advertisement

Audio Research vs EAR Yoshino?

From my understanding of ARC, their stuff below reference level is not really that good enough, like the LS26 example that you give. The LS27 was supposed to be good, but almost everyone says it was bright compred to Ref 3

So the LS27 is bright and the LS 26 is shite - and both overpriced. So what do you recommend as an alternative ? I was led to believe that ARC made great preamps I'm glad I've come across this thread please explain further.

The deciding factor for me was dealer support. Ear offer a reasonably priced service eg postage from £10. Try posting ARC gear.

If you buy a TRON preamp/amp, GT will usually deliver this personally in the UK. In the unlikely event of a problem, he will also often come and collect the defective unit and bring it back himself, so that he can check that it is working fine in the owner's system. That's the support I like.

You need to try the NAT Phil, at much less money it will smoke the 5SE
[/QUOTE]

must be some amp but as you mentioned earlier , back up is everything and maybe not so good with nat
i recently sent back my audionote for repair and had fast sterling service which was extremely good value ...that is why i would consider them

currently using a very modest copper mfa passive which having had silver mark one and two in the past , i am well impressed with the sense of realism , sheer vfm and resolution. i go back to them as well because their service is second to none

Jack,

As you're in London, why don't you take a short trip to Denham near Uxbridge. Have a listen to TRON 01895 833099. Graham Tricker, the designer, makes the most fabulous electronics, including some seriously good preamplifiers at sensible High End money (starting at £3k). If you like what you hear at his place, I'm sure that he would let you have one for home demo.

http://www.tron-electric.co.uk/products/preamplifiers

Beautifully built and used by some high end designers in their own systems.

Charlie

Hi topoxforddoc, The Decameron, bonzo75, david12, Mike Reed and everybody else who has posted, thanks a lot for your input.

I won't actually buy the equipment until next year. Between now and then, I'll visit various shops to listen to some of the gear you have recommended. I'll definitely give the Tron equipment a go, Charlie.

I am not sure whether to team a pre-amp up with, say, EAR power amps, or to hook it up with ATC actives. It's all a bit of an adventure really. Audio Lounge in London's Wigmore Street have Audio Research and ATC, they also sell Devialet which would make a good contrast.

Jack

If you are going active, just get a dac with a built in volume control and connect it to the ATC.

Not sure how you are going to audition all that gear. Makes sense only if you can compare one pre or power with another in the same system. Otherwise just buy an AR Ref 3, and once it's in your system, compare the others. If you like something else, you will be able to sell the AR Ref 3 easily

If you are going active, just get a dac with a built in volume control and connect it to the ATC.

Not sure how you are going to audition all that gear. Makes sense only if you can compare one pre or power with another in the same system. Otherwise just buy an AR Ref 3, and once it's in your system, compare the others. If you like something else, you will be able to sell the AR Ref 3 easily

hah , nothings easy to sell these days , even the mighty ref 3 !!

advertisement

Back