advertisement

Audio note CD2 not idiot proof!

Ok thought the white cog was the tray mech mech. To me seems that when the door hit the tray, a few teeth may have been stripped on the tray cog (where ever that may be).
This should be a very simple fix really.
It could also be as simple as the cog has being dislodged from its correct location and maybe as simple as pressing/putting it back in its correct place.

Good luck with this, I bet even used AN cdps hurt your pocket a bit. The guys here sound like they'll sort it for you though, if you're not technically minded just send it off to one of the many repair guys on here.

Right, I’ve done a bit of digging, it looks like the loading mech is a WSL-2130/V (or WSL-2130CCM), I can see a replacement tray gear available for them but you can pick the whole assembly up quite cheap. Obviously we need to properly assess the damage and make sure we’re finding the right part but it does look fairly promising.

If you can get this machine to me, it can be fixed without major expense, it’ll be a quick and simple job.

Right, I’ve done a bit of digging, it looks like the loading mech is a WSL-2130/V (or WSL-2130CCM), I can see a replacement tray gear available for them but you can pick the whole assembly up quite cheap. Obviously we need to properly assess the damage and make sure we’re finding the right part but it does look fairly promising.

If you can get this machine to me, it can be fixed without major expense, it’ll be a quick and simple job.

I don't think those part numbers will be correct (at least not the same as the original) as they appear to be for KSS-213 based assemblies. The photos of his original mech show it to have a KSS-210A so I think the part number will have a '210' in it.

I don't think those part numbers will be correct (at least not the same as the original) as they appear to be for KSS-213 based assemblies. The photos of his original mech show it to have a KSS-210A so I think the part number will have a '210' in it.
I think the actual loading mech is the same, but if you order the part I listed, it’ll likely be supplied with a KSS-213 pickup and sled mech, which you would simply remove and replace with the KSS-210 pickup and sled mech... but this is why we could do with seeing deeper into the player. Either way, we will find the right part, even if it’s from a donor machine. It’s far from an Audio Note specific part.

If you look at the actual loading mech I listed, it does look identical to the one inside the OPs machine, ignoring the optical block and sled mech.

By the way, where are you located Mike if you don’t mind my asking?

I think the actual loading mech is the same, but if you order the part I listed, it’ll likely be supplied with a KSS-213 pickup and sled mech, which you would simply remove and replace with the KSS-210 pickup and sled mech... but this is why we could do with seeing deeper into the player. Either way, we will find the right part, even if it’s from a donor machine. It’s far from an Audio Note specific part.

If you look at the actual loading mech I listed, it does look identical to the one inside the OPs machine, ignoring the optical block and sled mech.

By the way, where are you located Mike if you don’t mind my asking?

OK yes that makes perfect sense, I just didn't want you to order one expecting it to come with a KSS-210A laser.

I'm a little northwest of Sheffield S36.

Update....

Paul brought the CD2 to me this morning for me to have a look at. Here's what I found:

The reason why the tray wouldn't open/close properly is because someone had fitted a doubled-up elastic band in place of the proper belt! :rolleyes:

P1110359 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Luckily I had one 'in stock' so it was duly changed for the correct thing.
P1110360 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Paul mentioned that the player also had a tendency to skip a bit more than he thought was normal, despite it having a brand new laser, so I had a look to see what I could do about that too.

First things first, I gave the laser lens a clean.
P1110361 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

The slide rail for the laser head also got a clean and relube.

Being a Sony based mechanism the CD2 has the usual adjustments for Focus Gain, Tracking Gain, E/F balance and Focus bias.

P1110362 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

I found the focus gain to be set very high so I knocked it back a bit. I find it best to set FG and TG by ear these days (listening to the noise emitted by the pick-up not the speakers!).

I also managed to find a suitable test point for observing the RF eye-pattern so was able to adjust the focus bias for max pk-pk amplitude and best eye-pattern.
P1110363 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Ideally I would have liked to have checked the E/F balance too but I couldn't locate the correct test point for TE without a service manual.

I gave it a quick test in my main system and I can confirm that it's a nice sounding player with a smooth, rich and non-fatiguing sound.

I hope it's trouble free for you for a good while Paul.

Last edited:
Update....

Paul brought the CD2 to me this morning for me to have a look at. Here's what I found:

The reason why the tray wouldn't open/close properly is because someone had fitted a doubled-up elastic band in place of the proper belt! :rolleyes:

P1110359 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Luckily I had one 'in stock' so it was duly changed for the correct thing.
P1110360 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Paul mentioned that the player also had a tendency to skip a bit more than he thought was normal, despite it having a brand new laser, so I had a look to see what I could do about that too.

First things first, I gave the laser lens a clean.
P1110361 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

The slide rail for the laser head also got a clean and relube.

Being a Sony based mechanism the CD2 has the usual adjustments for Focus Gain, Tracking Gain, E/F balance and Focus bias.

P1110362 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

I found the focus gain to be set very high so I knocked it back a bit. I find it best to set FG and TG by ear these days (listening to the laser emitted by the pick-up not the speakers!).

I also managed to find a suitable test point for observing the RF eye-pattern so was able to adjust the focus bias for max pk-pk amplitude and best eye-pattern.
P1110363 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Ideally I would have liked to have checked the E/F balance too but I couldn't locate the correct test point for TE without a service manual.

I gave it a quick test in my main system and I can confirm that it's a nice sounding player with a smooth, rich and non-fatiguing sound.

I hope it's trouble free for you for a good while Paul.
Nice one Mike, you’ve gone above and beyond and the OP has a happy ending!

advertisement

Back