advertisement

Audio Research vs EAR Yoshino?

You'd be surprised how many box swappers buy stuff based on forum opinions and reviews, without hearing it first. Particularly true for people buying stuff second hand privately.

Which is ok. It makes sense to buy an AR Ref 3 used, and then keep it for a while as you compare it with other products. After all, you need to start with some accepted reference in your own home, and the best reference is a common reference that is easy to A/B across. Once you know your stuff you can always demo your final shortlisted candidates at home, and sell the ARC Ref 3. The used market is for demoing - buy and sell used, keep swapping without losing money till you find your component.

david , was it a copy of the baby reference or the real one ? they cost over 6k don`t they ?[/QUOTE]

You're right the baby Reference is over £5000. I bought my copy from a guy in Hungary who got his tech to build a passive to the same design and same transformers, as the baby reference. The transformers themselves cost more than £1200 a pair, so I got myself a (risky) bargain. I have never tried it against a baby reference and would like the chance.
The design seems quite simple, the quality is in the transformers. I am sure it is possible for a good solder jockey to get a really good result.

I've a pair of ex - beeb Leak TL25's from 1959 which still show some modern kit how weedy their transformers are . . .

david , was it a copy of the baby reference or the real one ? they cost over 6k don`t they ?

You're right the baby Reference is over £5000. I bought my copy from a guy in Hungary who got his tech to build a passive to the same design and same transformers, as the baby reference. The transformers themselves cost more than £1200 a pair, so I got myself a (risky) bargain. I have never tried it against a baby reference and would like the chance.
The design seems quite simple, the quality is in the transformers. I am sure it is possible for a good solder jockey to get a really good result.[/QUOTE]

I can tell you the baby gave the ref 5se a real run for the money , although I felt the ref5 had a slight edge on realism the baby is utterly awesome and I regret selling it

had about 20 pre amps in the past few years ,, the tom evans vibe is magnificent for the money and can now be upgraded , the L10 by puresound is good and a smaller proposition than the L300 which wayne [crimsondonkey on the wam ] has at 2850

You need to hear some examples in your our own system,
Keith

Of course, but more easily said than done unless (a) you're happy to pay full whack and suffer depreciation, and (b) live fairly near a dealer who has the options you're interested in. The other option, as mentioned already, is to suck it and see (i.e. buy used then re-sell).

Even this doesn't really address having a proper comparison as you're very unlikely to buy three or so upper level pieces of kit just to compare. Also, proper evaluation takes time. Complicating things, the ears/brain tends to acclimatise to a presentation and initially reject another viable contender. In this regard, bake-offs are useful, as visitors are usually unbiased.

So far, I've tended to buy (used), keeping the incumbent for a few months, swapping in and out on occasion until a decision is reached. With power amp's and speakers, the newcomer has been retained, justifying the punt, I s'pose.

I haven't had an impedance mismatch between Naim pre. and E.A.R. mono's; maybe I've been lucky, Bonzo. Quite the opposite, in fact; total synergy, but your observations on the differences between Valved and s/s pre. corresponds to my received wisdom too.

had about 20 pre amps in the past few years ,..

Don't you ever reach the 'holy grail' stage when you are totally captivated by the music that you don't want to rock the boat by trying an alternative? Maybe it's an age thing, as despite still being inquisitive about other products and their respective presentational differences, I'm loth to lose listening time when things are 'right'.:)

Of course, but more easily said than done unless (a) you're happy to pay full whack and suffer depreciation, and (b) live fairly near a dealer who has the options you're interested in. The other option, as mentioned already, is to suck it and see (i.e. buy used then re-sell).

Even this doesn't really address having a proper comparison as you're very unlikely to buy three or so upper level pieces of kit just to compare. Also, proper evaluation takes time. Complicating things, the ears/brain tends to acclimatise to a presentation and initially reject another viable contender. In this regard, bake-offs are useful, as visitors are usually unbiased.

So far, I've tended to buy (used), keeping the incumbent for a few months, swapping in and out on occasion until a decision is reached. With power amp's and speakers, the newcomer has been retained, justifying the punt, I s'pose.

I haven't had an impedance mismatch between Naim pre. and E.A.R. mono's; maybe I've been lucky, Bonzo. Quite the opposite, in fact; total synergy, but your observations on the differences between Valved and s/s pre. corresponds to my received wisdom too.

In that price bracket dealers should be willing to lend you a unit .
Keith.

In that price bracket dealers should be willing to lend you a unit .
Keith.

Yes, Keith; that is a viable option with those dealers in used kit that will send on approval/trial if they have what you want.

Upsides are that you audition at leisure without commitment, saving a few quid into the bargain and the downside is simply the return (and maybe the outward) carriage if the item doesn't fit the bill.

I'm pretty sure there are such dealers out there and it's an option I'll seriously consider at the appropriate time.

You won't get an impedance mismatch going SS pre to Valve amps, but you might the other way round

You need to try the NAT Phil, at much less money it will smoke the 5SE

The design seems quite simple, the quality is in the transformers. I am sure it is possible for a good solder jockey to get a really good result.

I can tell you the baby gave the ref 5se a real run for the money , although I felt the ref5 had a slight edge on realism the baby is utterly awesome and I regret selling it

had about 20 pre amps in the past few years ,, the tom evans vibe is magnificent for the money and can now be upgraded , the L10 by puresound is good and a smaller proposition than the L300 which wayne [crimsondonkey on the wam ] has at 2850
[/QUOTE]

You won't get an impedance mismatch going SS pre to Valve amps, but you might the other way round

Noted, Bonzo. I think that most people mixing valves and s/s have the pre. valved, which makes sense on a number of levels, so it's interesting to see that there's a potential caveat here, assuming other synergies.

The deciding factor for me was dealer support. Ear offer a reasonably priced service eg postage from £10. Try posting ARC gear.

In general I think ARC make better and better value power amps than Pre's and also the Pre's are quite variable. The LS26 for example had a poor rep compared with the 25 and 27.

Interesting - where does this 'poor reputation' come from ? Are you referring to specific reviews or opinion, and from whom ?

Interesting - where does this 'poor reputation' come from ? Are you referring to specific reviews or opinion, and from whom ?

Listening to a number of units, just my opinion. I am not saying they aren't reasonable Pre's, but very expensive for what they are. In comparison, I think the Arc Ref 75 and 150 are hard to beat at half the price. Over the years I have heard the LS25, 27, Ref 3 and 5

advertisement

Back