advertisement

ATC SCM40: Which finish would you suggest?

Peter McDermott

pfm Member
Hi Everyone,

I've got some SCM40s on home demo at the moment and really like them.

They are in the cherry finish. I quite like it but they look a bit orange, perhaps not as nice as they appear in the adverts.

They have been the dealer's demo pair for some time, so it could be just that they've aged this way.

I don't want the white versions, I've seen them and they are not for me.

Just wondered what any owners experiences are of the three other finishes: Cherry; black ash; satin black?

How do they age? What do you like about the one you selected?

Peter

Cherry is the best. Full stop. That’s what I had from new and never regretted the decision. Just do it, you know it makes sense.

As someone who has had ATC SCM7s in Cherry, quite a few speakers in Black Ash and some Larsen 4.2s in Satin Black (the ATC SCM10 has a satin black baffle too), I would say Black Ash.

Satin Black (painted) looks lovely when new, but it shows up fingerprints/grease badly and any scratch will stand out.

Black Ash will stay the same through the speakers life.

But if you like the Cherry, then there is not really an option. Its a pity that they don't do any other finishes like Oak, Walnut or Rosewood/Rosenut etc for a bit of variety.

Cherry changes over time and there's no change with Black Ask, Satin White or Satin Black.

Fwiw, we've sold more Satin White and Satin Black finishes since ATC introduced them two years ago. Just in the last week we've sold Satin White SCM19's passive monitors, Satin Black C1C MK2, Satin Black SCM11's and Satin White SCM40 passive monitors. And earlier on today we had some new Satin White SCM19 passive monitors and a C1C MK2 Satin Black delivered with a new C3C MK2 Satin Black and a new pair of SCM40A active monitors in Satin White finish on their way.

I'm veering towards the black ash, at the moment. Can see where you are coming from re the satin black and fingerprints Hoopsontoast.

Has the cherry finish changed much, Fourlegs?

I’ve got black ash at home but have ordered a pair in cherry. I think the black baffle & grill do jar a little with the wood but I prefer it overall. I am not that bothered about how they look, they sound bloody awesome.

Mine are in white, my music room is predominantly black & white colour scheme, so any wood finish wouldn’t look right.
Then again, a mate has the cherry finish scm40’s as his lounge has wood/ oak furniture.
So it really comes down to what will look good in the room.

I'm veering towards the black ash, at the moment. Can see where you are coming from re the satin black and fingerprints Hoopsontoast.

Has the cherry finish changed much, Fourlegs?

There was slight sun fade which happens with any wood veneer but I didnt notice a marked difference.

It’s pity that the 40 is not available in the gloss walnut the model 50 upwards have as an option. The pair I saw looked stunning.I guess it would have to be the black ash for me.

There was slight sun fade which happens with any wood veneer but I didnt notice a marked difference.
That sounds odd to me, as cherry is one if those woods that darkens with age, especially in sunlight. There are finishes with UV filters designed to reduce this, which perhaps ATC are using.

I had black ash 11's, I got the impression they'd 'fingerprint' from touching them long term. Cherry would be my choice.

It’s pity that the 40 is not available in the gloss walnut the model 50 upwards have as an option. The pair I saw looked stunning.I guess it would have to be the black ash for me.
I agree, the ATC Entry level is let down by the quality of the finish compared to other brands in my opinion. Having said that, these Chinese made cabinets are probably part of the reason they are such good value. Still, that and the ridiculous looking grilles are a deal breaker for me.

That sounds odd to me, as cherry is one if those woods that darkens with age, especially in sunlight. There are finishes with UV filters designed to reduce this, which perhaps ATC are using.

I was going to say the exact same thing. I have Spendor A6R in cherry and they have darkened quite noticeably. In fact, I left the grills off all the time rather than just for playing when I noticed how much lighter the wood under the grill was becoming. I really like the finish BTW and prefer the aged colour to the as-manufactured colour. Personally I would never go for black ash on an expensive speaker since to me it is synonymous with cheapo, vinyl-wrapped boxes. Of the choices listed, I would go for cherry. Black satin sounds like a finger-print nightmare.

Stop being a pedant! I said fade but I meant change due to sunlight. Ok? Crikely, I didn’t know the objectivists had got into sun fading, sorry change due to sunlight on veneers. ;):):) Actually people still often refer to sunlight fading even when it goes darker. I think we are all saying the same thing anyway.

the ATC Entry level is let down by the quality of the finish compared to other brands in my opinion.

Imo the Entry Series Cherry and Black Ash finishes are as good as offerings from other brands. On the other hand the quality of the new Satin Black and Satin White finishes is spot on and superior to that offered by many other brands. Hence why we’ve sold more Satin Black and Satin White finishes over the last two years.

Satin White cabinets with black ATC drive units and the Blue ATC Acoustic Engineers badge. A great contrast and one which looks classy :cool:

I would say 'yew' but presumably it's not an option. My SCM50ASL still look interesting after more than 10 years. I think they cost me about 3 sets of four legged cables.

advertisement

Back