advertisement

ATC LE. Wow!

I was never sure of the split veneer on side of the standard versions. I would have thought that veneer was available full width.
One question I have though. I believe the model numbers are based on the cabinet volume, if so then a classic 150 is 150l does that mean the tower and special models have a false base or a larger internal volume?

When I had 100s, in yew veneer, I always thought that they'd done a somewhat poor job on the veneer choice, with quite small pieces which ended up repeating too much. Another pair of yew ATCs I saw - 50s - had a far superior veneer, with much larger pieces having been used. I would prefer full panel veneers, or at least half panels and a subtle join. Those ATCs in the link look better than mine did, more in line with the 50s I saw (albeit in that glossy finish that might look spectacular or wrong, depending on your preferences). Strangely, the hugely cheaper AVI speakers I once had - again, in a yew finish - had a far, far superior finish to my ATCs.... I guess it's easier to get a top-end result on a smaller box?

I was never sure of the split veneer on side of the standard versions. I would have thought that veneer was available full width.
One question I have though. I believe the model numbers are based on the cabinet volume, if so then a classic 150 is 150l does that mean the tower and special models have a false base or a larger internal volume?
They look to have the same dimensions as the 'legacy' 150ASLT but there must be a bit of extra volume inside from taking the amp packs out of the cabinets.
Now, if they did a burred magnolia version........ :)

It’s a “false base”.

However, I’ve had Active 50s in standard and tower form, and in my opinion the false base of the towers has a slightly negative impact on bass cleanliness.

I ordered 50’s in Yew and Ben told me they were having difficulty sourcing veneer which was wide enough, I believe Yew has now been dropped as an option?
Keith

I think these 150’s are much more expensive than normal version. 40 or 50k or something like it. Having a good time with my 100s at the moment . The minidsp shd really working well. Just had a firmware update around Dirac 3. Seems to work much better . Previously I had Dirac switched off

Am I the only one who finds it somewhat ironic that a company that promotes its products based on superior technical performance, offer this sort of marketing trickery.

I guess you sell to the professional and engineering sector based on technical excellence and to Joe public based on marketing (and technical excellence!).

Joe Public has a lot to answer for, if I ever meet him I’ll have words!

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one who finds it somewhat ironic that a company that promotes its products based on superior technical performance, offer this sort of marketing trickery.
Probably. I am sure the product still has strong technical performance.

In the context of high end speakers that is probably very good value given it has its own amplification.

I would definitely look at these for an end game system but how much better are they than the standard 150?

I think having the off-board P6 would offer some improvement, due to microphonics, but anyway, that's not a bad price for what you get. Get yourself a top streamer, and away you go.

Having the extra cables between the P6 and the cabinets also give the possibility of trying different cables, just to piss off Mr Arkless

advertisement

Back