advertisement

ATC Speakers and Naim amps

Okay. I demo'd some ATC SCM7's last weekend at the shop; they sounded amazing on the end of a NAP 200 (? Big Naim amp).

How might they do, driven by a Nait XS2 (that I own)?

Okay. I demo'd some ATC SCM7's last weekend at the shop; they sounded amazing on the end of a NAP 200 (? Big Naim amp).

What was the preamp ?

I think the 5i is more musical and equally powerful as the xs2

I have listened to the Nait XS (not XS2) and the NAC202/NAP200 in my system. The Nait XS needs the Hicap to sound good. It will sound rather mediocre without one. When I listened to the bare Nait XS, I had the Rega Elicit with me. After a back to back comparison, I found the differences between the Nait XS and Rega Elicit to be rather minor. They sound quite similar with the Rega Elicit showing a hint of sweetness in the mids.

The NAC202/NAP200 is quite different from the Nait XS. Tangible differences. Better separation, detail and drive in the music. The Nait XS sounds warmer and more organic in comparison. If the Nait XS sounds almost similar to the XS2, chances are the SCM7 will sound more lively and dynamic with the added drive of the Naim separates.

Similarly, the Hicap DR is considered as a mandatory upgrade to the NAC202/NAP200. Of course all this will add up to the cost.

Just wanted to dispel a forum myth.

I have used ATC speakers for about 5 years now. I have tried many amps with varying degrees of success.

I currently use the Michell Alecto Monoblocks, which I am pretty happy with.

This week a friend wanted to borrow my amps, so he loaned me his Nait XS. I wasn't expecting much.

However, as long as you are not wanting to blow the windows out, this amp is very capable at driving probably the most difficult to drive passive ATC speakers - SCM 20 SL's. The midrange is particularly special and as long as the volume is not too loud, but still up around 85db easily, the bass line keeps up too.

The sound is not as 'big' as with my Alecto's, but the inner detail is very nice with perhaps the odd high becoming a little hard, again with increased volume. Of course, ATC's have you reaching for the volume knob anyway, as they provide such a clean presentation.

So, I think for the average hifi listener who likes vocal, 'midrangy' material, this combo is certainly worth an audition and you should not be put off by comments around the net about ATC's need 150W + of power.

That said, I have heard my speakers with a Pass Labs X250. Wow, very impressive, massive control of the bass line, percussion was the best I and the owner of the amp has probably heard (especially from a such a small speaker). The amp was so good though, you really would want to stay away from badly recorded material, it rendered it near un-listenable - so I guess nothing new here from that respect, as you read this everywhere.

Personally, I would put the little Nait ahead of even the ATC in terms of an enjoyable listen.

I need to try it more with a wider range of music, but so far I am pretty addicted.

Interesting the small Nait XS can drive the SCM 20 SL. That is refreshing to hear. I often read about the SCM19 (not to mention 20SL) needing at least a 282/250 DR to come alive, ideally an NAP300 to sound spectacular. Though it's an overkill to use £15,000 worth of amplification with £2,000 worth of speakers.

I used my 40s with an 82/250 setup for a while. They sounded fine, I swapped for the ATC amp as the 250 was getting pretty hot sometimes, and the integrated amp is a lot neater than a pile of Naim boxes. Certainly no night and day difference in SQ.

There were reports of the NAP250 (olive range) going into thermal shutdown when driving a pair of SCM19s. The listening levels were high though.

I have listened to the Nait XS (not XS2) and the NAC202/NAP200 in my system. The Nait XS needs the Hicap to sound good. It will sound rather mediocre without one. [...]

[...]The Nait XS sounds warmer and more organic in comparison. If the Nait XS sounds almost similar to the XS2, chances are the SCM7 will sound more lively and dynamic with the added drive of the Naim separates.

[...]

Not sure I am following you. Are you saying the Nait(s) do have the grunt to drive the SCM7's? (My setup is Nait XS2 powered by FlatCap XS.)

Not sure I am following you. Are you saying the Nait(s) do have the grunt to drive the SCM7's? (My setup is Nait XS2 powered by FlatCap XS.)

Apologies for being unclear. I am just describing on the differences between the Nait XS and 202/200. I did not have the SCM7s on both Nait XS and 202/200. If you find the NAP200 to drive the SCM7s well enough, I wager the Nait XS2 will do fine. Perhaps others who have experience will be able to help with your question.

advertisement

Back