1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

audio cable

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by kota, Nov 8, 2019.

1. kota

kota pfm Member

I've got an iFi Nano Black Level dac and I use its line level out into my Naim 72 cd input. It's connected via usb to my Windows 10 laptop which is placed on the coffee table in front of the sofa. It works for me for background low volume music.

At the moment I'm running a cheap 3 meter 3.5mm/DIN cable but I will be needing a longer one due to some house arrangements I have to do so what kind of cable do you recommend bearing in mind it will have to be at least 5 meter long but still on the cheap side?

TIA

2. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Flashback (I think that's the name....) made good, no-nonsense, well-made cables of all kinds. They should make to order. I've got some for my Naim setup and they work fine. But then I don't much believe in cable magic, so others may have other opinions.

Gervais Cote likes this.
  3. coltrane

coltrane electrobaroCKjazzer

well, 5m seems to be quite long... are you sure the 72'll be able to cope with it...?

4. GruntPuppy

GruntPuppy Well-Known Member

Take a look at Aithrios - I'm getting them to make me a full system of cables.

5. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

Flashback Sales cable are the best value for money IMO.

6. kota

kota pfm Member

OK. Thanks guys.

7. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

At 5m cable loss and capacitance is unlikely to be an issue.
    Ground loops and RF pickup are more likely.
    A good shield helps the former and some clip on ferrite cores the latter

Julf likes this.
  8. a.palfreyman

a.palfreyman pfm Member

Poor connections are also a source of problems. I recently had some mains / rectifier hum thru my speakers from a CD player that 'scoped exactly the same residual noise as another machine that produce barely any hum. Traced it to poor RCA connectors on an old cheap RCA lead. Replaced the RCAs for new better quality ones (the shielded wire was fine) and hey-presto, hum all but gone.

9. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

The RCA is an abysmal connector. Signal connects first, poor shield connection.
    No wonder Naim and Quad used to use DIN

Millennium likes this.
  10. Helen Bach

Helen Bach if it ain't Baroque ...

same experience here. It might go some way to explaining why new (more expensive) cables will/can sound better. Nowt to do with electrons, more about cable/connectors which are fit/ter for purpose.

11. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

Or even the fact that disconnecting the old cable and replacing it with the new cleans up the connectors...