advertisement

Audio note CD2 not idiot proof!

paolo191

pfm Member
Picked up a second hand CD2 last week. Set up inside my cabinet. Left cd tray open and closed cabinet door on it . Knackered mechanism.
AN say no parts available and cannot repair.

Considering various options.

Question is can I use my Densen B410 CD player as Transport and the CD2 as a DAC?
And if so how?

Oh my gosh , no parts available ? that seems most odd ? Unless it has a digital input i can`t see how you can use it as a dac but i may be wrong

Can you post some pics and/or read any part numbers on the mechanism? I seriously doubt it’s an AN specific part and if you can find one from a cheaper donor machine, it’ll be a really easy fix.

If a manufacturer doesn’t have spares left and can’t buy new originals, they will declare your machine scrap, but that doesn’t mean you can’t find the bits and fix it.

Edit, having looked up Audio Note CD2, it looks like it may actually be based on a Denon machine from the mid/late 90s which iirc, uses a Sony mech. If so, you could buy the Denon machine it’s based on and harvest it for the loading mech, or just find the correct mech.

From the spec I can find it either has a Sony KSS-210 based mechanism or a Samsung based mechanism.

The Sony mech should certainly be very easily available, even if you have to buy a cheap donor player.

Take the lid off and post some pics.

Thanks for the replies lads very helpful
As I mentioned the guy at AN said Sony had asked to purchase any spares they had in stock so that stacks up that it’s a Sony part
The title of my post includes the word idiot- in relation to Electronics this is very accurate.
First of all how easy is it for me to remove the cover? Alternatively who could I take it to for repair?
Preferably in Lancashire Grt Manchester area

Thanks for the replies lads very helpful
As I mentioned the guy at AN said Sony had asked to purchase any spares they had in stock so that stacks up that it’s a Sony part
The title of my post includes the word idiot- in relation to Electronics this is very accurate.
First of all how easy is it for me to remove the cover? Alternatively who could I take it to for repair?
Preferably in Lancashire Grt Manchester area
I have friends who live near Knutsford, a few minutes from The Mere hotel, I could ask if it’s okay to get it dropped there and then I’ll collect it from them when I see them, or if you’re heading towards the Midlands, you’re welcome to pop by with it. I am pretty busy at the moment but if I can identify the loading mech and find one, it’s really only a 15-20 minute job to replace it. Do at least try and post a photo of the player itself, there’s more than on version of the CD2 so it does help to know which one we’re dealing with. Between us here at PFM, we’ll get it sorted.

I have friends who live near Knutsford, a few minutes from The Mere hotel, I could ask if it’s okay to get it dropped there and then I’ll collect it from them when I see them, or if you’re heading towards the Midlands, you’re welcome to pop by with it. I am pretty busy at the moment but if I can identify the loading mech and find one, it’s really only a 15-20 minute job to replace it. Do at least try and post a photo of the player itself, there’s more than on version of the CD2 so it does help to know which one we’re dealing with. Between us here at PFM, we’ll get it sorted.

That’s a very kind offer thank you
I’ll have a look at removing the case tomorrow morning
Anything I need to know?

That’s a very kind offer thank you
I’ll have a look at removing the case tomorrow morning
Anything I need to know?
Just look for any obvious screws securing the top cover, remove them and try and slide the cover off. Look for any labels on the plastic loading mech and take pictures. Has anything obviously snapped? It might be just that the tray has come out of its tracks and can be put back, there’s a lot of give in Sony’s plastic loading mechs, it’s pretty hard to actually break them.

Ok I’ve removed the cover without any dramas.
My observations -
I cannot see any obvious damage - no broken bits of plastic. It’s possible to open and close the tray manually. The belt looks a bit twisted? Cannot see any make or part number other than on the laser unit.
Photos to follow

Is there any friction when opening and closing the draw manually and can you see the white cog spinning when you do ?

The white cog - approx 30mm diameter towards back - does not move
The manual opening and closing is reasonably smooth -obviously some resistance as it travels along teeth

The white cog has nothing to do with opening the tray, it's the gear mechanism for moving the laser head.

When I press the open/close switch the “laser housing” drops and the cd tray advances forward but only about 1cm

advertisement

Back