advertisement

Audio Note speakers

Sorry Tetreb but we didn't have a camera between us and steve didn't make it so no oto to review.

had a good time though - thanks to Bob and Andy for coming over

cheers
darren

Just like to add that it was a most enjoyable few hours. I got to listen to my Snell J's on the end of Darrens very nice valve rig (Leben pre/Airtight 300b power) which made some nice sounds even though the Snells were not ideally placed.
Stars of the show for me were Darrens Audionote E's they sounded great, very natural and unfatiguing, could have listened to them all day long, a perfect match for his amps.
Bob brought along a older pair of Snell E/111, again these were not positioned in an ideal position although they went deeper and were fuller sounding I thought they sounded slightly ponderous compared to the J's but this could have been down to positioning and the size of Darrens room, still a decent sound but overall the Audionotes were my fav.
I think I need to start saving for a good valve power amp

I am the owner of a pair of Snell E/11s and these replaced J/11s. The Es had the same sort of sound but were just a bit better all round (I auditioned them side by side). Ive had them reconed by a skilled amateur (to such effect that Bottleneck, when he came round to listen was under the impression for some time that they were ANEs which he had previously owned - see above).
Mine are in a corner sat on Pirate stands which I filled with sand and shot in proportions recommended by Definitive Audio Brighton (Elm Grove).
They are currently driven by a WAD valve amp (KT88s) but were very happy with 12w of an Edison 12 or the VRR I still own.
Im in Bracknell if any member cares for a listen..(and I could be tempted to part with them as I need the cash for a HIFI PA project..)
Jack

Jack has a nice pair of speakers, works well in a British sized living room with a great sound.
Partner with a nice valve amp and away you go.

A pair of used E's and a used valve amp - I'd struggle to beat the setup for the money.

Im in Bracknell if any member cares for a listen..(and I could be tempted to part with them as I need the cash for a HIFI PA project..)Jack
Hi Jack,

I would be interested in the speakers, should you decide to sell them.

Igor,
Too-much-smoking-man :)

I will be in London from 23. December till 3. January. Is there a shop with Audio Note equipment open at this time of year? I would like to audition some speakers and possibly return to Germany a lot happier and poorer.

Hi, just noticed your post. Not sure re opening times, best to call but Deco audio are about an hour outside London on the train from Marylebone station. Directions on website.
http://www.decoaudio.com/
They have on demo IIRC Audionote AX1 AX2 AN-J AN-E

tetreb - I'll pm you with pics of my Snell K's as soon as I get home! puresound - do you know much about what changes occur when Snell's paper drivers are re-foamed. I did the re-foaming on my Snell K's and before I did this I tried to find out what differences I would hear from the original.

Allan

advertisement

Back