advertisement

ATC/Spendor & Exposure/Nord

Paulq2

pfm Member
I am currently running a Linn front end with Exposure 3010S2 Power and Spendor S8e's. Essentially I am looking for more clarity from the Spendors or, if I can't get that, to swap them out for something a tad more revealing. Before arranging demo's I'm considering:

1 - Swapping the Exposure out to one of the Nord Hypex units. I had one of the first iteration of these some years ago and wish I had never sold it but have never heard it in combination with Spendors. Anyone experience of a similar combo?

2 - And/or, swapping the Spendors out to something like the passive ATC SCM19v2. My listening room is quite small and whilst the floorstanders are not too boomy there's probably an argument to say that something like the ATC's may be more suitable. I'd want to stay with passive as the active ATC's are best in 3-way mode. That's a shame but the SCM40a's would just be too big.

Any view/advice folks? Thanks.

My experience with Spendors is that more power dosent mean more clarity (increase in top end) but increases in soundstage and bass definition. My guess hypex will do this due to high damping factor.

Atc might be the way to go but you may find it sterile. Have you considered a modern coaxial such from kef?

Which "Linn front end" are we talking about here? Also, have you considered the Exposure 5010 power amps?

Akurate DSM (Katalyst) is the front end.

I hadn't considered the Exposure 5010 but will read up on them. I previously owned a Nord and it's mightily impressive.

Can you try the ATCs at home? Usual advice is go the active route with them, the 2-ways get great reviews.

Last edited:
Sounds like you should scratch the Hypex amp itch/question first? Especially if easy enough to try one.

I had a basic (NC252) Nord - seemed the definition of a clear amp.

T
Why not demo an active pair first? May solve all your problems

The floorstanders would just be too big as, if I am gonna buy actives, they will be 3 way as I may as well go the whole hog. For now I think the standmount passives with a suitably powerful amp should od the trick.

T

The floorstanders would just be too big as, if I am gonna buy actives, they will be 3 way as I may as well go the whole hog. For now I think the standmount passives with a suitably powerful amp should od the trick.
The footprint is roughly the same, no?

I have atc40s active at home & they are amazing, I have stopped worrying about power amps. Apparently they can go quite close to wall, the actives massively out perform the passives by all accounts & will probably work out cheaper overall? Personally I would try the two way actives but it is not my decision.

Spendors are a bit laid back... am not sure that an amp change will help massively here.

Yes they are, I'd agree, and I think that's part of the reason I am looking. They are great but just seem to take the edge of the music somehow and make it a bit lifeless. I just don't know whether that's the effect of the Exposure amp or the speakers themselves.

The footprint is roughly the same, no?

I have atc40s active at home & they are amazing, I have stopped worrying about power amps. Apparently they can go quite close to wall, the actives massively out perform the passives by all accounts & will probably work out cheaper overall? Personally I would try the two way actives but it is not my decision.

A couple of years ago I demo'd a pair of Linn Akudoriks in Exakt configuration (pre-Katalyst admittedly) and I didn't like them at all despite really wanting to. The dealer at the time stuck on a pair of SCM40a's and I was utterly blown away; to the point where I always considered owning them would be my 'end game' speaker. They were, simply, incredible.

I have since been tempted many times to grab a pair that have occasionally come up on the second hand/ex-demo market but just have the concern that my listening room is just too small (10ft x 11 ft). I'd be concerned that they'd be very overblown, particularly with the apparent consensus being that ATC's like a fair bit of volume and are not at their best for low level listening.

A couple of years ago I demo'd a pair of Linn Akudoriks in Exakt configuration (pre-Katalyst admittedly) and I didn't like them at all despite really wanting to. The dealer at the time stuck on a pair of SCM40a's and I was utterly blown away; to the point where I always considered owning them would be my 'end game' speaker. They were, simply, incredible.

I have since been tempted many times to grab a pair that have occasionally come up on the second hand/ex-demo market but just have the concern that my listening room is just too small (10ft x 11 ft). I'd be concerned that they'd be very overblown, particularly with the apparent consensus being that ATC's like a fair bit of volume and are not at their best for low level listening.
ATCs needing high volume is rubbish ime

I think that you should try the new generation of Spendor speakers - A7 or D7.2.
No laid back at all.

Personally I would give the A series a miss. They are ‘laid back’ which I enjoy. I believe it’s mainly due to Spendor’s crossover. They actually have maintained their house sound very well over the decades. The d series I have not heard so can’t comment.

I would go to a hifi dealer and demo a few then home demo

Yes they are, I'd agree, and I think that's part of the reason I am looking. They are great but just seem to take the edge of the music somehow and make it a bit lifeless. I just don't know whether that's the effect of the Exposure amp or the speakers themselves.

It’s the speakers. :p

Try some recent Amphions, 7LS or 3LS, they might give you what you want.

advertisement

Back