advertisement

Attenuated Interconnects

PhilDick

pfm Member
For a while now I've had an attenuated interconnect between my CD (Marantz) and pre (NAC82).

I recently acquired a Behringer Ultramatch pro (for buttons) to use as a DAC/toy. Got this set up (CD optical out to DAC) and wow it sounded great, so much better than the analog out on the CD.

Then I got to thinking it cannot be that much better can it? Thoughts turned to the attenuated cable, which I replaced with a normal one and viola DAC and analog outs sound about same.

So in summary if you have one of these attenuated cables pull it out, put in a normal one and give it a try.

For a while now I've had an attenuated interconnect between my CD (Marantz) and pre (NAC82).

I recently acquired a Behringer Ultramatch pro (for buttons) to use as a DAC/toy. Got this set up (CD optical out to DAC) and wow it sounded great, so much better than the analog out on the CD.

Then I got to thinking it cannot be that much better can it? Thoughts turned to the attenuated cable, which I replaced with a normal one and viola DAC and analog outs sound about same.

So in summary if you have one of these attenuated cables pull it out, put in a normal one and give it a try.
level matched?

Attenuated interconnects HAVE to be designed to suit the source and load impedances. . There is only a narrow window of resistance that won't spoil either bass or treble

IME it's better not to put extra attenuating networks in the signal path.

For example my DAC has level calibration pots that are situated before the output stage, and my actives have variable input sensitivity.
1. The manufacturers say output and input impedance (respectively) aren't affected. Good sign.
2. These adjustments change values in networks already in the signal path, they don't add new networks.

Attenuators are essential if you have a preamp with solid state switching with +/-5V power supplies and an audiophile CD player with way more than 2V output level.

advertisement

Back