advertisement

Audio Note AN-E query

midband

pfm Member
Having wedded myself to 8watts of SET I'm looking at speakers with an efficiency of at least 94db.
One such is the AN-E. However the recommended placement is very close to the wall something which is not possible in my domestic arrangement! How well would they perform if placed so that front baffle is 6ft into the room size 12.5ft x 17.5ft (3.8m x 5.3m)approx?

Doubt they would work that far out I have heard them about a foot out from the back wall and they sounded fine, better than the recommended corner positioning imho.

They really need to be in the corners in my experience and sound very odd brought out into the room.

You'd lose a lot of bass response.
It's not ideal to say the least.

To be honest, I had 7w SET monoblocks for years and ran speakers from 87 -94 Db quite ell. Don't be too blinkered until you've had a home audition?

Many thanks all, advice taken.
Current speakers ART Emotion 90db but I suspect there might be fair variation of impedance over the audio band hence my interest in the AN-E.

The corner placement isn't always true it just boosts the bass, I would say your room is too small for E's and you are going to have bass problems no matter where you place them. You would be much better going with J's

I have a 12ft x 16ft room and originally had E's but even about 3ft out of the corner the bass was still booming, I then replaced them with J's

8 Watts of SET is probably too little for LV's (I also have a 8Watt 300b SET and had LV OBX)

Untitled by The Biglebowski, on Flickr

IMG_0627 by The Biglebowski, on Flickr

IMG_0604 by The Biglebowski, on Flickr

If the bass is 'boomy' probably is just standing waves , discover the problem frequencies and either treat passively, or with just a touch of EQ.
Keith

If the bass is 'boomy' probably is just standing waves , discover the problem frequencies and either treat passively, or with just a touch of EQ.
Keith

Possibly as the E's do go lower than the J's and LV's but I don't want to stick an ADC>DAC in the system and I have no intention of faffing about with acoustic panels etc.

The tune audio primes I have now are by far the best speaker I've owned and have probably the tightest bass of any I've heard.

I understand even Jriver has a PEQ, small MiniDSP processor ,set it up and it just sits in your chain.
Low bass is difficult to treat passively ,the commonly available 2" panels are only effective above a few hundred Hz.
Keith

I swapped out my J's for Heco Direkts. ( Running on an Oto Se)

I couldn't get them in the corners anymore and struggled to get the bass from my previous room. E's go lower so may not be such an issue.

Different presentation but I'm very pleased with them. Welcome to have a listen if you are anywhere near my neck of the woods ( Just south of St Albans)

3rd vote for the Heco's. Heard them in three different systems now and they are very lovely sounding. If you like AN E's then they are a bit cleaner sounding, but also open and detailed. Hugely sensitive too so your amp will be fine.

I use E's in pretty much the same size room, with no sign of bass boom, and they are in the comers.

advertisement

Back