advertisement

ATC40 Actives on home dem

You are work of art. It was you who decided to interject in a statement about the total cost of ownership of Naim some shite about how an Audiolab was much better value and then you get all butt hurt when I say that IN MY OPINION it was a poor sounding amp, but we all like different things so I'm glad you are happy with it... I am taking my own advice, 100%!
Hi,
I offered an alternative such as Audiolab to you raising Naim in an ATC thread.

Why is it ok for you to denigrate other brands, and no one is allowed to offer their opinion on Naim ?

Regards,
Shadders.

Not really as if they work the sale of 4 135s, 1 Supercap, 1 SNAXO all serviced in 2019 and a pair of SL2s in immaculate condition will leave me in net profit and if not I still have the Naim gear. It's a win win to be honest.
Doomed, richer, and with more music. Tough choice!

Hi,
I offered an alternative such as Audiolab to you raising Naim in an ATC thread.

Why is it ok for you to denigrate other brands, and no one is allowed to offer their opinion on Naim ?

Regards,
Shadders.

No you didn't, you posted your 'alternative' to say that the Naims are poor value for money. You also (stupidly) referred to Naim as a fashion brand... it is nothing of the sort as well you know. The thread is about a Naim owner moving to ATC, I might do the same. That is why Naim is being discussed in an 'ATC thread' (sic). Audiolab 8000As have nothing whatsoever to do with the conversation and are not comparable to ATC or Naim speakers or Naim power amps.

An allegory to your contribution is thus:

A Ferrari owner and a Porsche owner are discussing the cost of ownership when a third party pops up and says that because they have owned a Vauxhall Corsa for 15 years and it only cost them £4K to buy the Ferrari and Porsche owners are idiots as the Corsa is far better value for money. Clearly while the better value for money claim is true in purely monetary terms combined with viewing a car as a method of getting from A to B the Ferrari and the Porsche owners would not have got the same level of enjoyment out of said Corsa whereas the Corsa owner's frame of reference might be such that the Porsche or Ferrari might have been no better for their requirements. None of which makes the Porsche or Ferrari drivers/owners idiots and the comparison is clearly flawed.

Now perhaps stop trying to be clever and leave the thread to the discussion of ATC replacing Naim equipment as the OP originally intended.

Doomed, richer, and with more music. Tough choice!

Aye, you never know. Less boxes is a massive draw too. I am renovating my country property and that is where the system will go... want to keep it relatively minimalistic (relatively being an important term here) hence the attraction of losing 6 boxes.

Guys, apologies. It was me who brought up the cost of Tiggers system servicing.
Never meant to spark a battle between different brand loyalties!
Maybe I’m getting old, but more & more I’m just thinking hey, if you love what a particular brand does, then that’s all that matters. If you’re foots tapping & there’s s a smile on your face, I don’t care if its Audiolab, Naim, musical fidelity or anything else.
The active 135/SL2’s vs the active ATC’s will be an interesting comparison & I'm guessing I’m not the only one who will be interested in your views.

To the OP - a great thread and a very interesting read of your experiences. Can you also let us know what your thoughts are when you connect the SBLs back up (if you intend to do that prior to the arrival of the ATCs). I think when my new listening room is ready I will take a leaf out of your book and get a home dem of the ATCs ... it's going to take something special to remove the SL2s though.
I still have the demo pair, hoping I can keep hold of the until new pair arrive but no biggie if not.

A home demo is always recommended with such a radical change. I would expect you to be initially a little underwhelmed as they are pretty neutral compared to the SBLs which are fast & lean. I've listened to a lot more music than normal over the last few weeks, they just have ultimate control & poise.

I still have the demo pair, hoping I can keep hold of the until new pair arrive but no biggie if not.

A home demo is always recommended with such a radical change. I would expect you to be initially a little underwhelmed as they are pretty neutral compared to the SBLs which are fast & lean. I've listened to a lot more music than normal over the last few weeks, they just have ultimate control & poise.

Cheers, your posts have been very illuminating. I won't have my new place ready for another 12 months, but think I will do the same as you when I do and get that home dem.

Guys, apologies. It was me who brought up the cost of Tiggers system servicing.
Never meant to spark a battle between different brand loyalties!
Maybe I’m getting old, but more & more I’m just thinking hey, if you love what a particular brand does, then that’s all that matters. If you’re foots tapping & there’s s a smile on your face, I don’t care if its Audiolab, Naim, musical fidelity or anything else.
The active 135/SL2’s vs the active ATC’s will be an interesting comparison & I'm guessing I’m not the only one who will be interested in your views.

Don't worry about it, not your fault. I will post a thread when I eventually do it and yes totally agree that if you love something that's all that matters.

No you didn't, you posted your 'alternative' to say that the Naims are poor value for money. You also (stupidly) referred to Naim as a fashion brand... it is nothing of the sort as well you know. The thread is about a Naim owner moving to ATC, I might do the same. That is why Naim is being discussed in an 'ATC thread' (sic). Audiolab 8000As have nothing whatsoever to do with the conversation and are not comparable to ATC or Naim speakers or Naim power amps.
Hi,
Point taken on the Naim being discussed from the start of the thread, yet, this is a forum, and you raised the issue of cost of ownership etc., so i responded with the Audiolab example. From here you denigrated Audiolab, and made the false accusation that i had made many negative statements about Naim.

The Naim systems are not comparable to a Ferrari. They use the same components as any other brand - all commercial off the shelf.

Regards,
Shadders.

Hi,
Point taken on the Naim being discussed from the start of the thread, yet, this is a forum, and you raised the issue of cost of ownership etc., so i responded with the Audiolab example. From here you denigrated Audiolab, and made the false accusation that i had made many negative statements about Naim.

The Naim systems are not comparable to a Ferrari. They use the same components as any other brand - all commercial off the shelf.

Regards,
Shadders.

Jeez.. whatever!

Well done on the 40A. I am running them with 252 (and NDS) myself.

I got the 555PS recapped and DR and the SC2 / 252 fully recapped all in the last 3m. My goodness the 252 service was the last piece of the puzzle, what was already very good - has honestly gone to off the chart’s good. Not sure how old your 252 / SC is, but if due a service, it really does open up the 40A window even more.

So much so, I am looking to the 50A already........

Enjoy !
I reckon my 252 & xps2 will need a service in the next couple of years or so. I may have a listen to an ATC pre in the next year, I want to be sure I am staying in the naim camp before I stump up for servicing. DR, not given it much thought but is an option

Aye, you never know. Less boxes is a massive draw too. I am renovating my country property and that is where the system will go... want to keep it relatively minimalistic (relatively being an important term here) hence the attraction of losing 6 boxes.
Absolutely. Plus you don’t have to pay an arm and a leg for speaker cables, decent balanced cables are fine, don’t cost much, can be run long lengths, and are easy to run, so you have fewer constraints on positioning your equipment.

Absolutely. Plus you don’t have to pay an arm and a leg for speaker cables, decent balanced cables are fine, don’t cost much, can be run long lengths, and are easy to run, so you have fewer constraints on positioning your equipment.

That's an extremely good point as in the new room I want to have the space between the speakers empty other than a TV and centre speaker (for movie duties) and have the audio gear off to one side some distance from the speakers.

That's an extremely good point as in the new room I want to have the space between the speakers empty other than a TV and centre speaker (for movie duties) and have the audio gear off to one side some distance from the speakers.

That's pretty much how I had things configured at my old place. Equipment rack against left wall more or less in line with listening position for convenience, speakers 2.5m into room with nothing between them other than absorption panels on wall, preamp to speakers running under floor from equipment rack to middle of wall behind speakers. Made for a tidy installation.

Last edited:
That's pretty much how I had things configured at my old place. Equipment rack against left wall more or less in line with listening position for convenience, speakers 2.5m into room with nothing between them other than absorption panels and on wall, preamp to speakers running under floor from equipment rack to middle of wall behind speakers. Made for a tidy installation.

Definitely part of the attraction I must say, much as I love my Naim gear the proliferation of boxes and cables is a bit crazy.

.. and as the multitude of big boxes of electronics disappear from your living space you no longer need that huge equipment rack, or the multi-way mains block behind it ... it all gets so simple.

.. and as the multitude of big boxes of electronics disappear from your living space you no longer need that huge equipment rack, or the multi-way mains block behind it ... it all gets so simple.
Agreed. Modern technology can provide a tiny system that doesn't dominate the room and also sounds fantastic.

Wonder if anyone who has had these speakers has had their room measured, or uses room correction with them?

Interested in views where users accept the compromises, or if the room speaker interaction is fine for the user etc?

I tried speakers in my room before the SL2, and the room would not cope with prodigious bass unless the speakers were I place in unacceptable places aesthetically. Clearly post SL2 options were much better, including much better room correction and eq. ATC were not an option form me due to waf.

I use room correction with passive 40s. I use it to flatten a couple of horrible bass resonance peaks in the room, plus provide an overall downward-sloping response, which suits my taste. I don't think I could live without room correction now. Once you notice a bass note that resonates, I've found it hard to ignore.

I use some GIK panels at the reflection points & a small amount of bass trapping.
Also as I use Roon, there are some EQ facilities to play with as well.
Having played around with Dirac in other systems, I do find that it sometimes cures one issue, but creates another. Mainly it can take some life out of the music unless you are very judicious with it.
Sometimes “correct sounding ” & “enjoyable sounding” aren't always the same.
Only my opinion.

advertisement

Back