advertisement

Honestly I couldn’t care less about technical performance. I just need to experience an enjoyable listen. That’s how I shop for gear.

My Audio Note DAC 2 has pretty much comprehensively bettered the Chord Hugo, Hugo 2, qutest, schitt Gumby and yggy, Ayre DAC to name a few. I’m sure all these other DACs technically outperform the DAC 2 but on a long term home listen it’s an easy winner for me.

thank you the_bat. What is the rest of your setup please?

It's OK - I've been patronised by masters of the craft so skilled you don't even realise it's happened till days later. That was a blunt and feeble attempt in comparison.

You're probably right. I often read Keith's post (essentially there is only one) and think 'blunt.'

Happens all the time.

So, you seem to suggest that

1. Threads like this should turn out to be what you expected.
2. Only those agreeing with AN's philosophy are qualified to comment

Surely you've heard of echo chambers?

No but I was asking for experienced feedback. I just don’t understand why the measurement brigade came along. They didn’t address the point of the thread, just used it as a platform to dish out their personal views. Very annoying.

your comment about eco chamber shows me I probably won’t be interested in anything you have to write anyway.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the 70’s when amps were bought on their specs alone - vanishingly low distortion figures. I bought one myself sounding clean and clinical. Was later that I discovered they weren’t musical at all.

My Audio Note DAC 2 has pretty much comprehensively bettered the Chord Hugo, Hugo 2, qutest, schitt Gumby and yggy, Ayre DAC to name a few. I’m sure all these other DACs technically outperform the DAC 2 but on a long term home listen it’s an easy winner for me
Be careful. Some of the dacs in that list will send measurementalists into a frenzy.

It does appears that equipment has to be really poorly designed before it can :- convey emotion, sound musical, chewy midrange, tonal density etc etc,
Keith

It does appears that equipment has to be really poorly designed before it can :- convey emotion, sound musical, chewy midrange, tonal density etc etc,
Keith

It does appear that some who post on here don't have a clue about audio, or what makes a good sound, but are happy to post and quote other peoples measurements as the "be all and end all..."

Thankfully people have ears so they can make up their own minds...

Keith

It's interesting actually, how does sound convey emotion? Sack's Musicophilia is a good place to start. This has got me thinking about an Audio Note Dac now, the DAC2 isn't crazy money secondhand.

It does appear that some who post on here don't have a clue about audio, or what makes a good sound, but are happy to post and quote other peoples measurements as the "be all and end all..."

Thankfully people have ears so they can make up their own minds...

The vocal minority defending NOS Redbook playback or digital sources with valve analogue stages is but a small minority. The remaining majority must be deaf...

The vocal minority defending NOS Redbook playback or digital sources with valve analogue stages is but a small minority. The remaining majority must be deaf...
Sometimes I really do believe that. But then I think perhaps the other listening environment/equipment was/were off

Sometimes I really do believe that. But then I think perhaps the other listening environment/equipment was/were off

Audiophiles are mostly driven by taste and people like what they like.
I can claim that NOS is technically worse than OS and filterless worse than filtered because I have measurements to prove it, but I cannot ignore or deny someone's preference for one or the other nor tag it as wrong.

Audiophiles are mostly driven by taste and people like what they like.
I can claim that NOS is technically worse than OS and filterless worse than filtered because I have measurements to prove it, but I cannot ignore or deny someone's preference for one or the other nor tag it as wrong.

Much like high-performance cars today, technically their specs are superior to cars made just a few years ago, but when you drive them it's a very different story. Nine times out of ten the older models are more fun and engaging to drive. I suggest that if oversampling is your "thing" you let others make up their own mind which tech (NOS or OS) they prefer. I am sure once they have heard the difference they will know which one to buy...

Keith

[Chuckles] A therapist would have a field-day with this. Ever heard of the medical slang, MPP - a Mortgage-Paying Patient?

What's curious about this deep-seated fear is how it manifests on forums almost always in one direction: objectivists policing subjectivists. Subjectivists rarely seem to have trouble with others liking what they like. Hence the moniker, I guess.

I just referred back to the audioscience forum and someone is reporting this about Audio Note (read below) !! Anyone else know about this?

Audio Note UK is evil for so many reasons. The guy who created the company did it off the success and hard work of a Japanese man who originally created Audio Note. He was originally just a distributor for him and because he was so far away and little oversight was given to his process, he managed to establish a successful operation. All based on the hard work or another person. The man is a thief.

Did I mention he (among many they companies nowadays) has moved labour to east Europe to take advantage of and exploit the extremely cheap labour market? It’s cheaper to manufacture goods in countries like Poland then China... hence all the audiophile companies that have done out of east Europe.

advertisement

Back