advertisement

Audio Innovations Valve amps

The 800 Mk2 was an attempt to make a zero feedback pentode amp that PQ insisted on trying. It had ludicrously high input sensitivity and minimal tolerance of varying speaker loads. It was fairly soon replaced by the more conventional Mk3 circuit.

The Mk2 did have ECC82's as the two centrally placed input valves The outer two were PCC88's. However, some Mk2's may have been returned to the factory for modification to a circuit that worked better. If one of those, yours may have a different configuration.

I do have a schematic for the Mk2 if needed.

EDIT : (schematics for both versions sent by email)

I had the S500 running in triode mode into Snell Js and then into Impulse H6s.

In a small sparsely furnished room, only the kit, records and two folding Directors chairs, the sound was magical.

Another option is to fit a Border Patrol psu, Gary Dews once demonstrated the s500 with a .5 voyd and living voice obx and the difference was startling .

AI amplifiers can be serviced by David Wright (via the Sound Practice) although any competent tech could do it given a schematic. The circuits weren't especially complicated. I have all of the schematics should anyone need one.

Hi, pure sound,
I am using L1 and AI 1000mk3 for 14years after I bought them in London and feel replacement of some parts is necessary. I would appreciate it very much if you kindly e-mail me schematics for both amplifiers. Thanks.

Can do. PM me with your email address & I'll send them. Which parts do you feel might need changing?

Per. It was always difficult to get the MC transformers satisfactorily quiet inside the P2. As you'll know there are some substantial wound components in that case. I used to recommend that customers bought the stand alone T2 transformer if they could. I do have a wiring diagram if you ever do want to build them into an external case. They are very good transformers, it might be worth doing.

As an update is there any way you can change the cartridge loading on these over & above the 2 standard settings to say 1K?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The sreies300 was indeed slated for its lab readouts a little shop of horrors comes to mind. I owned one of these for a year and found it to be delightful if a little ragged. The series 500 which i replaced it with was a great amp and very little trouble indeed it would make a grea used buy provided you partner it with efficient speakers. you will need it serviced probably wit new valves and switches these are notorious for going US but they are only cheap best of luck finding one but remember some of the parts are hard to find.

No, you'd need a 1:7 (approx) ratio transformer loaded by the 47K to show 1K to the cartridge. Maybe some of those Partridge 1:6 items that are often on ebay would do.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Moving-Coil-S...14&_trkparms=72:1690|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

The T2 was (I think) 1:24 or 1:48 so a much higher ratio and therefore a much lower impedance (80 or 20 ohms) iirc

Thanks for that, perhaps I should've bought a Marthas dad step-up? In theory my cart does not need that load, suggests 100ohm or greater & certainly sounds better at 80ohm

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Pure Sound
Is it possible to fit an active bias module in the AI 1000 Mk III? does that resolve the known valve failure problems?

The HT supply in the S1000/III was around 370v which included around 27v of cathode bias iirc. They weren't being run at maximum dissipation. The valve failure issues usually occurred when Chinese made EL34's were used. The Sovtek (Russian) EL34's were generally more reliable & robust.

The amplifiers 'could' be converted to fixed bias, but it would be quite involved to do it to a pair. If you have some of these amplifiers or are considering whether to buy some, I'd recommend you use them as is but with Sovtek or EH EL34's although some people do use the 'tough as old boots' Russian 5881's in them too.

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Series 300 Mk1 and am very happy with it. Can anyone give me guidance on replacement valves/brands to improve the sound? Also, can the MC stage handle low output MC's, I would quite like to get a Dynavector 17D3.

Thanks for any help

I think you will better off getting a good SUT , maybe a 2nd hand series 800 or 1000 if you can find one , Puresound make a good one also.

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Series 300 Mk1 and am very happy with it. Can anyone give me guidance on replacement valves/brands to improve the sound? Also, can the MC stage handle low output MC's, I would quite like to get a Dynavector 17D3.

Thanks for any help

I'm wary of making blanket recommendations to purchase NOS valves as there are some duds amongst the good stuff. You have to ask yourself why a valve or batch of valves wasn't sold or used the first time around.

If you can find matched pairs of Mullard ECL86's those are certainly very good. There are also plenty of different NOS ECC83's that people seem to like although it may also worth investigating the new production ones from TechTube. Not cheap but then neither are old Mullard, Siemens or Telefunken.
Alternatively, take advice on the better new production 83's from someone like Peter Cruh at Edicron 01367 243030

It doesn't have an MC stage as such, just the facility to present a lower resistance (15K) to high output MC's.

Cost effective step up transformers might include the TdP designed Black Head II which is still only £137 from Cool Gales or Noteworthy's StepNote.

Hi all , Can you tell me how to identification MK1 or MK2 ?

I just brought a used AI series 10W Class A amp.

Hi Pure Sound,

I just brought a used AI series 300 amp.
Do you know how identification mk1 or mk2 ?
The right channel has hum but left so quiet. Is it normal ?

The L2 and L1 shared pretty much the same audio circuit with switchable feedback around the stage to offer higher & lower gain. The L2 had Jensen PIO coupling caps and also had a buffered (another ECC82) tape output. The L2 also had the shunt regulated power supply used in the P2 but without the valve rectifier & chokes. That does need to be set up to dump the right amount of current down each leg. It may need a tech to do it if the valves involved are tired and need changing.

QUOTE]

hi be careful of what you read and who by, in the nicest way, some people don' t have a clue, some know a little, some know a lot, some all, I know a lot, but not quite all. above is nearly all right.

just cos they write is no indication of experience, and correctness even on the web, or in books.

the gain is swithced simply by a passive resistor cutting network, I think on the input of the stage.

its not via feedback at all. its been ages but I owned one and know them pretty much backwards, most of them.

l1 and 2 are the same circuit, l2 has a regulated shunt valve psu that you can turn into an l1 simply by removing the regulator tubes selectively, can't again recall which as its been SOOOO long since I pulled valve stuff apart.

pros, can tighten sound up which I found,

cons, adds lots of tube noise. many others.

what matters is simply if it works well in system, sounds good to you, and is ez maintenance.

Audio Innovations made a number of different amplifiers between 1984 and 1996. The company started near Basingstoke, moved to Brighton and eventually down to Weymouth before the brand was bought by Richer Sounds.

The first products were the 800 power amp (25W class A based on EL34's in push/pull) an a matching small pre-amp which could either be powered from the power amp or be run from a separate psu.

These were followed by the Series 500 integrated, again 25W class A with a phono stage, and the 300 integrated which was 10W in class A using ECL86's.

The Series 1000 Pre, an SRPP circuit based on ECC83's and 6SN7's with a pretty elaborate regulated power supply & passive line inputs and the 50W 1000 mono's soon followed.

Although a few French self builders were following an underground Japanese trend for amplifiers using Directly Heated triodes, Audio Innovations were the first company (in modern times) to commercially manufacture/market DHT power amps when they launched the 6B4G equipped First Audio (7.5W) and Second Audio amplifiers (15W). At that time, in 1987, it was unheard of to be trying to sell amplifiers with such low power output but both models received good critical acclaim often being partnered with the Snell range of loudspeakers the company were also distributing.

A new range of amplifiers in a new chassis followed. The 400 integrated and 200 Power amp were based on EL84's, the 200 Pre was another phono equipped design with passive line inputs. In the same style of casework, 2 line stages L1 and L2 and 2 phono stages P1 and P2 were also released.

The 800 power amp circuit continued to evolve and was also used in 2 line integrated designs, the 700 and Classic 25 kit amplifier.

Finally the company released the Alto, a radical looking transistor amp loosely based on the single rail, output capacitor coupled topology pioneered by the likes of Wharfedale, Sugden and John Linsley Hood 10-20 years earlier. It was accompanied by a matching CD Player with a DAC designed by John Westlake of Pink Triangle/early Cambridge Audio fame.

The models to particularly look out for would include the 300 mk1, the 500, 700, 200 Mk2 power, 800 Mk1 and Mk3 power, First & Second Audio, L1, P1, P2 (preferably unmodified), Classic 25, 1000 Mk3 and the early, UK made Alto amplifier. Also any of the MC step up transformers.

The AI EL34 based amplifiers suffered the same kind of valve failure issues as any other design that runs these valves in Class A. Eventually they were only supplied with the Sovtek EL34's installed as these were found to be the most robust type. (they also sounded good) However many AI amplifiers have subsequently been converted to run using Russian 5881 valves and these generally then prove to be very reliable.

AI amplifiers can be serviced by David Wright (via the Sound Practice) although any competent tech could do it given a schematic. The circuits weren't especially complicated. I have all of the schematics should anyone need one.

Can you remember the name of the guy that designed the original amps and owned the company? I think I used to know the fellow and can picture him, but I'm damned if I can remember his name. Wasn't it Chris something?

edit: I'm sure he used to do repairs for Salisbury Hi Fi and I used to bump into him socially quite a bit.

advertisement

Back