advertisement

ATC SCM11

allthingsanalog

pfm Member
I mentioned this in another thread but just purchased a pair of ATC SCM11s, wow, these are seriously good speakers. I've got the 7s here also on demo but ordered the 11's. They're just so open and airy and boy can they go loud with no distortion.

I thought the 11's would be too big for my room but couldn't be more wrong, the bass is so controlled. I can't wait for my new pair to arrive. I can only imagine what the 19's would be like!

69E4CB00-2797-4C58-9A0C-227B0C5A93B5_zpsl2cgisnl.jpg

510FA619-EF5E-4C6A-A4E9-0FC05FAB658A_zpshnuv1dmx.jpg

Serious stuff!

C0B3A227-ACCA-460C-99D8-E3A003FC25B2_zps27ub3nhe.png

Hi allthingsanalog

Nice one. Your systems looking good :cool:

Btw, curved SCM19's are fabulous :) The SL spec. mid/bass unit is massive and weighs nearly as much as a complete curved SCM11!

ATC%20Drive%20Units%2001%20edit.jpg

All the best

Rick @ Musicratt

Hi allthingsanalog

Btw, curved SCM19's are fabulous :) The SL spec. mid/bass unit is massive and weighs nearly as much as a complete curved SCM11!

All the best

Rick @ Musicratt

Thanks for the kind words.

I was shocked how heavy the 11s were!

Using them with an A49 amplifier, i have to admit i was tempted by a SN2 but I'm pretty sure the A49 is a better match.

I heard ATCs for the first time recently, and came away thoroughly impressed. Heard them in admittedly subpar conditions, but they really stood out to me from the various Harbeths, Spendors and Rogers speakers that I also heard in the same setup.

The ATCs were just so open and transparent; they really made those other speakers sound "boxy."

I heard ATCs for the first time recently, and came away thoroughly impressed. Heard them in admittedly subpar conditions, but they really stood out to me from the various Harbeths, Spendors and Rogers speakers that I also heard in the same setup.

The ATCs were just so open and transparent; they really made those other speakers sound "boxy."

They have replaced Spendor S3/5r2, there is no comparrison. I also tried Russell K red 50s for a week but felt I wouldn't be able to live with them long term. These I knew within the first few minutes they were the ones.

Agree with that one... I had mk1 19's with sia2-150 and stupidly sold them and tried lots of others but now back with mk2 19 and they are staying...if only I could buy back my ATC sia 2-150!

Allthingsanalog,

Interesting reading about your findings with the SCM7 and 11's. I’ve still not ever heard a pair of ATC speakers as there are no dealers nearby, but I do want to try and hear a set before I replace my ageing MA’s.

That’s an interesting observation if you had the RK50’s in for a week and preferred the ATC’s. The RK50 (and 100’s for that matter), are my current benchmark boxes and am still pondering about buying them. What were the weak points of the RK in comparison to the ATC’s?

Allthingsanalog,

Interesting reading about your findings with the SCM7 and 11's. I’ve still not ever heard a pair of ATC speakers as there are no dealers nearby, but I do want to try and hear a set before I replace my ageing MA’s.

That’s an interesting observation if you had the RK50’s in for a week and preferred the ATC’s. The RK50 (and 100’s for that matter), are my current benchmark boxes and am still pondering about buying them. What were the weak points of the RK in comparison to the ATC’s?

I found them 'to busy' sounding in the top end, there was so much detail but found it to be overwhelming and not organised enough if that makes any sense?

Hi allthingsanalog

ATC%20Drive%20Units%2001%20edit.jpg

All the best

Rick @ Musicratt

How much better are the 19s, will they work in a similair size room as the 11s, about 6mtr by 3mtr?

They will work a treat. I wanted 11 and walked out with 19's from James at db.
. my room is 4.5 x3.5 and they fire across the shorter axis . The 19 is a more ballsy 11 with more bass but not overwhelming and the mid dome on the sl driver projects vocals in an uncanny way..go back to James at db and have a listen..
They take an absolute age to run in though. Mine are nearly 4 months old and aren't there yet but they're only used weekends

Thanks for the response AA. Very interesting. I found the RK’s really open, engaging and more importantly much more entertaining than the other speakers compared on the dem. I’m going to have to make the effort to try and drive to hear ATC's and compare them to the RK’s. Maybe that’s why ATC’s seem to hold their value (on ebay) so well compared to many rival brands ;)

I know it may well be sacrilege to the real wood veneer fans to even suggest it, but I think they look good in the white too. I know, burn the witch !

Plus, this image gives a good comparison to the size difference between the bookshelf speakers.

atc-entry-series-black-white.jpg

They will work a treat. I wanted 11 and walked out with 19's from James at db.
. my room is 4.5 x3.5 and they fire across the shorter axis . The 19 is a more ballsy 11 with more bass but not overwhelming and the mid dome on the sl driver projects vocals in an uncanny way..go back to James at db and have a listen..
They take an absolute age to run in though. Mine are nearly 4 months old and aren't there yet but they're only used weekends

Just emailed James and ordered the 19's!

Im sure they'll be superb.

Yeah baby!

Cant wait. I was lucky as James had already ordered the 11s for me but has changed the order.

That bass driver looks nice........ These speakers weigh @ in over 17kg each according the manual.

103A875A-3D5F-456C-83E1-440A2CE122A4_zps58rthpbr.png

I had scm11. Very good monitors with quality bass. Natural and transparent. But there are 2 problems. They need strong amplification to preform well and you need to commit yourself to listening. Those are not sperakers for lower volume backgroud music sesions. They need a bit more volume to sound great.

Yeah baby!

Cant wait. I was lucky as James had already ordered the 11s for me but has changed the order.

That bass driver looks nice........ These speakers weigh @ in over 17kg each according the manual.

103A875A-3D5F-456C-83E1-440A2CE122A4_zps58rthpbr.png
Excellent stuff ..so those 11's were on home demo then I take it..what amp you using out of interest as we are both now running the same dac & spkrs...

advertisement

Back