advertisement

ATC launch SCS70 Pro 12” active subwoofer.

I was so excited when I see this thread... Until I realise its for subwoofer which serves a very very very niche segment.

Thought after 10 years, they are relaunching the new entry speakers

Expensive application of traditional technology and seems like they don't high pass the main speakers, which is a shame.

High passing the mains would avoid the ported bass of the main speakers and an LR4 response would sum correctly with the LR4 low pass of the sub(s).
ATC’s argument for not doing so is:

“All ATC loudspeakers deliver significant low frequency output, more so with the larger monitors in the range, therefore there will always be some degree of acoustic overlap between the subwoofer and stereo loudspeaker in this configuration. Applying a high pass filter to the main monitors will introduce phase shift in the main monitors and should be avoided where possible. Good results can be achieved through experimentation with the subwoofer Level, Frequency and Phase adjustment.”

From section 6.1 of their manual

I can see their logic but I found it very beneficial to the sound to integrate my stereo subs "accurately".
In my case I use the 2nd order "natural" roll-off of the mains plus a 2nd order active high pass, with a 4th order LP on the subs. I've also tried the ATC method.

I am not sure there is a need to yet, they are still getting good reviews, especially the SCM40 https://www.stereonet.com/uk/reviews/atc-scm40-loudspeaker-review .
Perhaps not. I thought it still looks modern and perform really well. Not introducing a new line is also great for the environment and shows they stay true to the good ol' "we built this to last forever" adage.

But.. I just love atc too much. Would at least love to see them introduce new veneer to their entry line.

Perhaps not. I thought it still looks modern and perform really well. Not introducing a new line is also great for the environment and shows they stay true to the good ol' "we built this to last forever" adage.

But.. I just love atc too much. Would at least love to see them introduce new veneer to their entry line.
You could have them vinyl wrapped in any finish you want these days...

advertisement

Back