thinking this will be your 'final' amplifier. speaker etc.
My hifi is like my car and my van - if one got written off tomorrow I would shrug and looks for replacements . They aren't really worth anything and though I enjoy both, it doesn't matter if I get it wrong.

I would have made sure I had a proper demo at a dealers.

I wouldn't have bought half of what I did if I'd listened properly first. I suppose it's a down side of buying second hand.

Andy
We are all different.... but I realised after the first couple of times that dealer demos just didn't work for me. Maybe they were just rubbish dealers, but the kit I bought as a result of demos never offered any long term satisfaction. I always selected stuff that seemed impressive then became wearing at home.
The only exception was Tom Fletcher's demo system consisting of croft amplifiers and a pair of two way speakers from one of his distributors. He refused to sell me any of the kit, though he was very entertaining (me duck) and I did leave with a beautiful turntable.

advertisement

Back