advertisement

Audio time travel: what would you do differently?

Listen to more gear at friend's homes without any prejudice.
Have more open conversation without the 'mine is better' flavour.
Trust my own ears more than jumping onto some quasi religious philosophy from dealers
that finally to me turned out as an Escher staircase.
My current setup cost 1/3 if not less than what I had in 2010,
but sounds 3 times better to me.
Understanding is much more relevant than money.

So the core of what I should have done different is understand my motivation better,
learn from it & in consequence stand in my own way less.

To be no less cautious in trusting opinions in hi-fi forums and in magazines than I always was with manufacturers.

Not to buy rare pieces of hi-fi from private ebay sellers in foreign countries.

And that having a good system is so much more enjoyable once you stop caring whether it could be any better.

Most of all, unless you're a squillionaire, don't spend lots of money. Too many of those who do eventually seem to regret it.

Oh, and there's more to aligning cartridges than simply screwing them on square to the head shell. I actually ran one like that for a good few years :)

My first real hi fi setup was a pair of Polk LSi15’s I got for free. If I had just picked up a brawny integrated amp (had a small NAD at the time), I probably could have stayed there.

1. Spend less time being such an anorak researching and trying out audio equipment
2. Tell myself that it is all a bit silly and spend far less money buying said equipment
3. Spend more time finding / listening to new music (or doing literally anything else not related to this hobby)

I would have bought a TD124 for 125 quid in 1998.

Somebody stood next to me at NVCF at NEC got one for 80 quid around 2000 while I was scratching my head wondering if I should have it. Not so bad, I got a 401 the same day for 40 quid, whilch is still needing a plinth.

My biggest lesson came during the pandemic after 35 years muddling around in the hobby. I should have pushed the boat out a lot further and went for the dream piece many years ago instead of my safe, incremental, Best Buy approach. Spent too long in the hinterland of mid-price kit that sounded a bit better than my Nait, Spendor 3/5s... but only just. My last amplifier arrived unexpected last year and is more than 10x the cost of my original Nait but has made everything sound large and real. I'd actually manage to convince myself that expensive kit is just to stroke your ego and has nothing to do with getting more enjoyment out of the music...I was wrong.

I never had that thought before, correlating expensive equipment with ego although some people may think that way. I just wished I had more money to spend when I was younger. My current gear are not exactly "high-end" but I derive a lot of listening pleasure from the system.

Getting back to the question of this thread. What would I do differently if I could turn back time? Well, nothing much really. I was quite content with the journey throughout the years.

Afternoon All..

A difficult question in a way, as over time one's attitudes, expectations, and approach with any hobby, tends to change.

I wish I had spent the time when I first started with a HiFi system for the home, to read up on highly qualified engineers and academics in the field, as to what works and what doesn't with HiFi, rather than reading 2 or 3 magazines a month, and later listening to the otherwise well-meaning opinions of fellow amateur HiFi enthusiasts and hobbyists on internet forums.

I wish I had abandoned the system building methodology rooted in the 1950's cottage industry days of early domestic HiFi, of assembling various components (source, amp, speakers etc) from different manufacturers, at a retail level, hoping that the sum of the parts might offer audio nirvana, at a much earlier date.

I wish fully active domestic audio systems at sensible money had been available when I started out in HiFi as a means of being able to listen to my favorite orchestras and classical music works in the home, as I would have hopefully had the knowledge had I done my research as mentioned above, and with it, the sense to embrace a fully active system as a music lover and classical musician first, and audio enthusiast second.

One regret in my audio enthusiast journey is that whilst it was mainly fun, it was also a point of arguably unhealthy obsession at various times with passive separates systems, and certainly a very expensive hobby/interest.

Going with fully active speakers in a very acceptable style, finish, and size has more or less eliminated much of the multiple box count and racks of passive separates systems; placed the emphasis firmly back on the music rather than the kit as a hobby, and given me the musical and overall ownership satisfaction that I originally sought when I set out with my first HiFi system.

We all have a HiFi journey, and it changes and develops as our knowledge grows about ourselves, what works and what doesn't with HiFi kit, and what we like and don't like.

As in many things in life, the old saying "I wish I knew then, what I know now" applies, but I have no real regrets, other than it took several decades to get to where I am now, where my HiFi "Eagle" has finally landed.

Regards

John

Hi,

I don't think I would want to change anything I have done in HiFi.

I have enjoyed having different HiFi systems, the one part that has lasted the longest is my LP12, other parts have changed, maybe a few items I wish I had kept, however with some searching I am sure I could find similar again if I really wanted them.

Part of the fun of HiFi is the journey, if I had my current system(s) way back I most likely would have got bored with it and stopped playing it.

Change as they say is as good as a rest.

Cheers

John

I've been pretty happy with my gear right from the 1950s, being guided by friends: Yamaha, AR, Arcam, Musical Fidelity, Audionote, 300b, Graff C50, Masterclass, Mytek, Chord, Bryston BDP.
I just wish I had discovered Spendor 3/5s earlier. And, I wish I'd have progressed my electronic skills beyond changing plugs. In which case I would have kept one of my valve amps.

PS Also wish I had discovered playing across the room at my current address - after 30+ years.
Thanks Tony for that.

I would have brought full range, easy to drive speakers much earlier. It opened a world of choice and fun trying different amps once the rabbit hole of power was largely out of the equation. The cost of my system is much less than some previous ones I've had but more enjoyable.

Years ago would have probably have been more patient and not so impulsive.... however with mistakes comes wisdom, so am happy with my system now- very, very musical....however will upgrade again but not in any rush as just enjoying the music.:)

Go back in time? Buy several copies of all those Verve, Vertigo swirl and Italian Prog first pressings and make an absolute killing.

Gone straight to Audio Note, not that I own any and probably never will unless I treat myself when I retire.

The only thing I would do different is consider second hand. I blew my first college grant installment on a Sony all in one 'hifi', I thought it was great but second hand could've got me a lot better.
The same thing happened again when I got my first job after uni. I had previously worked Saturdays in HiFi Corner and it seemed logical to get the best I could afford from them. I should've done my research.

I though I’d have loads to say on this but, in reality, I’ve enjoyed it enormously and wouldn’t change any of it. To offer a learning I guess I pay more attention to measurements and specs nowadays.

I would have brought full range, easy to drive speakers much earlier. It opened a world of choice and fun trying different amps once the rabbit hole of power was largely out of the equation. The cost of my system is much less than some previous ones I've had but more enjoyable.

Steve, what speakers do you use and what,if any, would you like instead?

If I had my time again I wouldn't have bothered with the equipment obsession. The only purpose it serves is to be an obsessive outlet for sad little men who like to argue the far end of a fart. I would skip straight to the inexpensive ittle Bluetooth speaker I am listening to right now and use the money I have wasted over the years to do something good like support a worthy charity.

advertisement

Back