advertisement

audio cable

kota

pfm Member
I've got an iFi Nano Black Level dac and I use its line level out into my Naim 72 cd input. It's connected via usb to my Windows 10 laptop which is placed on the coffee table in front of the sofa. It works for me for background low volume music.

At the moment I'm running a cheap 3 meter 3.5mm/DIN cable but I will be needing a longer one due to some house arrangements I have to do so what kind of cable do you recommend bearing in mind it will have to be at least 5 meter long but still on the cheap side?

TIA

Flashback (I think that's the name....) made good, no-nonsense, well-made cables of all kinds. They should make to order. I've got some for my Naim setup and they work fine. But then I don't much believe in cable magic, so others may have other opinions.

At 5m cable loss and capacitance is unlikely to be an issue.
Ground loops and RF pickup are more likely.
A good shield helps the former and some clip on ferrite cores the latter

Poor connections are also a source of problems. I recently had some mains / rectifier hum thru my speakers from a CD player that 'scoped exactly the same residual noise as another machine that produce barely any hum. Traced it to poor RCA connectors on an old cheap RCA lead. Replaced the RCAs for new better quality ones (the shielded wire was fine) and hey-presto, hum all but gone.

Poor connections are also a source of problems. I recently had some mains / rectifier hum thru my speakers from a CD player that 'scoped exactly the same residual noise as another machine that produce barely any hum. Traced it to poor RCA connectors on an old cheap RCA lead. Replaced the RCAs for new better quality ones (the shielded wire was fine) and hey-presto, hum all but gone.

same experience here. It might go some way to explaining why new (more expensive) cables will/can sound better. Nowt to do with electrons, more about cable/connectors which are fit/ter for purpose.

same experience here. It might go some way to explaining why new (more expensive) cables will/can sound better. Nowt to do with electrons, more about cable/connectors which are fit/ter for purpose.

Or even the fact that disconnecting the old cable and replacing it with the new cleans up the connectors...

advertisement

Back