advertisement

Audio Physic Scorpio I vs Scorpio 25+

xaaka

Hi there, i've tried everywhere on the web to gather details about these two speakers, quite hard!
I would really appreciate your help in this matter, i'm try to upgrade my speakers (dynaudio X32) to any of those mentioned above.
Will be there any improvement between the two scorpios, does it worth paying twice for the scorpio 25+?
best wishes,
Alex

I can’t help with any information, but I have always liked most of Audio Physic speakers. The Tempo Plus almost made it into my system a couple years back.

Hi, TimF, thank you for the thought! No matter of the Audio Physic model, they all got really nice reviews, i just have no idea what to do, because i can buy any of these two (at a good price) but the newest one, which is scorpio 25+ costs twice, but, still a good price, all i want to know, is....does it worth it?!

Yes, that is a tough call, without a side by side comparison within your own listening space can be puzzling! Twice the cost potentially is a big thing, and I typically am one to think that. Not always is the latest model any huge “upgrade” over existing/previous models. Generally updates to same models over the course of time is evolutionary, and not revolutionary. Just thoughts there....not much help I am afraid! Good luck though!

upgraded from Scorpio 25 Plus Plus [silly name] to Virgo III about 9 months ago, the Scorpios were damn good, the Virgo as expected different league, purchased both as ex demo and saved a lot on both of them

Audio Emotion in Leven are your friends if your not already aware, always have good ex dems at great prices

as previous poster you need to hear them side by side if you can to see if its worth the extra

How did you find the scorpio's sound compared to the virgos? The cabinet should make the difference, isn't it? Scorpio has 2 woofers on while Virgo one one :confused:

upgraded from Scorpio 25 Plus Plus [silly name] to Virgo III about 9 months ago, the Scorpios were damn good, the Virgo as expected different league, purchased both as ex demo and saved a lot on both of them

Audio Emotion in Leven are your friends if your not already aware, always have good ex dems at great prices

as previous poster you need to hear them side by side if you can to see if its worth the extra

I assume you mean the current Virgo III's? If so what all did you find in improvements vs the Scorpio ++? Did you notice any reduction in bass/bottom end or a thinner sound vs the Scorpio being the Virgo's lack 2 bass drivers?

How did you find the scorpio's sound compared to the virgos? The cabinet should make the difference, isn't it? Scorpio has 2 woofers on while Virgo one one :confused:

Actually Scorpio has 2 midrange drivers & 4 bass drivers/woofers (3.5way), while the Virgo is 1 midrange driver & 2 bas drivers (3 way)

As to the original question, original Scorpio vs Scorpio 25+ probably need to hear them both to decide, as they are rather different speakers (while the cabinet looks similar, drivers are completely different). I'm a Scorpio owner, I've been very happy with the speakers, have owned them for 10+ years & never had a real urge to upgrade. I have thought about moving to a newer model either 25+ or stepping up to the Virgo's but wasn't sure the Virgo's would have the bottom end/fullness/slam of the Scorpio's that I don't want to give up.

You can't compare the Scorpio I to a Scorpio 25+. That are completely different speakers. I have owned the Scorpio I (second hand sold around 1.200€). The 25+ sounds different. The S.MKI ones uses paper cones for bass and midrange and soft dome tweeters while the S.25+ metal cone hf, midrange and bass drivers. The S.MKI and the S.25+ are designed by Manfred Distertich but I never liked any of the ones with the metal drivers. They sound to analytical to me.

If you have only to pay the double of the price either the S.MKI is way to expansive or the S.25+ is a bargain.

If you send me your email address via PN I can send you some German reviews of the S.MKI.

You can't compare the Scorpio I to a Scorpio 25+. That are completely different speakers. I have owned the Scorpio I (second hand sold around 1.200€). The 25+ sounds different. The S.MKI ones uses paper cones for bass and midrange and soft dome tweeters while the S.25+ metal cone hf, midrange and bass drivers. The S.MKI and the S.25+ are designed by Manfred Distertich but I never liked any of the ones with the metal drivers. They sound to analytical to me.

If you have only to pay the double of the price either the S.MKI is way to expansive or the S.25+ is a bargain.

If you send me your email address via PN I can send you some German reviews of the S.MKI.

Did you hear both Scorpio versions in your own system? Rather interesting that you think the newer versions sound more analytical, as that was my very worry if I was to upgrade (not easy to get an AP demo in general in my area & likely can't at home). I don't doubt the newer versions offer more insight/resolution into the music but I don't want to give up that natural/life like timbre the Scorpio's offer, which I was worried might be the case. I have heard a number of people state their cone tweeter sounds like no tweeter at all, which has kept me interested.

I have owned the S.MKI and have listened to the S.MKII, the Tempo 25, the Avantera 25 plus.
For me it is quite the opposite, I could live with the S.MKI again but with no metal cone A.P. I have listened to.
The dealer where I bought the S.MKI and have listened (at home too) the Tempo 25 also removed A.P. from his brand list because he also didn't liked the newer ones.Newer and more expansive is not necessarily better.

daren_p, Old Shatterhand, thank you for sharing your Audio Physic knowledge! Some say AP focus on classic, jazz, and female voices, how do you rate these speakers playing...let's say rock, or any contemporary music genres?

I wouldn't consider the newer A.P. for neither of the genre it sounds to analytical to me. With the Scorpio MKI you can listen to everything but to me there are also better speakers.

How big is your room?
How many space do you have between the speakers, to the back (measured from the front) and to the sidewalls (measured from the middle of the speakers)?
How far do you sit away?
How empty/full is the room?
How loud do you want to listen?
What aspects of sound reproduction is important to you?
Which amplifier do you use?

How big is your room? 7x7x2,4m
How many space do you have between the speakers, to the back (measured from the front) and to the sidewalls (measured from the middle of the speakers)? 3 meters with ease
How far do you sit away? 5m +/-
How empty/full is the room? some wooden furniture here and there
How loud do you want to listen? from a 1 to 10 scale i would say 7
What aspects of sound reproduction is important to you? this is a nice one, i would like my speakers to make me feel and reproduce a live concert!:D:rolleyes:
Which amplifier do you use Roksan Caspian mk1

you MAY want to try listening to one of the earlier AP offerings - the Tempo II and Virgo II were some of their best speakers ever and can be had for a FRACTION of what the current ones cost if you can get them second hand

How big is your room? 7x7x2,4m
So quiet big. For my taste the X32 is much to small for such room sizes
How many space do you have between the speakers, to the back (measured from the front) and to the sidewalls (measured from the middle of the speakers)? 3 meters with ease

That can be a too big distance. How about the other distances?

How far do you sit away? 5m +/-
That is way to far for non horn speakers in my eyes. Are you able to use a listening position which is closer to the speakers, lets say around 2.5-3m.
How empty/full is the room? some wooden furniture here and there
So more or less modern without many damping. Maybe you can show us some pics.
How loud do you want to listen? from a 1 to 10 scale i would say 7
A decibel number at the listening spot would be helpful but I guess you like it loud sometimes.
What aspects of sound reproduction is important to you? this is a nice one, i would like my speakers to make me feel and reproduce a live concert!:D:rolleyes:
That is comprehensible but you can't achieve tonality, dynamics, bass volume and all that at the same level. Is tonality more important or dynamic, scale and slam/impact? Dynaudio has a good tone but are not the most dynamic speakers and especially yours aren't able to do scale/impact. What are you hoping for with an upgrade?

How big is your budget for speakers?

sticking to the brand mentioned perhaps Codex ? I was informed they are better suited for the bigger rooms

seen a few coming up ex demo for approx. half price, but perhaps not in your budget

daren_p, Old Shatterhand, thank you for sharing your Audio Physic knowledge! Some say AP focus on classic, jazz, and female voices, how do you rate these speakers playing...let's say rock, or any contemporary music genres?

I don't typically listen to any classical but do some jazz & female vocal, the majority of my listening is mixed, some acoustic, lots of indie rock/folk, etc. I think the speakers (MK1) are excellent all rounders, they also offer lots of "slam"/almost endless bottom end, if you want to "rock out". So no, rock is not an issue for them.

...they also offer lots of "slam"/almost endless bottom end...
Can't agree because the measurement of 3 different magazines are telling a different story.
-3dB@60Hz and -6dB@51Hz. That isn't very deep for a speaker of this size with 4 18cm drivers but you can't achieve high sensitivity and deep bass. Physic is an a.......

Can't agree because the measurement of 3 different magazines are telling a different story.
-3dB@60Hz and -6dB@51Hz. That isn't very deep for a speaker of this size with 4 18cm drivers but you can't achieve high sensitivity and deep bass. Physic is an a.......

Interesting, I don’t recall reading any reviews on the mrk1 version with those sort of numbers. Mine play flat to right ~30hz in my room, -3db in the upper 20’s.

advertisement

Back