advertisement

Audio Description enabled on Amazon Prime - cannot switch it off!

Andrew C!

Been around a while....
Watched 'The Town' last night via Netflix.

As an aside, I unwittingly enabled audio description on Amazon Prime on my Android Sony Bravia. Could I turn it off? Could I heck-as-like...

If i cannot switch it off, I'll seriously consider terminating my subscription (I spent an hour looking for fixes, with no success)....

Anyone else experienced this? There is plenty of traffic on the web about it.

I inadvertently enabled audio description the other day, but can't remember whether it was on Prime, or Netflix, via my Amazon Fire stick. I think it was Netflix though, and in my case is was because I access it via a family subscription and the audio defaults to 5.1, so I have to manually change it to 2-channel every time. This time, I scrolled to the wrong option, and got audio description. It was easy to undo, though. Just went to the left hand menu options below the Home tab, select audio (or something, not in it at the mo' so can't confirm what the tab is called, but it's where you find the audio and language settings) and scroll down to either un-check the audio description option, or re-check the audio format you use. It's in Netflix itself, not in the device OS settings.

Hope this works for you.

I did this once and can’t remember how! IIRC its an ‘Amazon Prime’ setting, not a device setting, so if you can’t figure it out on the awful TV app interface then leaving the app mid-film and continuing to watch it on an iPad or whatever will likely give better access to the tools to turn it off. Then once its turned off it is turned off and will be that way on the TV too. By saying that it is a couple of years ago and I may be misremembering this. I remember finding it a PITA to turn off anyway and I don’t think I managed it with a clunky TV remote.

The RNIB site says this

Viewers can turn audio description on or off:
  1. Start playback of a movie or TV show with Audio Descriptions available.
  2. Select the Audio Languages option in your playback controls.
  3. Select the audio track with the [Audio Description] tag or the desired audio language without the tag.
*edit

Sorry, just saw the prior link said this. If it's any consolation I find many settings menus hateful too. After months of occasional trying just last week I managed to unfavourite a YouTube video that one of the kids had marked thus.

I noticed the other night that I was unable to turn off subtitles. It was fine the next day, I wonder if it was due to it being in the early hours of the morning?

I find the menus on TVs can be confusing. I kept losing the sound when trying to watch Star Trek Picard on Prime. Other Prime programmes had no problems. After 20 minutes of trial and error the answer was to change a setting from Auto to Manual. Hardly logical!

How Joe or Joanne public was supposed to solve this I don't know, Google was no help in this case.

One part of the problem is the way the menus are often context sensitive, depending on what you are doing there are different menu options.

advertisement

Back